The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Any Hope for the Poorly Repaired Blanket??

So I bought this "lightly used" Rhino turnout sheet only to find that it has been badly patched. The lining tore in 4 places, so whoever did the repair was an IDIOT and sewed patches on through all the layers of the sheet, so, geez, big surprise, it now leaks. Had they just patched the lining without sewing through to the outside, it would have been fine. Seller was nice, said they missed it (big white and gray patches on black lining...hard to see...???) and gave me half the money back, so I figure I'll try to fix it.

But can I? I was thinking if I got some of the waterproof seam sealer for tents and stuff, and ran that round the stitching, that might do it. Does that sound right? I did a shower test on the sheet (ran water over it for awhile in the shower -- water seeped through on the patch stitching but rest seemed ok), so I think if I can seal the stitching, it will be ok.

Or do I cut my losses and sell it as a stable sheet, as I have no need for anything non waterproof.

And, yeah, I don't buy Rhino often as I know they are crap, but figured I'd have it as a backup sheet (have good Rambo as primary) -- and it would be fine had not Sally Stitch-Happy done a number on it.

If I do use a sealer, any specific products you recommend?

Personally, I'd chuck it.

I understand about not wanting to waste your money, though. I'd get a rain sheet to go on top of it it, if you're only planning on using it as a back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

The rain sheet might work, or possibly seam sealer and then cover the seams in duct tape. It won't be pretty but it might do in a pinch.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

YES you can fix it! I repair all of my blankets myself. When one gets torn, I hand stitch the hole closed, then go over the stitching with fabric adhesive.

This stuff is a water proof, washable, flexible (rubber like) product that when applied over the re-stitched areas, makes them water tight.

I have blankets that have gone through multiple seasons and washings with glue covered repairs and they are still totally waterproof.

2 members found this post helpful.

The seam sealer will work. Use it where the stitching is and it will waterproof the thread and seal the holes.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

horsepoor is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the link - I'll get some of that. I had some of the Rambo Stormsure stuff, but used it once and then it hardened up in the tube and is unusable -- didn't get much use out of that!

I washed the sheet in Rambo Wash since it came kind of smelly too -- do I need to do anything to prepare it for putting the seam sealer stuff on (clean off with alcohol or ??)?

Thanks for the help!

Nope, the stuff sticks to anything - its rubbery and gooey. As long as it is clean, with no lose dirt you should be fine.

Make the hole at the top of the bottle very small - otherwise too much comes out at once. Have a rag handy to wipe your hands etc. I apply it with the squeeze bottle, then wet my finger (which keeps it from sticking) and then go over the glue with my finger to press it in the seams and flat against the blanket.

It dries fairly quickly as well.