The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feline Acne

Any ideas for combatting this? I've taken her to the vet and recieved an ointment to wash her chin (starts with a G- can't remember what it's called!) and then Bactroban ointment as well. After two weeks this treatment has done nothing and her chin is looking worse. I plan on taking her to the vet again in the next couple of days. Poor kitty's chin its so itchy and she's making it bleed quite often. Any ideas to throw at the vet for a more aggressive/effective treatment?

You haven't tried keeping the zits clean with hydrogen peroxide?

That worked for the one cat that had the one blackhead that I had. Both, however, were outsized.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I will try that. I was worried that hydrogen peroxide would really sting? Or is that just rubbing alcohol?

Strangely as I was thinking about calling the vet, the phone rang and it was the vet calling to see how she was doing- so we have another appt booked for tomorrow. The problem right now is that her chin is pretty scabby due to her itching. I'm wondering too if there's an underlying allergy. I think the main cause, though is stress as there's been a lot of upheavle in the house and she's pretty clingy at the moment.

Is she free-feeding or are there specific feeding times? If there's specific feeding times, maybe wiping her chin after she's eaten (if you're not doing that right now) might help to cut down on any drool/food irritating the skin. Periodically wiping her chin down at other times couldn't hurt either.

The process of trying to dry out the acne has probably dried out the surrounding skin and that's why she's scratching. Compound problem.

Switching to a metal feed bowl might help -- plastic harbors bacteria, especially if it has any rough edges. Stainless is easier to get really clean.

I'd also look into it as a possible allergy with her food. It might be worth while to try to eliminate some stuff to see if that's a trigger -- grains are usually the easiest to get rid of first, then limit to one protein source at a time, etc. Obviously switching food is more time intensive since it takes a week or so to switch a cat to a new food, plus the wait to see if there are any results.

ETA: Metal or glass for food bowls...or better yet, a food plate since she wouldn't have any sides to come into contact with.

One of my cats has this problem and here is what my vet had me do. First, he had us switch to stainless steel food and water bowls. He said the plastic type bowls are difficult to clean due to the scratches that come about from normal use.

Then he shaved the area (my cat's chin) and thoroughly cleaned it with betadine solution. He instructed me to also clean the area with the same solution.

This helped a great deal and cleared up the acne.
    Sheilah

2 members found this post helpful.

One of my cats was allergic to all kinds of things (including dogs, LOL). His acne improved quite a bit when we excluded most grains, fish, and poultry from his diet. His whole body, not just his chin, got greasy whenever his allergies flared up.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    I will try that. I was worried that hydrogen peroxide would really sting? Or is that just rubbing alcohol?
    IME, HP stings way less that rubbing alcohol. Try it on yourself, first, and then take the solution to the kitteh.

Lots of Catne comes from dirt n grease n such on their chin after eating. The poor man's solution is to start with keeping it clean and see what you get. It might not take a lot: Even every other day with HP will be cleaner than what kitty had before.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Keeping the chin clean is the key! I prefer the ceramic bowls to the stainless steel. You can put some betadine or chlorhexidine scrub on a little cotton ball and scrub kitty's chin to clean it. I use people Clearasil on my one kitty that gets it from time to time, which works great and is much cheaper than the benzoyl peroxide prescription treatments.

1 members found this post helpful.

My cat has to take megastrol acetate (aka megace) when he has an outbreak. The first time he had it, the vet had me clean it and put neosporin on it because he said it was a staph infection. After a few weeks my cats eyes had swollen shut due to the acne. When I went back because it wasn't clearing up, vet treated for cat acne with megace. So now he has to take half a pill of megace everyday for 8 days and it clears up. He gets a new outbreak every few months and it becomes more frequent when he needs his teeth cleaned.

I had a severe outbreak a few years ago after Science Diet changed its formula and got really greasy. Greasier... After spending much time (a couple of months) and money popping zits and abscesses and scrubbing chins with stridex and expensive long acting antibiotic shots and antibiotic creams most cleared up but a couple did not and I tried bicillin (procaine penicillin) with the rabbit abscess protocal which was 0.225 CC every other day SQ. In a week all gone. ARGH!

I've since had very good luck with it for a kitten who had a bad infection post spay (gone in less than 3 days, in this case I gave her a shot 2 days in a row) and my old mare who had a weird abscess in the ankle that arose from a minor rub but would NOT heal and a cuterebra (sp?) at the same time, that one took a long time to heal too (after exit) but after a week of penicillin they were both healing nicely and free of pus. None of the (more expensive) antibiotics or (for horse) summer sore wormer treatments worked at all! I think people tend to overlook penicillin now because we have fancy expensive drugs but it really is good with plain old infected by bacteria wounds/abscesses. Esp. if they have no history of taking it before.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

P.S. for daily cleaning keeping a thing of baby wipes near the food is useful. I have found they dry out fast though so I put them in a big GLAD food storage bag and toss the box! I also use stridex if anybody has a bit of an outbreak which several do now because the old (ancient) ones started to get it again when I switched to stomach sensitive food (guess it is greasier) and then spread it. Back to much washing of dishes. I feed the clowder their canned food on old cookie sheets.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I have a white cat with chin acne & have found hydrogen peroxide works well. It doesn't sting. Once I tried a stridex pad when she had an open sore...OUCH! It was def. due to the alcohol, not the product itself. I felt bad b/c she was wary of me coming at her with anything after that.

Same white cat also has sebaceous cyst (huge) & a lot of other weird skin tags, stud tail...and she's nuts. I think white animals have issues. No more after this one. Pretty to look at, but jeeeeezum.