The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2000
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    7,013

    Default Two Wild Horses Killed in Car Crash in Nevada

    Looks like the driver was lucky to survive. Warning: graphic photo at link.

    http://www.kolotv.com/news/headlines...1.html?ref=881

    "This could have easily been a fatal collision this morning," says Trooper Chuck Allen with the Nevada Highway Patrol.

    Look at the driver's car and you wonder how she survived hitting a more than thousand pound animal going at least 50-miles an hour--the posted speed limit here.

    The driver traveling behind 24-year-old Cristina Laughbon says he saw her car in the right lane, and went to the left to pass.

    "I tried to get away from them but the horses were blocking the road. So my choices were either to hit the horses or go into oncoming traffic," says Nick Mazo.

    "Unfortunately I saw it. I was taking my wife to work. We pulled up and there was the accident. We were probably one of the first people there," says David Jones an Andrew Lane resident.

    Jones says in more than one way, this accident was bound to happen.

    He says cars are still going too fast in the area, which means drivers have less time to react.

    "There has to be some public awareness," says Trooper Allen.

    Trooper Allen says horses coming down from the Virginia Range and making their way through Andrew Lane has now become a public safety issue.

    Those who live in the area say its one thing for the horses to come from a range where food is scarce to neighborhoods where grass and water is more plentiful.

    It's quite another they say when some residents feed the horses encouraging them to stay.

    The Department of Agriculture says its actually tried to trap some of the horses on private land at the request of the land owner--only to have those efforts thwarted by wild horse advocates.

    "But there would be a chance that that accident would not have happened today if in fact we had the ability to trap those horses that weekend," says Ed Foster with Nevada's Department of Agriculture.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 15, 2011
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    I'm a little confused as to how this accident happened (can't watch the video at the moment) from the article - were the horses standing in the road and she kept coming, thinking they'd move? Or did they run out in front of her? Mazo's statement makes it seem like the horses were standing in the road and she just plowed right into them.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin
    Posts
    2,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    http://www.kolotv.com/news/headlines...1.html?ref=881

    "This could have easily been a fatal collision this morning," says Trooper Chuck Allen with the Nevada Highway Patrol.
    It WAS a fatal collision. Horses died.

    I'm glad no people were hurt, but come on!

    ETA: Here is the Merriam-Webster definition of fatal:

    fa┬Ětal adjective \ˈfā-təl\

    Definition of FATAL

    1: obsolete : fated
    2: fateful <a fatal hour>
    3a : of or relating to fate
    b : resembling fate in proceeding according to a fixed sequence
    c : determining one's fate
    4a : causing death
    b : bringing ruin <a fatal attraction to gambling>
    c : causing failure <a fatal design flaw>

    Examples of FATAL

    a disease that is often fatal
    a chemical that can be fatal to birds
    She made a fatal mistake.

    The trooper pissed me off by implying this was not a fatal accident because no HUMAN lives were lost. If an accident causes death... then the accident, by definition, is fatal.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Dreaming in Color


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2000
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    10,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    The Department of Agriculture says its actually tried to trap some of the horses on private land at the request of the land owner--only to have those efforts thwarted by wild horse advocates.

    "But there would be a chance that that accident would not have happened today if in fact we had the ability to trap those horses that weekend," says Ed Foster with Nevada's Department of Agriculture.
    Weird isn't it. The govt can't control wild horse advocates but they can regulate the hell out of everything else. Something is wrong here and a person was hurt as a result.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    4,917

    Default

    These are NOT WILD horses – they are FERRAL horses.

    I can tolerate the risk I take living and driving in deer country. I do not think it is fair to have people risking injury just so FERRAL horses can run lose.

    If it were packs of ferral dogs - would "avocates" still be screaming that it is their right to run lose?


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    4,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    I'm a little confused as to how this accident happened (can't watch the video at the moment) from the article - were the horses standing in the road and she kept coming, thinking they'd move? Or did they run out in front of her? Mazo's statement makes it seem like the horses were standing in the road and she just plowed right into them.
    Looks like the horses were on a 50 MPH high way in the dark, on a sweeping bend. I doubt that they were just standing and hanging out in morning commute traffic. They were most likely trying to cross the road when the driver came around the bend and was not able to stop in time to avoid them - or other choice was to swerve into on coming traffic and risk more human life rather than hitting the animal.

