The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Soybean oil - where to buy in bulk?

For those of you who feed it- where do you buy it in bulk? Freight charges seem to be astronomical and driving to get it every month is not practical either.

Thanks!

Costco sells it in 35lb jugs, that's where we get ours.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Note that most "vegetable" oil IS soybean oil

And yes, the membership stores have the big jugs. Just make sure you get the kind without added anti-foaming agents added.

Blacktree - if I can't find it on Costco's website is it still likely they would have it in store?

It would be better if you have a small fry roaster, extruder in the area to buy it thru them than from the store. Ask around...ask farmers. Especially dairy farmers.

Tho there are getting to be fewer due to the price of beans it was not long ago that several mobile roaster, extruders serviced our area. They would set up at different farms a couple days a week and roast beans for the dairies and such. Set up at home a couple days a week and roast also. You can buy the whole roasted beans (somtimes ground to a meal but oil still there....here they call that product Dews...I do not know why), SB meal, and a darker/ heavier oil than what you get at the store. It has a wonderful nutty aroma.

But better than the nutty aroma (which I, the horses, the cats and the dogs love), this oil is lecithin rich. Better for horses especially ulcer prone horses than the typical clear oil from the store.

I can make due with lots of different ingredients in my ration. But I will not make due without whole roasted soybeans and this dark, lecithin rich oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion1024 View Post
    Blacktree - if I can't find it on Costco's website is it still likely they would have it in store?
    Yes. I have never seen a Costco that didn't have the big jugs of some kind of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion1024 View Post
    I bet it is, a lot of restaurants buy oil in bulk from Costco. They have a few types of oil. The soy oil is the best price, that jug is in a white box with green writing on it.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

I KNOW I have seen it at Costco. I don't think the website is inclusive.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I recently looked at Costco's soybean oil and noticed that it had some kind of citric acid in it as a preservative. I passed on it for that reason.