The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Managing ulcers post-Gastrogard treatment

I see many threads on this but am still confused Do I need to get a daily supplement of some sort (ie. pop rocks, U7), or can they be managed by dosing w/ Gastrogard pre-and-post stressful activities?

Depends on the horse, LOL!

In all seriousness, it really does. I manage my horse to try to limit stress, unlimited forage available, and administered UlcerGard paste during times of known stress (which was tyipically trailering).

She is starting to show signs of ulcery issues this fall, similar to how she showed trouble before we confirmed her ulcers with a scope last January.

Some horses do fine with changes in management to help prevent them.

Some horses need a daily supplement, which folks have decided work as intended because the horse remains symptom free.

Some horses it doesnt' matter what you do, or what supplements you feed daily, they may need a low dose of GastroGard or UlcerGard daily to really keep them at bay (it also depends on whether the horse has other issues such as delayed gastric emptying).

Really...its trial and error with every horse.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

I feed alfalfa chops morning and night to my main riding horse. She gets about 1/2 scoop. Helps to neutralize stomach acid. She's never had ulcers but she is a keen horse so I use a preventative. Also, she gets no grain, just excellent quality hay.

1 members found this post helpful.

After my horse's ulcers, I make sure she always has hay so her stomach is never empty. I also give her half a tube for 2 days before and 2 days after anything remotely stressful (clipping, trailering,...).

We also "studied" her stress factors and realized she would be very upset whenever her neighbor horse would leave his box to be ridden, so I ask her groom to take her out before and walk her or put her in the paddock.

We have rescoped recently and she is 100% ulcer free!

Thanks for the great replies! I am going to order some of the pop rocks to have on hand. I don't want to give them daily, but will try on an as-needed basis to start out. SCMSL, great idea to study the stress factors - I know my guy definitely doesn't like it when his girlfriend in the neighboring stall goes out to work

Timely post! Mine is about 3 weeks into the GGard and I've been wondering what to do when we're done with it.

I'm getting the impression that she just interalizes everything...since she never seemed particularly upset about anything till she started acting up 'cause of the ulcers!

Is there a recommended taper downfalls when getting off ulcer medicine, to prevent rebound acid from popping up?

to prevent rebound acid from popping up?
    Yes! After the recommended time using a hole syringe of GG, give 1/2 a syringe for 45 more days.

But the most important thing is to keep your horse's stomach with something in it. I make sure I leave enough hay at night so there is still some in the morning. My vet also prescribed a mash which the groom prepares in the morning and feeds throughout the day. Whatever's not eaten during the day is left for her to eat at night. She is ulcer-free and slowly (and finally) putting on some weight.

Oh, and in our case, it was also very important to change the feeding order so she's the first one to eat. Seeing her mates getting their grain and having to wait for even 5 minutes was another stress-factor.

I'm getting the impression that she just interalizes everything...
    Mine's the same, I've never seen her pacing in her box or doing anything else usually related to stress. But we "studied" her

I know it may seem kind of crazy, but I slept at the barn for about 2 weeks and saw what made her stress.

P.S.: If you want your horse to be ulcer-free, get ready to be a PITA to your barn's staff. But hey, they understood how expensive it is to treat a horse with this condition and saw how much suffering went into caring for her, so they obliged to my silly requests

My TB did really great on omeprazole (I had him on both the pop rocks and GG at different times).....until the daily dose caused him to colic badly, twice (after 4 months on it). It's a shame because it was making him an easy keeper for the first time in his life.

So after he came home from the vet hospital the second time (and we finally figured out that the gas colics were most likely a result of the omeprazole), I changed his diet a bit. He's still on 24/7 orchard grass and 1 flake per day of alfalfa. And he's on the same complete feed + Glanzen supplement. But now he also gets probiotics (Equerry's Choice), Succeed, and apple cider vinegar (1 oz morning and night). I've been surprised to see that he's cleaning up his grain (and hay) like he did on the omeprazole and nickering for more (which he has never done before). He's an eating machine for the first time in the 7 years I've had him.

I don't know if what I've got him on now is enough to address existing ulcers (I think the pop rocks/Gastroguard took care of that while he was on it), but it's certainly been enough to keep him in great shape ever since the vet clinic 8 weeks ago.

My vet wanted me to put him on probiotics, apple cider vinegar, and aloe vera juice. I opted out of the aloe vera juice only because I didn't want to add a ton of stuff and then not know what helped. And he's doing so well now that I don't want to add it since I don't need to at the moment. He was already on the probiotics before the second colic, so while I don't doubt that they help the digestive system, I haven't seen a big difference. But I would give a thumbs up to Succeed (I'll move to [cheaper] oat bran as soon as I get through this container) and apple cider vinegar. And the bonus with the AC Vinegar is that it's super cheap.

I have heard of all the supplements for ulcers that you have listed except the apple cider vinegar. How does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Is there a recommended taper downfalls when getting off ulcer medicine, to prevent rebound acid from popping up?
    I was told 2 weeks of 1/2 tube then 2 weeks of 1/4 tube.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Yes! After the recommended time using a hole syringe of GG, give 1/2 a syringe for 45 more days.
    Who recommended another 45 days at a half a dose??? My vet suggested 1/2 tube daily for a week, then 1/4 tube daily for another week to taper down. Doing 45 days at a half tube is another 23 tubes of Gastro or UlcerGard. After the original 28 tubes, who can afford to do that?!

Mine's the same, I've never seen her pacing in her box or doing anything else usually related to stress. But we "studied" her

I know it may seem kind of crazy, but I slept at the barn for about 2 weeks and saw what made her stress.
    This works...if your horse shows outward signs of stress. If you have an internalizer, like me, you have NO IDEA what causes stress because the horse is the picture of calm 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Who recommended another 45 days at a half a dose??? My vet suggested 1/2 tube daily for a week, then 1/4 tube daily for another week to taper down. Doing 45 days at a half tube is another 23 tubes of Gastro or UlcerGard. After the original 28 tubes, who can afford to do that?!
    Different vets recommend different things...I'm currently treating per my vet's instructions, which are 30 days of one tube a day and 30 days of half a tube a day.

who can afford to do that?!
    And who can afford to re-treat a couple of months later because not all the ulcers got 100% cured and the horse's condition worsens again?

After a short course of GG, I put my OTTB on SmartGut from SmartPak. That worked well!

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    And who can afford to re-treat a couple of months later because not all the ulcers got 100% cured and the horse's condition worsens again?
    And this is why you SCOPE to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    I was told 2 weeks of 1/2 tube then 2 weeks of 1/4 tube.
    Yes, this sounds much more reasonable than 45 days at a half tube!

And this is why you SCOPE to know for sure.
    ~

Yes, but the problem with scoping, as you know, is you can only check for ulcers in the stomach. But you usually miss the ones on the pylorus and you can't see if there are any in the duodenum or frontal part of the small intestine.

I prefer to spend a bit more cash and be sure its a 100% dealt with.

P.S.: A professor at my college made a study recently about the effect of 1/2 vs 1/4 tube of GG on the maintenance fase of ulcer treatment. There is 75% more efficiency when using 1/2 a tube then 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    I have heard of all the supplements for ulcers that you have listed except the apple cider vinegar. How does that help?
    I have GERD (gastric acid reflux) and talking with other humans with Gerd, some of them have said it helps. I have not tried it yet.

Default Papaya Juice

I babysat an endurance horse that was treated with a papaya juice remedy that I've seen in catalogs but can't remember the name of. It worked very well, was affordable, and the horse liked it.