    I live in "deer country" (counted 12 on or near the road the other night). You have to be aware, but if one of those suckers jumps out at you, you are safer to just stay straight and hit it - rather than swerve and lose control of your vehicle. My friend flipper her car doing just that.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2010
    Posts
    181

    Default

    This is where I live. I use to board my horse on Andrews Lane. The area backs up to BLM land.

    There are three different wild herds that call the area home. The residents in the Andrews Lane area seem to like the wild horses and they sure have made themselves at home. Most of the properties in that area are horse properties that are fenced. While I had my horse in this area (for several years) we all got to know the herds and loved to watch the babies grow. We were witness to the bachelor herds that would come and try to steal mares and then watched the stallions fight the bachelors to keep them away from their herds. We would come across the herds while trail riding but didn't not welcome them when they would run down the street during a lesson. The wild herds are just part of life in this neighborhood.

    The road the accident happened on, State Highway 395, use to be the main artery from Reno to anywhere south of Reno. There is now an interstate, that opened up a few months ago, which reduced the traffic on Hwy 395 immensely. FWIW, the speed limit along this stretch of road is 50 MPH due to many fatality accidents (no horses involved) over the years and the neighborhoods that the Hwy traveled through. Most people travel at 60-65 mph. There is also a bend in the road just before (south) the spot the accident happened. You can not see around the bend due to the hills.

    From the looks of the photo, the driver(s) were headed north on Hwy 395 and the area the horses would have been coming from would have been to the east. Right there, on the west side of Hwy 395 is a home on approx 2+ acres that has very LUSH grass that didn't have the best fencing. I have seen the wild horses there for days on end. If I had to guess, with less traffic, the horses probably spent more and more time there.

    "But there would be a chance that that accident would not have happened today if in fact we had the ability to trap those horses that weekend," says Ed Foster with Nevada's Department of Agriculture.

    I say BS to that quote. With three herds plus some bachelor herds, how does he even know that the horses killed were the ones they were trying to trap. Unfortunately now, BLM will probably round up the herds with helicoptors and there will be one less place in the Reno area where there will be the wild horses.

    As far as controlling the wild horse advocates. Most people that live in rural areas like this like the wild horses. They fight to keep the horses wild. I say, if you can't life with the wild life, then you are meant to live in a city with the human wild life.

    As far as them being feral horses vs wild, to me, that is just terminology. From Wikipedia: A feral horse is a free-roaming horse of domesticated ancestry. As such, a feral horse is not a wild animal in the sense of an animal without domesticated ancestors. However, some populations of feral horses are managed as wildlife, and these horses often are popularly called "wild" horses. Feral horses are descended from domestic horses that strayed, escaped, or were deliberately released into the wild and remained to survive and reproduce there. Away from humans, over time, these animals' patterns of behavior revert to behavior more closely resembling that of wild horses. A majority of these horses have been out on the range their whole lives. That makes them pretty wild.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    These are NOT WILD horses – they are FERRAL horses.
    If it were packs of ferral dogs - would "avocates" still be screaming that it is their right to run lose?
    Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    The trooper pissed me off by implying this was not a fatal accident because no HUMAN lives were lost. If an accident causes death... then the accident, by definition, is fatal.
    And what aggravates me is when people take press quotes and get their panties all in a twist over what might have been implied. BUt then we've just come off a national election so I guess I'm being a bit over reactive on ya.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    4,917

    Default

    Okay, they made be "wild" (as in no longer cared for by humans), but they are NOT part of the natural "wild life" and in fact feral.

    We have "wild" pigs here in CA - and the government encourages hunters to take as many as they can. It would be ideal to eradicate them, because they are non native - just like horses are a non native species.

    So how are "wild pigs" different than "wild horses"? Horses are prettier? “Wild boar” (feral pigs) are tastier?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 15, 2011
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Okay, they made be "wild" (as in no longer cared for by humans), but they are NOT part of the natural "wild life" and in fact feral.

    We have "wild" pigs here in CA - and the government encourages hunters to take as many as they can. It would be ideal to eradicate them, because they are non native - just like horses are a non native species.

