The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ditto again cornhuskers lotion.

Someone else also mentioned paraffin treatments- I did the DIY version and didn't want to wait for a home unit to get shipped as my hands were bleeding and almost impossible to move without crying. I got a smaller crockpot at a thrift store & got a big block of plain, unscented, uncolored candle wax (paraffin) at michaels. Drop a chunk in, let it melt, turn off & let it cool a little, dip a few times & have a second party wrap you up in saran wrap. Hang out looking hilarious for half an hour or so. Peel off. Works WONDERS.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Husband uses this stuff. It stings like a mother initially but seems to work.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/New_..._dir_~des?sb=1
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

1 members found this post helpful.

A friend at work gave me something called "Working Hands". Her husband uses it, he's a mechanic/race car driver/cranberry bog person (whatever they are called) and trashes his hands. It comes in a green jar with bright orange type and is available at hardware stores. It doesn't seem like much, but it really works! And, it has no smell and is not greasy. It's helped a lot.

Last winter, I found a good, intensive treatment by accident . I was making wreaths from pinecones and pine bows I picked up in your yard after a storm and got pine sap all over my hands. I used olive oil to get it off and I don't think my hands have ever been as soft and pliable as after I finally got all that sap and olive oil off my hands!

Default This is what you want... Gloves in a Bottle+Polysporin+Bandaids

http://www.amazon.com/Gloves-In-Bott.../dp/B000UBN5S8

Use this stuff in the morning and it will help prevent the cracks.
    It does not add moisture, for that I like either O'Keefe's Working Hands or George's Hand Cream or a mix of 50/50 Glaxal Base and Vaseline.

If you do get cracked knuckles, treat and bandage them at night before you go to bed. If you put Polysporin Triple Action with Quick Heal in the cracks then cover with a band aid you will find that they heal quite a bit overnight. Do that for a few nights until existing cracks are healed.

Good luck, I have done battle with this frustrating problem and the thing that made the biggest difference for me was treating the cracks and covering with a band aid overnight.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I use Nivea hand and body lotion once or twice during the day, wear gloves when working outside, and Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream overnight.

You may also want to invest in a humidifier for your bedroom if you have forced-air heat and your house is dry like mine.
    Ditto the Neosporin/petroleum jelly on the hands at night. I've never tried the glove trick b/c I don't think I'd be able to sleep with gloves on-I can't sleep with socks on! Footie pajamas were H*LL for me as a kid!

I used to get a jar of this
    http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...=lotil%20creamfor my brother every year for his stocking stuffer. He worked outside for years and this kept his hands from cracking and bleeding.

As I type I have the Hemp Hand Protector on the desk beside me. I love it but the smell is a bit "earthy" for me.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Sweetie1, the light cotton gloves don't bother me like socks did/do. LOL But I TOTALLY know what you're saying.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Default Finger cracks - one more reason to HATE winter...

I've had great success using the gel-based crazy glue to put the cracks back together. I use only natural, moisturizing soaps (no SLS or other sulfates as they pull whatever moisture is in my hands) and follow with hand lotion. I like Udderly Smooth since it's non-greasy. At night, I slather on hand lotion and put on vinyl gloves. In the morning, my hands are hydrated and smooth. (Don't do this if you have semi-infected nicks on your hands (apart from the cracks at the nails). Drinking lots of fluids helps. If it's in the budget, a few days in Florida will fix the hands (warm, humid air). Seriously, the few times I've tried this, my hands were fine in about 12 hours, so really I need to winter in Florida for my health But have cold, north wallet...

Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    If it's really really bad (and cool enough outside to be able to stand this) put neosporin on the cracks and slather the hand cream on, then put on powdered rubber gloves under your riding/barn gloves.
    I would not suggest doing this at all-the powder used in latex exam gloves is extremely drying and can cause severe reactions (similar to chemical burns) This powder is part of the reason my hands are SO BAD from all the sterile gloves I wear (the ones we get are powdered in my practice) If you really want to use gloves to hold the medicated lotions under your riding/barn gloves, I would suggest Powder-Free Nitrile or powder free vinyl (last would be powder free latex)
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I swear by Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream, used as often as you can stand it. It doesn't 100% prevent the cracking but it helps tons.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

There is a product out there called 'glove in a bottle'. It's a type of lotion that gives your hands a really decent barrier when dried. You can't see it on your hands or anything, it absorbs into your skin, and it actually repels water and dirt, I love it for gardening, especially when I pinch tomatoe buds and stems off, my fingers don't go green lol.

It will wash of with soap and water.

Olive oil is also fab for soothing really dry hands. I use it regulary in the winter, it is so cold and dry here in Alberta!

Eta: I just saw Mozart posted the same product, I definitely second this!

ARE YOU USING ANTI-BACTERIAL HAND CLEANSERS??

If yes, that may be your problem. I can't use them or my hands get super chapped and painful, no matter how much I moisturize.

Other posters have good ideas for moisturizing. I'm surprised nobody commented about the cleanser. Maybe it's not a common issue.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!