The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation WARMBLOOD STALLION SUGGESTIONS FOR 2013

I am a small time breeder in Maryland. I have bred Welsh ponies since 1995 and recently have bred a couple KWPN approved foals as well. I understand the bloodlines and appreciate them but tend to lean much more towards breeding for talent and purpose rather than breeding for the "blood". I have 2 mares I am looking to breed this spring both have been wonderful broodmares in the past. I have always competed much more geared for the Jumper arena but lately with my last 2 Dutch offspring, undeniably more suited for the Hunter arena, I have switched gears.
    Long story short I am open to any and all suggestions for suitable stallions for these two mares. (Hoping to get my Jumper out of the bay one Heaven Sent) I know there are many far more knowledgeable people on here then I am and am truly always willing and eager to be educated....!!

Both Mares are Jockey club approved and are bred pretty well (a lot of black type), also approved for KWPN breeding.

***Both Mares can be viewed here*****

http://www.windywaywelshponies.com/mares.php(scroll to bottom)

Price ceiling per stud fee:$2,000

Lady of Dover- Hoping to get a Hunter type foal, Fabulous Mover!!(not very tight with the front end O/F), Very Easy and Laid back temperament! Looking for a shorter coupled stallion because this mare is too long in the back for me, something also that will add height to her 15.2 stature, and I find her kind of ugly in the head. (my 12.2 pony stallion pretty-ed her head right up with last 2 foals)

Heaven Sent-(wish I could clone this one and make it 17hh) Looove this mare! Super athletic mare, fabulous jumper, very light to ride, tries soo hard, jumps fabulous from any distance! Last foal is Lovely (sire is ISF Judgment) but I know there is potential with this mare to have something spectacular. This will be her last foal she is 20 this year.
    Any Help Appreciated...

Brittany
    windywaywelshponies.com

1 members found this post helpful.

So when you say they are Jockey club approved, are you actually saying they are registered with JC and approved for KWPN? I dont think JC approves anything other than JC.

Both tattooed JC TBs approved by KWPN...yes

I think I would use "Just the Best" for a nice KWPN hunter.

I of course love Ironman, but I doubt you want to breed Gray x Gray. Here is my Ironrose by Ironman out of a TB mare: http://www.herselffarm.com/images/Be...esized_web.jpg more: http://www.herselffarm.com/IronRose.html

For a jumper, you may want to consider Legaczy http://www.newblessingfarm.com/Stallion.php While he is a hunter stallion, his sire Alla Czar is by Zeus one of the best jumper sires of all time. His dam is by Buntspecht de Lauzelle, who jumped 7 ft at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto. Plus Legaczy is here in Maryland.

You could also consider Ironman for a jumper foal as he himself was an accomplished Grand Prix Jumper.

All the stallion owners above are terrific to work with!
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Take a look at Cartier R for Lady of Dover Photo link attached.

Good luck and happy shopping
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartier Conformation.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	37260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartier R Trot small.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	37261  

Apiro might be a good choice for Lady of Dover for a nice hunter foal or Cunningham..
    Couple others for LOD: Concerto Grosso, C. Quito, Crown Affair

For Heaven Sent and its her last foal I would pick something proven:

You could do Cunningham on her as well or Balou Du Rouet, Indoctro, ROC USA.. Etc..

Look at the leading sires for the last few years on USEF and who has the most offpring performing at the levels you want to ride..

I know Indoctro is always in the top 5.

Good Luck! I love a great TB!
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Default CONCERTO GROSSO > $750 Stud fee for TB & WB mares

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Apiro might be a good choice for Lady of Dover for a nice hunter foal or Cunningham..
    Couple others for LOD: Concerto Grosso, C. Quito, Crown Affair

For Heaven Sent and its her last foal I would pick something proven:

You could do Cunningham on her as well or Balou Du Rouet, Indoctro, ROC USA.. Etc..

Look at the leading sires for the last few years on USEF and who has the most offpring performing at the levels you want to ride..

I know Indoctro is always in the top 5.

Good Luck! I love a great TB!
    Thanks for the plug!