    So how are "wild pigs" different than "wild horses"? Horses are prettier? “Wild boar” (feral pigs) are tastier?
    A feral hog is a dangerous animal.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2006
    Location
    The rocky part of KY
    Posts
    9,121

    Default

    And a feral horse is pretty dangerous if you smack it with your car. People run into moose and elk and lose their lives, there's always a lot of back and forth about how to manage the animals so as to minimize this kind of interaction.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible


    5 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin
    Posts
    2,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    And what aggravates me is when people take press quotes and get their panties all in a twist over what might have been implied. BUt then we've just come off a national election so I guess I'm being a bit over reactive on ya.
    And you are allowed to be over reactive... just as I am allowed to be over reactive about the fact I didn't like how the trooper described the accident and I pointed that out in a thread about the accident on a horse forum.

    The trooper said it was not a fatal accident. But the title of the thread is: "Two Wild Horses Killed in Car Crash in Nevada."

    At any rate, I have nothing else to say expect I am sorry the horses died and I hope the driver and other witnesses are able to heal from this. I'm sure it was a frighting experience for them all.
    Dreaming in Color


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,878

    Default

    You say tomAto, I say tomawto.


    Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Okay, they made be "wild" (as in no longer cared for by humans), but they are NOT part of the natural "wild life" and in fact feral.

    We have "wild" pigs here in CA - and the government encourages hunters to take as many as they can. It would be ideal to eradicate them, because they are non native - just like horses are a non native species.

    So how are "wild pigs" different than "wild horses"? Horses are prettier? “Wild boar” (feral pigs) are tastier?



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    4,917

    Default

    I see my opinion is in the minority – I look at the issue from the direction of ecology / biology not “I luv horses and they look pretty running wild”.

    Non native invasive species are not usually enabled, but rather eradicated, because in the end, they do not belong, and are harmful to the wildlife that DOES belong. Horses are not natural “wildlife” they are feral animals introduced by man.

    But, there are a bunch of starry eyed horse lover groups who are very vocal, and push politicians etc to keep the pretty ponies running lose in the west.

    If they damage ecosystems, kill drivers on the highway, too bad so sad – we love watching Cloud and his band running with the wind in their hair.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,878

    Default

    I've seen reports that swing both ways on this question. The point is alot of people think of them as part of our heritage. Whether they were here when the first rock rolled on the beach or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I see my opinion is in the minority – I look at the issue from the direction of ecology / biology not “I luv horses and they look pretty running wild”.

    Non native invasive species are not usually enabled, but rather eradicated, because in the end, they do not belong, and are harmful to the wildlife that DOES belong. Horses are not natural “wildlife” they are feral animals introduced by man.

    But, there are a bunch of starry eyed horse lover groups who are very vocal, and push politicians etc to keep the pretty ponies running lose in the west.

    If they damage ecosystems, kill drivers on the highway, too bad so sad – we love watching Cloud and his band running with the wind in their hair.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2006
    Location
    Plainview, MN
    Posts
    3,528

    Default

    What is the differance in this case versus when someone has an accident when they hit a deer or bear?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,878

    Default

    Semantics???

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    What is the differance in this case versus when someone has an accident when they hit a deer or bear?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    4,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    What is the differance in this case versus when someone has an accident when they hit a deer or bear?
    Well one is non native and could be eradicated, the other is a native species which humans have encroached onto its habitat.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2006
    Location
    Plainview, MN
    Posts
    3,528

    Exclamation

    I mean more along the lined of why is this news? People hit large mammals with their car and have serious accidents every single day.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,878

    Default

    Likely because it concerns "wild" horses and it could be another reason used to get rid of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    I mean more along the lined of why is this news? People hit large mammals with their car and have serious accidents every single day.


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: May. 13, 2011, 11:15 AM
  2. Katie Price Injured in Car Crash That Kills Two Horses
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr. 26, 2011, 04:23 PM
  3. California plane crash kills 3 horses
    By Mardi in forum Off Course
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: Oct. 29, 2010, 10:16 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: Mar. 22, 2010, 03:21 PM
  5. Replies: 51
    Last Post: Dec. 31, 2009, 11:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness