The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Super Glue does wonders for healing cracks and splits.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

4 members found this post helpful.

Ditto the Zim's Crack Cream recommendation from ChocoMare. DH uses it - no cracked hands. He's a farrier - his hands are outside & exposed to the elements all day long.

Cornhusker's is awesome. I keep it by the sink. I think prevention is the best thing for dry cracked hands. So after every hand wash, I put on that. I like that its not greasy. Its awesome!

I'm going to see if Cornhuskers is available around here.

Today I used the horses feed oil to make it through the day. It actually worked ok.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I like The Body Shop's Hemp Hand Protector Cream - it's pricey, but they are offering it at 50% off right now. I also use O'Keeffe's Working Hands - it's pretty inexpensive and you can get it at alot of places, even Home Depot where I get it!

musher's wax. It's for protecting dog feet from ice. I noticed after applying it to the dogs my hands were essentially waterproofed for several hours- without feeling greasy. It smells good too, kind of piney. Dry, protected hands= no chapping. Now I just apply a little to myself. Works for the lips, too.

3 members found this post helpful.

I get horrible splits on my fingers too. Lotion is a good idea and it may sound crazy but make sure you are drinking plenty of water during the day too. Not only is it the cold/dry air outside , it is the result of using the furnace and having very dry air inside too.

Burts Bees and udder balm are the faves around here. The Burts makes our nails grow so fast we are forever trimming the. I think both are available at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    musher's wax. It's for protecting dog feet from ice. I noticed after applying it to the dogs my hands were essentially waterproofed for several hours- without feeling greasy.
    I get that when I use Ray Hole's Saddle Butter on my saddle & bridle. My hands are really nice and soft and waterproof for quite a while.

I drink over 2 gallons a day, so it's definitely not a hydration issue.
    I love the mushers wax idea. I've been thinking there needs to be some kind of wax in the mix to help.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I have several big containers of amazing stuff that Restoration Hardware used to sell called No Crack Hand Cream. If you google No Crack Hand Cream I'm pretty sure the options you see from other retailers are the same product just branded differently. It's literally the only thing I've found that helps and that I can stand to have on my hands b/c it's not greasy.

If the cracks are bad enough to bleed, put the hand cream on the chapped parts and religiously put neosporin on the cracks at night. If it's really really bad (and cool enough outside to be able to stand this) put neosporin on the cracks and slather the hand cream on, then put on powdered rubber gloves under your riding/barn gloves.

If the rubber gloves aren't an option, just be vigilant with the neosporin on all the actual cracks and the hand cream as much as you possibly can, especially when you're in for the night. Put a little cream on EVERY time you wash your hands.

It's slickery, but I put vaseline on my fingertips all days, and wear gloves at night at least a few nights a week with the stuff slathered on. Otherwise, my fingers crack and bleed to beat the band. I've tried most of the other suggestions on this thread, but got some new ideas to work in this season. Thanks!

Two things work for me. First grandpa, my vet, supplies me with Butler Bova Cream, which is an udder cream and really helps. Also, Corona Ointment works wonders for all kinds of chaps and chaffs. Try that under your gloves. It has a yucky texture but really helps healing for me and my horses. Works great on chapped lips at night also.

Coincidentally, I just an hour ago I superglued the crack on my index fingertip together . Wil have to try some of the above tips, though-- they sound good!

1 members found this post helpful.

Ihttp://www.crunchybetty.com/how-to-make-lotion-bars

I just bought a couple of these lotion bars yesterday at a craft event. They work fantastically. The ones I bought do not have more than a very faint fragrance, and they are so easy to make. IMO they work better than anything I've ever tried, and I have constant barn hands and really dry skin...

You may want to search... I found an AWESOME remedy on COTH from a thread (I think) last year. THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU, to whomever posted about Outdoor Hands!!!! http://www.outdoorhands.com/site/ind...id=1&Itemid=37 I got mine at Tractor Supply. It's not too expensive, not too greasy, but the BEST thing is your hands don't burn or sting when you put it on!!! Anything else I've tried my hands will hurt so badly that I'm practically crying.

I know the best thing is prevention- gloves... gloves.. gloves and maintenance... wash hands put lotion on... put lotion on at night, but I'm terrible about being pro-active... so when my hands are chapped and bleeding and HURTING, I reach for Outdoor Hands to get them back on the right track (then of course I abuse them again... lol), but seriously this stuff is really great!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Default Bah...

Kiehl's, Bag Balm, Nutrogena, Emu Oil, Eucerin cream, Vaseline, Burt's, Udder Butter.. blah blah blah. All garbage, and I've tried 'em all.

I've got serious contact dermatitis which manifests very similar to Dyshidrotic Eczema.. nasty stuff which is worse if my skin spends more than 3 minutes in water, never mind detergent or cleaner of any kind.

THE ONLY thing that works is The Body Shoppe's Hemp Hand Protector and Hemp Moisturizing (soap free!) body wash. Matter of fact, their whole Hemp line is the only thing that helps my body, hands and feet from cracking, splitting and bleeding. And of course... lots of hydration.
    Last edited by Sansena; Nov. 30, 2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: add

I SWEAR by this stuff for winter hands!
    http://www.southlandsoap.com/catalog...98/9422564.htm
    I get those really painful splits on my fingertips, and this is the ONLY product I've found that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I'm going to see if Cornhuskers is available around here.

Today I used the horses feed oil to make it through the day. It actually worked ok.
    My dad had a handy, quick and VERY effective remedy - I often get splits in the skin where the corners of my nails are. He showed me to pack them with chapstick (or other lip balm). The pain subsides in a few minutes, and within two days of occasional application, they are healed. The bonus is that it's easy to keep a tube of it in your pocket, and it isn't messy or slippery. It will at least help wtih the most painful spots while you find something to help your hands overall.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/