The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Celebrating holidays with pets

All right, I know that my dogs have absolutely no concept of "holiday". They do not get all expectant over parties and gifts - to them it's just another day.

But the dogs' personalized Christmas stockings hang right alongside ours over the fireplace, and "Santa" fills them with nice healthy treats (a bully stick to keep them busy for the day plus a few other things) and a new toy or two.

We don't dress them up, but we do have a picture or two of Lance wearing the antlers my DH brought home from a work party. We haven't done pictures with Santa either as Simon is a wee bit too shy for such goings-on - we'd end up with a photo of Lance cheerily cuddling with St. Nick and Simon cowering in the background, no doubt.

And I am one of those people who sings Christmas carols to their pets. Generally I change the lyrics to make the songs ABOUT the pets, e.g. "Said the Shepherd Doggy to his brother Lance. . .do you see what I see?" Silly, I know!

Needless to say, they don't get to sample the people Christmas goodies, except for maybe some leftover turkey breast meat!

Who else involves their pets in holiday celebrations?

We do! Each of our animals have a stocking, including the horse. I'm in the process of convincing DH to let me buy a Santa suit for Dixie so she can have Christmas pjs like the rest of us. (He's not folding though... party pooper!)

We've always included the animals in the festivities!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I sing Corgi Carols too. And the corgis always give presents to my friends' dogs, and the cats to my friends' cats. Sometimes the cats give presents to my sister, but of course I have neither involvement nor knowledge of such a thing.

My favorite Corgi Carol is O Corgi Dogs:

O corgi dogs, o corgi dogs!
    How pointy are your noses.
    Your little ears
    Are cute and stuff;
    Your little heads
    Are full of fluff.
    O corgi dogs, o corgi dogs!
    How pointy are your noses.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

2 members found this post helpful.

My dogs get stockings and they also get presents. The first yr I had Rusty (a chow/border collie mix that was basically feral and took me 9 months of leaving food beside the road, to catch), I couldn't find the 3 dog's Xmas presents when we were opening gifts. I couldn't figure out where they were. I thought I had put them under the tree. That day, when I was out back, I saw a lump in the corner of the yard under the landscaping gravel. I went over, and uncovered the wrapped dog present. Started searching and found the other 2. He had buried all 3, still wrapped gifts (stuffed squeaky toys). I guess he wanted to save them for a rainy day.

I also used to have a Cocker, that would take only my presents from under the tree, and take them out back and tear off the wrapping paper. My DH swore I was doing it so I could get my presents early, but I wasn't. Not sure how the dog knew which ones were for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Everyone of my 12 animals get Christmas presents!! The cats usually get toys and new scratchie boxes, the dog gets bones or treats, the donkies and horses get treats as well as a special Christmas dinner. I have more fun watching my cats play in the paper on Christmas morning than anything else I think I would't dream of not including my pets at Christmas since they are my family too!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

My mom has come to realize that all she's getting out of me are "grand dogs" so she has taken to sending them Christmas gifts. I don't particularly love Christmas, so I don't do anything "special" for the critters, but they do love gifts from Grandma!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Yep! We wrap special toys or treats loosely in paper and let the dogs unwrap them all at once. I have stockings with their names on them (pretty much our only decorations since the house is too small for both foster dogs and Xmas trees! I'm even hesitant to hang aa wreath on the door this year, as we have a particularly mischievous foster dog who would probably love to spread the Christmas joy all across the front yard...).
    My parents buy the dogs treats and things for Christmas too. Usually poop bags... yaaay, lol.
    We also sing doggy carols like the op. "Said the scuba dog to the little lulu, do you see what I see? A squirrel a squirrel dancing in the trees with a tail im longing to bite..." and do you smell what I smell, a fart a fart wafting through the room, bringing us nausea and doom"
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh yes! Christmas Eve the kitties all get new toys and I literally spread catnip all over the living room rug. Horse has his own stocking and this year I put up a wreath on his stall door - where he can't get at it to chew it. And I usually bake horsie goodies for all the boarders' horses in my barn who are allowed to have that kind of treat, and leave extra in the grain room.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

When the four-legged are as much of your family as the two-legged, why not celebrate with them? My pets probably figure I can't carry a tune in a muck bucket, but I sing to them all the time, and each has a different "anthem". I put up with their weird ways; the least they can do is put up with mine!

Santa (my mom) always asks for a Christmas list so she has ideas and I always put down things that the cats and/or horse need or could have fun with and is of a reasonable price. She occasionally obliges, and labels them as coming from Grandma. I get them all new toys, treats, or other stuff for Christmas. I do the same for their birthdays/adoption day.

Every year I get my cats and dog a "Christmas dinner" of a really fancy canned food, a new toy, and treats. My horse gets a ton of treats for "Christmas dinner." My hermit crabs get a handful of plain popcorn. My fish - well, I haven't figured out how to treat them yet LOL. They don't know what's going on of course but it makes them excited and happy, so that makes my holiday happier.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I always get my pets Christmas presents. I know it sounds crazy, but they know it is a "special" for them. My husband thought I was out of my mind when I insisted on stockings for them the first year we were together, stating "they don't know or care". The cat scratched at her stocking until she was able to get to her toy mice and the dogs, they danced about the room with glee when their stocking was presented. My husband never again stated they don't care about getting gifts.

Maybe the don't "know" it is Christmas, but I know they are sure it is a gift just for them.

Our cats get their own stockings at my parents' house at Christmas time, and we certainly love balling up torn wrapping paper and letting them chase the balls around the house.

I swear my cat knows its almost time for me to put up my Christmas tree (he loves to lay under the heat of the lights). I've caught him sitting and staring at the corner where I normally put it up
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

My dog loves opening presents and she's so cute when she does it, so I wrap at least 5 boxes every year with stuff for her. Apart from that, dog supervises all holiday cooking (of course), hangs a Christmas stocking shaped like large bone, wears a jingle bell collar all day Christmas, and rings in the new year in a fetching black velvet evening gown. And just to be clear - this is a 50lb collie mix. So you know that's adorable and unexpected.

My late dog Gemma was clicker trained and I taught her how to carry a basket. So on Christmas morning I took her into another room and gave her a basket with a small gift in it and sent her out to the living room. She was so excited to be part of the action that she would swing the basket around, sending the small gift flying. She trotted so happily back and forth with her gifts to be handed out I think we enjoyed watching her more than the actual gift opening.

This year my horse got a contoured dressage saddle pad in purple. I'm sure he'd prefer a bag of treats.

I did not used to be "that person", but I have taken to the occasional festooning.

My poor horse got it just the other day when the vet doped him for his teeth.
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

Oh my critters get treats and toys every year. They may not truly know what's going on, but the new toys and yummy stuff excites them and makes them happy, so that makes me happy.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05