[edit]

Rosemarie Merle-Smith
    www.virginiafieldhunters.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Concer...575824?ref=hl#
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Nov. 30, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: advertising violation

2 members found this post helpful.

Amazing would fit your criteria for Lady of Dover. He has a fantastic front end over fences, pins well in the hacks, and is a giant puppy dog to boot. He is short coupled and is passing this along to his offspring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pregreen ky.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	37267
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Be sure to check out our boy Beste Gold. He will add some size, passes along gentle intelligence, exceptional inner qualities, very good rhythmic movement and incredible scope. Most of his babies are first young horses ( keepers from their favorite mare) for Amateurs. He is the sire of Beste Intentions (showing in MD) , Dr Deb Kelly's Beste 4 Me and Elizabeth Lubrano's All My Beste. All of these are the first of his offspring in the hunter rings and are all showing great promise. We invite u to the farm to see other younger offspring in person.
    In between growth spurts, some of these have been very successful in hand as well.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

2 members found this post helpful.

I reeealllly like my Just The Best- very very feminine, pretty head and athletic. Although may not be what you're looking for in height- I bred a 16hh Rio/XX mare to him 16.1(I think is what he is) and should end up with 16.1/16.2 filly. She is very short coupled, well put together and is supppper amateur friendly. Does not care about a thing in the world.

So why did the mods edit one post from an SO for an "advertising violation", but leave other posts from other SOs recommending their own stallion? What am I missing regarding the advertising policy?

Default Whim

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    So why did the mods edit one post from an SO for an "advertising violation", but leave other posts from other SOs recommending their own stallion? What am I missing regarding the advertising policy?
    IMO the moderators have always been inconsistent in application of the advertising policy. Generally, stallion owners have been exempt and this extends to offspring they have for sale.

For Lady of Dover, I'd look hard at Balt'Amour. Conformationally, he's a sure bet at strengthing her topline and hind end and helping her front end jumping technique without the risk of losing her movement.

Heaven Sent... do you have a conformation picture? What do you want to improve?

I second the recommendation of Balt'Amour for Lady of Dover. He has an exceptional top line and lovely form over a fence.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...nell/bell2.jpghttp://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...ELLFINALS1.jpghttp://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...l/BELLBEAU.jpghttp://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...BELLFINALS.jpgBalt'Amour is my #1 pick at the moment for the grey mare Dover. I have been talking with them quite a bit about this potential cross. Have you heard of their other Stallion Bliss?! Im impressed with him as well and he did fabulous at his Stallion Test . Was thinking of that one for my Bay mare Heaven sent... also attached a picture of Heaven Sent, I couldn't find on my work computer a conformation photo but attached the ones I did have. I love everything about this mare, temperment, conformation and how freakishly atheletic she is. She is small (which never was an issue for her at all) but I would like to get a foal to at least the 16.1 mark. Her topline is the only thing if im being really picky I would like to improve and her croup slopes off at a little bit too much of an angel but those would be the only two areas I would need to work on. Shes put together wonderfully! I appreciate your feed back and help!
    Quote Originally Posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
    For Lady of Dover, I'd look hard at Balt'Amour. Conformationally, he's a sure bet at strengthing her topline and hind end and helping her front end jumping technique without the risk of losing her movement.

Heaven Sent... do you have a conformation picture? What do you want to improve?

FWIW I think Apiro is an outstanding cross to a TB. Every single one - and there are a lot to see- have his outstanding topline, uphill frame, great movement, and are incredibly attractive. They jump well too. And he is has proven himself in the hunter ring at 3 6 and in the Working hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    FWIW I think Apiro is an outstanding cross to a TB. Every single one - and there are a lot to see- have his outstanding topline, uphill frame, great movement, and are incredibly attractive. They jump well too. And he is has proven himself in the hunter ring at 3 6 and in the Working hunters.
    Agree
    My Apiro weanling is such a sweet boy and can't wait to see what he becomes the mare I used is SWANA x tb he added bone and height to the mare. Loved the foal so much I rebred!