The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer size for draft cross

Hi everyone. I am looking at my first trailer. Looking at a standard size (thoroughbred size) Hawk 2h bp straight load. Unless custom made which is not in my budget, Hawks come in thoroughbred and warmblood size. My question is that I'd hate to get the warmblood size because I know it would be overkill for my mare but I'm nervous the width of the standard stall may be a little snug for her. She's a smaller Shire/Standardbred - 15.3 - 16 hands max. 1200 lbs and she wears a 78/80 blanket. I'm not at all concerned about the height and stall length of the standard model just the stall width which when measured from padding on wall to padding on divider, measures 23 inches. Does anyone have any experiences with larger barreled horses in the standard Hawk trailer? Thanks so much!

I have a Clyde/Standardbred and my "propane tank" would not fit width wise into a standard trailer. Just not wide enough.

Since I know custom regular trailers are expensive, peek into the EquiBreeze. I have the Gooseneck Version shown on their site and, even with the XW/XT upgrade, my brand new trailer was 1/2 the price of a fully enclosed.

ETA: I went XT too because I have a 17.3 Percheron as well.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Default You'll be fine!

I hauled my 17.2 Percheron gelding and his 16.1 Percheron momma around in my Hawk tb sized trailer. The gelding used every bit of space on his side, but was not smushed or cramped in it. (he wore an 86 blankie)
    I LOVE Hawk trailers. Congrats!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

ChocoMare - sounds like your Clydes X is big all around . We did look at the EquiBreeze but kind of decided on a fully enclsoed since we live in Rochester, NY.

Kari - how did the momma fit width wise?

And to clarify, I meant the stall width measured 32" not 23'!

Ah, yes, Rochester does get a wee bit chillier!

Yessss, Miss P is only 15.2 but build like a propane tank. I call her The Porkchop
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

How much does Miss P weigh? She sounds like she's built like a brick sh_t house! I call mine full figured

If the horse's barrel is on the wider side, you'll be better served by the WB width. Having "more" space when hauling other horses is preferable to having things too cramped for one you will haul even occasionally. My trailer is "TB" sized and I wouldn't consider putting the BO's big WB on it because of his width in the barrel.

1 members found this post helpful.

I also think you'll be fine with the reg trailer. My mother's 16.3 wide load Shire mare who also happens to be super overweight fits in my standard 2 horse straight load Bp Gore. It might be a snug fit but that's ok ... Nobody needs so much room that they think they should be squirmy.

If your in the Northeast, check out Cotner trailers, love mine. My Clyde mare, 16 hands, 1300#, size 82 blanket fits just fine.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Default If you can afford the big one, get the big one.

Because as soon as you get the smaller one, you will get a bigger horse.

Look at Sundowners. When we went to the Irish Draught national show, I noticed that there were many Sundowners. My 1600 lb Irish Draught and his 1500 lb friend fit very nicely in the 2h Sundowner.