The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEA Convention next week...who is attending?

Mr. FlightCheck and I (he gets to go snowboarding/running/touristing) will be attending. He came with me three years ago, and loves the Broadmoor.

Anyone else?

Me! I love the Broadmoor too. Hoping it is not too cold so I can get a good run in.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

1 members found this post helpful.

We will be there, especially for The Gray Goose's induction into the hall of fame!
    Last edited by JackW; Nov. 29, 2012 at 09:15 AM.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'll be there! Looking forward to it

I'll be there. I am chairing the Affiliates meeting on Friday, and I will defintely be at the rules meeting
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Hey, leyt me know where you guys are!! Wendy McGaughn from Kan Tek is coming over from Ireland and I would love to introduce her to folks here.

I am staying at the Broadmoor.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

A friend and I are coming up.

What do people wear to the Hall of Fame dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Hey, leyt me know where you guys are!! Wendy McGaughn from Kan Tek is coming over from Ireland and I would love to introduce her to folks here.
    Is she bringing any vests with her? I really want one.

Desert Topaz,
    At the last one I attended, everything from suits to jeans; cocktail dresses dressy pants suits for women.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Desert Topaz,
    At the last one I attended, everything from suits to jeans; cocktail dresses dressy pants suits for women.
    Oh good. I really didn't want to have to put on my one dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    A friend and I are coming up.

What do people wear to the Hall of Fame dinner?

Is she bringing any vests with her? I really want one.

Yes, she is. I have them already at my place and will bring them down on Tuesday!

Yes, she is. I have them already at my place and will bring them down on Tuesday!
    Sent you a PM so as not to go OT
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

FC,
    Sorry didn't see your thread (Thanks,Janet, bringing people together as usual). I'll be there with Mrs KS, who's now our local Affiliate's rep. Just when I thought I'd escaped, they made me the Education Chair for KDEA.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

I'll be there, getting in early to do a couple days of sight-seeing and then starting with the Richard Jeffry course design seminar.

We leave tomorrow!!

I've ordered one of her vests.
    Janet

EN has a good write up on David O'C's "care and feeding" presentation, but there were a couple of thngs I took away, that apply to us 'Non-elite" eventers(or riders in general).

First were his comments about identifying "the cost" (not just money) of reaching your goal, and then determining if you were prepared to pay "the price".

This is just as valid if your goal is to move up from BN to N, or to get to the Olympics.

All of us have to balance "what we want" with what we are prepared to sacrifice, and to come to a balance where "what we are prepared to pay" is consistent with "what we want to accomplish" .

The second was the comment that (paraphrasing)"When you fail, you need to admit the mistake, and identify the reason (not the excuse0 for the problem. Then you can work to fix the reason, but you can't fix an excuse."

Again, that is just as true when you are trying to conquer BN as when you are trying to conquer Rolex.
    Last edited by Janet; Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Janet

3 members found this post helpful.

Janet,

I agree, it was great hearing DOC's rather serious approach and questions about what it takes to be at the top.

My favorite part of the convention was hearing Mary King talk about her very minimalist way of managing her horses:

-2-3 months off in the winter, no shoes/blankets for most, no "hard feed", living out 24/7 so they get a good break after the season

-no supplements, regular chiro, etc.

-fitness work every 3rd day and ridden 6 days a week with lots of hacking

-simply backing the 3 year olds and giving the 4 year olds a very easy year with little jumping, giving them lots of time to mature. Working them "from the field" rather than keeping them in

She is my idol. I have never met a more likeable, humble, and smart eventer.

4 members found this post helpful.

Most memorable part for me was the Hall of Fame Ceremony - definitely not a dry eye in the house - male or female.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

Wow, I am applauding loudly. Love this program. Love the minimalist way.... Love the training schedule for babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Carried Away View Post
    Janet,

I agree, it was great hearing DOC's rather serious approach and questions about what it takes to be at the top.

My favorite part of the convention was hearing Mary King talk about her very minimalist way of managing her horses:

-2-3 months off in the winter, no shoes/blankets for most, no "hard feed", living out 24/7 so they get a good break after the season

-no supplements, regular chiro, etc.

-fitness work every 3rd day and ridden 6 days a week with lots of hacking

-simply backing the 3 year olds and giving the 4 year olds a very easy year with little jumping, giving them lots of time to mature. Working them "from the field" rather than keeping them in

She is my idol. I have never met a more likeable, humble, and smart eventer.