The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

I see lameness on both front feet in the videos but he could be wonky other places too. He looks really NQR.

I am in the camp that says one more "all in" at the best university and then if that gives you no answers-- Dr. Green and rest your wallet some.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Wow--that is crazy, but I see what you mean. The farrier that put those shoes on came highly recommended and was EXPENSIVE! The farrier that looked at him last week also came recommended by a lot of people who show horses. Granted, he didn't re-shoe him but he looked at all four feet and I lunged him so he could see how he moved. He didn't mention anything at all and said to wait 2 weeks for more growth before he shoed him again.

Other than 1 very very excellent vet who works in tandem with the farrier-- I have never had a vet say anything specific about shoeing unless asked. Even on a horse dispaying hoof lameness. I don't know if they just don't feel comfortable commenting on someone else's work or it's not foremost on their mind-- but many vets won't immediately look to shoeing unless you direct them there.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by mrg8302 View Post
    5 1/2 weeks ago he had those shoes put on. A farrier just looked at him last week and said he didn't have enough growth to work with. He said to wait 2 more weeks. Why? What do you see?
    I see a horse that has its heels jacked up exactly the way the AQHA Halter and WP limpin' lame peanut rollers like it.

4 members found this post helpful.

. . . recommended by a lot of people who show horses. . .
    Show horses doing what? Halter? Western Pleasure? Horses win those events by landing toe first in abnormal corrupted gaits and not falling down in the process.

Take your horse to Texas A&M and have their staff farrier, Jason Maki, CJF, RJF shoe it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow your poor boy looks sore, sore, sore... and I'll bet money that Tom is right. He looks like he's been set up like the AQHA horses that take little itsy bitsy mincy painful looking steps.

You would save you and your ponee a lot of grief by hauling him to Texas A&M like Tom suggested. Not only will you most likely find out what's going on, but you'll save yourself money in the long run. Right now you're taking stabs in the dark with these vets and farriers that only seem to be good at taking your money. He's a cutie pie and still looks like a very happy boy. Do him right and haul him to the university where they have everything they need right there to help him.
    Last edited by BoyleHeightsKid; Dec. 17, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Thanks everyone!! I'll get him to a good farrier ASAP. I called A&M. That will have to wait until January due to their holiday availability with the farrier. But in the mean time I'll get him to yet another farrier...this time I'll be asking about the heels. What do you think about yanking the shoes, trimming the heel back, and letting him run barefoot?

1 members found this post helpful.

I can get his feet done at A&M but that won't be practical more than once. How do you suggest finding a good farrier? I found these guys by calling vets and friends. What questions do I need to ask to find a good farrier for future use?

Thanks everyone!! I'll get him to a good farrier ASAP. I called A&M. That will have to wait until January due to their holiday availability with the farrier. But in the mean time I'll get him to yet another farrier...this time I'll be asking about the heels. What do you think about yanking the shoes, trimming the heel back, and letting him run barefoot?
    Most vets know nothing about shoeing! Its very frustrating. My Morgan horse was trimmed the same way and his trot was weird for 6 weeks. I had a different farrier come out and said his angles were wrong. Texas A&M should be able to tell you what to do. His hooves definitely don't look right. Way to upright !!!!!!

Thanks everyone!! You have no idea how much I appreciate the help. I just want him to feel better, even if its in the pasture!

Where do you live maybe someone on here can recommend a good farrier for you.

I think pulling his shoes and getting him a correct trim is a good idea until you can get him to Texas A&M, that is if he can handle being barefoot.

I live 1 1/2 hours southwest of Houston in West Columbia tx
    Thanks!

I can get his feet done at A&M but that won't be practical more than once. How do you suggest finding a good farrier? I found these guys by calling vets and friends. What questions do I need to ask to find a good farrier for future use?
    Many vets will highly recommend a particular farrier because the farrier goes along with whatever the vet says without question or discussion. So if the vet has no formal farriery training, apprenticeship, and field experience shoeing horses, and the farrier just follows the vets directions to keep in good graces with the vet, that is how you get a highly recommended overpriced hack that "works with vets." AND that team will always have a lot of lame horses to work on - self perpetuation repeat business.

Here is a list of farriers that are members of the Texas Professional Farriers Association.

http://tpfaadmin.yourwebhosting.com/...Oct-4-2012.pdf

Maybe this can get you started. Finding a good farrier that can address your horses needs can be difficult. Good luck.

Thanks for that list. The farrier that looked at him last week and said his angles were ok--he is on that list!!

But I see a few more in my neck of the woods so this will give me a great starting point!! I also sent in all my X-rays and videos etc to A&M so they can look at them before we get there
    Last edited by mrg8302; Dec. 17, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

MRG - I really hope that between A&M and a better (different) farrier will help your boy. He seems like he tries hard but simply can not do what you are asking of him out of pain. Your current farrier may be "good" for the type of horses he works on - I think the poster is right that he is doing your horse up like a halter or WP horse when that is not working for him. Please keep us posted!

Wow I just had the opportunity to watch your videos, and your poor fellow is really sore somewhere or many somewheres. I'm glad you are looking into it.

His hooves look astonishingly small and upright, but it looks like there is more somewhere in the hind end perhaps. Good luck getting to the bottom of it, and I hope he feels better soon.

You said you had him gelded when you got him. He wasn't by any chance a ridgling? The reason I ask is that many moons ago we raised a halter bred AQHA colt and there was something really wrong with him from birth. Even as a baby he would never run or play. He was in and out of the clinic from an early age but this was back in the early 70s in farm country so no advanced horse knowledge available. The dam had produced an earlier colt (full term) whose abdominal wall was not fully closed and he died at birth.

The halter bred colt ended up being a ridgling and even after surgery never moved comfortably. The person we sold him to ended up putting him down after repeated colic episodes. I've since had another colt of another breed who was never quite right and was a ridgling. He also never wanted to trot, and ended up being destroyed for constant colic. They both likely had weird malformations in their abdominal structure that made them constantly painful.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

No he had both testicles descended. We did look into causes related to the gelding but couldn't find a relation. I have an appt with A&M on Jan 2. Please keep us in your prayers. I hope that he will be ok. When I pulled into my driveway this evening he came running to the gate at a gallop. It must be a good sign that he is running out in the pasture, right?

I read back through the posts on here since I showed the videos. About half the people think its hind end and half think its front end. I sure wish I knew which was right. Maybe both

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

And then there's the half that think hes off in both ends.........