The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I am a sucker. Thinking of adopting cat with cerebellar hypoplasia

I'm aware of this disorder and I need a 5th cat like I need another hole in my head. Plus my husband will probably kill me. But I got this e-mail, 5 year old kittens and their mother (who does not have the disorder) pretty close to me - they are apparently in a fabulous foster home where the people are connected with Best Friends. I want one. Going to see them on Sunday. All are neutered, vaccinated, and all use the litterbox.

Anybody have experience with a kitty with this disorder? My understanding is that they do not need any special care and can live long and happy lives. Some of the cats get around better than others.

My year old kitten is VERY rambunctions, and I wouldn't want him to hurt the new kitty.

These kittens are in the Worcster Mass. area. If anyone is interested, PM me with your e-mail addy and I'll forward the e-mail to you.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Nine years ago I adopted a kitten with that disorder. She is a delightful cat, and has always been healthy. She has no idea that she has any troubles whatsoever, and is kind of bossy with my other cats. The only thing she has trouble with is getting up on and off things, but over the years she has figured out how to pull herself up with claws, and we help when she needs it.

My only recommendation for not getting such a cat would be if you live in a house that had, say, anything high, like an exposed stair and railing, that she could fall from. Coordination is lacking, and so is depth perception. Years ago a friend of mine adopted a cat with cerebellar hypoplasia and returned her because she had an open second story in her house and she was afraid the cat would fall.

Edited to add, I hope you do adopt this kitten. It is Christmas, and adoptions are tough right now. It is even tougher for handicapped animals.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Yay!! Those are the best kitties. They live normal, happy, healthy lives, just have trouble doing some day-to-day kitty things.

You can help some of them with an elevated feed/water bowl. They typically have intention tremors of the head which makes it difficult for them to judge the rate, range and force it takes to move their head down to the bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Nine years ago I adopted a kitten with that disorder. She is a delightful cat, and has always been healthy. She has no idea that she has any troubles whatsoever, and is kind of bossy with my other cats. The only thing she has trouble with is getting up on and off things, but over the years she has figured out how to pull herself up with claws, and we help when she needs it.

My only recommendation for not getting such a cat would be if you live in a house that had, say, anything high, like an exposed stair and railing, that she could fall from. Coordination is lacking, and so is depth perception. Years ago a friend of mine adopted a cat with cerebellar hypoplasia and returned her because she had an open second story in her house and she was afraid the cat would fall.

Edited to add, I hope you do adopt this kitten. It is Christmas, and adoptions are tough right now. It is even tougher for handicapped animals.
    I have an 8 1/2 year male cat with this disorder, albeit a relatively mild case compared to many of the videos that you see on youtube.

So, first if I were you, I would go look at the kittens first and see how well they get around. If you watch some of the youtube videos, some cats with CH can barely walk and fall over just walking a few steps.

With my cat, he walks and trots/runs relatively normally, but with high-stepping action (we call him our Morgan kitty). But he really only likes to hop up onto furniture that is cloth, which he can use his nails to balance when he lands. Although I will say that as he has gotten older, his balance issues (especially walking along narrow things like the back of the couch) is MUCH better. It is my impression that other parts of his brain have adapted and help him control his body much better now that his is older.

In regards to the spatial disorder, if you try to hand feed him food, sometimes he has a hard time judging the distance to your hand and kind of bumps/bites you slightly taking the food.

And one time he snuck out of the house, climbed a tree, fell, and broke his leg ($800 and a pin/surgery repair later). So when he is let outside now, it is only supervised.

And oh, by the way, of our 4 house cats (this guy is a house cat) and 6 barn cats, this cat is my all time favorite, the cutest personality!

Edited to add: Here is an example of 2 CH cats that are WAY worse than my cat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7XVyg16ens
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjl5eHlaPb8

Edgewood, it sounds like your cat and mine have about the same degree of disability. The woman from whom I got my kitten said she was the least affected of the litter. I think your advice to look at the kittens is excellent. When I adopted Bridget (named thusly because we love her just the way she is), she was reaching out to me through the bars of her cage, and who can resist that? We do let her out if she wants to go, but she doesn't usually, and if she does, she just hangs out on the deck. She has fortunately never attempted a tree.

Interesting observation about your kitten seeming to adapt physically as he got older. I think Bridget has too.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

1 members found this post helpful.

As long as. 45 perfectly healthy kittens aren't euthenized because of your sentimental streak, I am totally on board.
    I feel enraged when healthy normal pets are passed over for those that will have a reduced lifespan. And probably pain

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    As long as. 45 perfectly healthy kittens aren't euthenized because of your sentimental streak, I am totally on board.
    I feel enraged when healthy normal pets are passed over for those that will have a reduced lifespan. And probably pain
    I agree with you when it comes to animals who, for example, have lost the use of entire sections of their bodies, or are otherwise almost completely disabled. Animals live in the now, and I don't think going to measures which significantly alter their life are fair. However, this disability doesn't get worse, doesn't cause pain, and based on my cat and what I know about the condition, doesn't alter their life much. It definitely doesn't shorten it. So really, the snarky tone of 45 healthy kittens being euthanized doesn't seem quite right. After all, a kitten with this diagnosis would seem to be maybe in the category of, oh, a kitten who has lost an eye. Don't adopt those either?
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

2 members found this post helpful.

You are totally right, I am totally right. I apologise, I'm dealing with people that refuse to let an animal go an I am frustrated. The internet still is not completely real to me

Well, an update. I had a long talk with the kitty's foster mom last night and I really am starting to think that I would not be the best home for this cat. My house is 2 stories and a basement. I would have to block off the stairs to the 2nd floor and to the basement and that just wouldn't be fair to my existing cats. Also, I would worry about him being bullied. I won't adopt a cat just to have him live in one room of my house, IMO that's not a happy life for him or for me.

I'm going to see them anyway on Sunday. The foster mom said I could take him on trial and bring him back if it didn't work out. My husband is TOTALLY against this but in exasperation said I could do whatever I want.

If I lived in a ranch and didn't have any other cats I would take two of them.

My friend haa one. It sounds like a PITA. She has to carry the cat to the litterbox and clean it off afterwards. She's been badly scratched by the cat when it was flaili.g trying to get around on the bed. The cat goes to therapy. She wants to get it a special sling.

And, foster mom told me that he can only make it about 6 paces before he falls over. So I'm thinking that he is more disabled than I thought, and he is the "most capable" of the litter. Sad.

I hope your family is able to adopt one or two perfectly healthy kittens. There are lots of them an they need homes too.