The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A thread about things warm and things fuzzy.....

I've recently been looking at those helmet cozy things and wanted to know if anyone here has one and what they think about it as far as if it actually keeps you warm or if you feel like you just look a little silly :P What is your favorite brand? places to buy?

Also I was looking at bit warmers, Do you use yours? how warm do they get? how cheep can I get them?

Any other winter favorites you use to keep you and your horse warm? I stock up on the "hot hands" and use them in my boots all the time

I have a set of these:
    http://www.bigdweb.com/EAR-MUFFS-FLE...oductinfo/436/
    They attach to many helmets and are very warm. One problem is I cannot take a lesson with them on. but to wear while hacking or trailriding they are ideal.
    I made my own bit warmer several years ago. Took some fabric scraps sewed a rectangle about 5x10 left an opening and filled it with a pound of kidney beans from the dollar store. Once it was sewn closed I microwave it for a minute then hung it over the bit while I tack up. Bit is always comfortably warm but not hot. I know someone who used rice instead of beans it worked just as well but without the wonderful cooked bean smell in the barn

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a lycra helmet cover that has fleece that comes down your neck a little and then wraps around your face. Tried it last night in sub 30F and it was nice an toasty. My only complaints were:
    A. Because it covered my mouth, when I exhaled, my glasses fogged so I had to ride without glasses.
    B. My nose runs a bit in cold weather and the snot sort of sat on top of the fleece.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I tried a helmet cozy once when the temps were in the low 20s, and I was too hot in about 5 minutes. But my friend uses one all the time in the winter, and she likes it. I prefer my fleece headband, similar to this one:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/windblo...3w5pat5n5m3145
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I use the wrap around ear muffs like this :http://www.amazon.com/Wrap-Around-Ea.../dp/B006EKI3E0

They fit under a helmet and since they don't cover my mouth, my glasses don't fog up

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    I have a lycra helmet cover that has fleece that comes down your neck a little and then wraps around your face. Tried it last night in sub 30F and it was nice an toasty. My only complaints were:
    A. Because it covered my mouth, when I exhaled, my glasses fogged so I had to ride without glasses.
    B. My nose runs a bit in cold weather and the snot sort of sat on top of the fleece.
    I have this one and tried it out yesterday at -13°C (0°F). Kept me toasty warm. Did have the issue with glasses fogging if I had it over my mouth, but it can be pulled down to the chin or below as well. At any given time on my ride I wore it all three ways.

I have one of the cozy helmet covers like NorthwoodsRider linked. So far, I really like it and keeps me toasty enough to not have to bulk up on other layers (I always hate wearing a jacket when riding).

I also have a bit warmer that was given to me as a Christmas present last year. I adore it! Even if you're not warming up a bit with it but need something to keep your hands warm, it's great. Mine looks like a tri-fold wallet with two sections with rice that wrap around the bit and an empty third flap. It's all kept on the bit with velcro -- one piece on the flap and the other on one of the rice pouches. Put it in the microwave for 1:30 and its toasty.

If you're the crafty sort, here's a pattern to adapt for making your own.

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    I made one with a athletic tube sock (tall straight kind, no heel) filled with rice and tied off with a knot - not as pretty as the fancier ones, but does the job. I made the rice section long enough to double over the bit +some, and then tied the knot. The leftover open tube can be put over the toe end of the rice bag to secure it on the bit. No velcro to get full of barn crud, and if the rice starts to smell funky (which I've read it will over time and repeated trips through the microwave) I can untie the knot, dump the rice, wash the sock and refill.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have one (somewhere) and I like it for the coldest days. In fact, I am trying to find it...it's possible it ended up in a nest of old sweaters the barn cat uses... I need to retrieve it!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodsRider View Post
    I made one with a athletic tube sock (tall straight kind, no heel) filled with rice and tied off with a knot - not as pretty as the fancier ones, but does the job.
    Ooh! I think you just gave me an idea for a do-it-yourself heat pack for when my shoulder acts up. With a long enough sock (or two sewn together) I could tie it on the trouble spot.

I sort of like the funky rice smell...I'm weird that way.

1 members found this post helpful.

I bought the Cotton Cozy from Horze (thanks, COTHers). It fits under your helmet.

I got the cotton version b/c I was afraid it might be itchy otherwise, even though cotton is not my fave winter fabric (cold if it gets wet!). It is thin, but that is good for me b/c it doesn't feel bulky. It def helped outside on a 17 degree super windy, gray day this fall. I was out for about an hour. I am not sure if it would do much good at 2 degrees, as it is just thin jersey type cotton, but it was nice to have on that day.

They also have a non cotton version, probably warmer, as it is a knit. Both of them can be pulled up over your face a bit. I haven't tried that yet & just leave the chin part down. They are cheap as dirt, so you could buy one of each:

http://www.horze.com/Caps-Hats/hats,en_US,sc.html

no bit warmer advice. If I have to, I put it down the front of my pants while I put the saddle on.

ETA: Now horse has a fleece cap, which I KNOW they didn't have a few weeks ago, b/c I would have ordered it
    http://www.horze.com/Horze-Fleece-Ca...rt=3&cgid=hats

danggit!

I start with a Mountain Horse headband in the autumn when the ears start to get crispy. http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Mo...and-P6286.aspx

Then when it gets cold enough that my Tex T necks need some help, I add a Tube Scarf like this http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ir...ief-P3954.aspx which keeps my chin from freezing solid.

Just this week the wind was cold enough I began dreaming of a nice balaclava, but I need to get my hair shorter because at this point, with winter static and badly overgrown hair, I would only drive myself nutz. I already have fears of strangulation by static.

Two winters ago I got a Mountain Horse lycra helmet liner that keeps my head warm from the cold that goes through the vents in my schooling helmet. It covers my ears a bit as well and will protect them from the wind somewhat. I don't think MH makes this anymore. Sport stores sell similar ones for runners. It's very thin and doesn't affect the fit of my helmet.

I also have the attachable sheepskin earmuffs and they work great, though make my helmet a bit snug. They do cover a bit of my cheeks nicely too. That, plus a neck gator, (my chin is always frozen) keeps me pretty toasty.