The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default winter riding clothes- plus size

need Ideas, I know i will get winter blunnies now what about insulated half chaps? breeches? I have a wonderfully warm elation winter riding coat for when its super cold, but normally i layer and wear a hoodie.

Take in min I need as much mobility and wearing long johns under my breeches take too much of it
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching

TEAM PRINCE VEGETA OF SAYJINS

I like the Kerrits Sit Tight and Warm Wind Pro pants in the winter, and they have plus sizes in a variety of colors. They are warm but not bulky.

I live in my Irideon Wind Pro breeches! I just bought my 3rd pair this winter My favorite coat to ride in is my Lands End Squall Jacket. I don't have winter half chaps, but have been riding in my older style Ariat Arctic Tall Boots. I've been very toasty so far.
    Cindy

Equissentials Polartec is THE way to go!!! It's GREAT. The main website is currently under revision, but you can call thei 1-800 number and place an order. Or visit my FB page, www.facebook.com/#!/EquissentialsSantaFe
    I can offer 10% off of retail. Yes, I am a rep. I LOVE EQ's!!! I have worn mine already, many times, so far this year and LOVE my polartecs!!!

I am also a fan of Equissentials polartec breeches for winter. Yes, they are expensive, but they *last* as long as you take good care of the leather. They're warm; I don't wear long johns underneath unless it's windy and I'm riding outside. The nicest thing is that the company will do made to measure breeches for the same cost as their off-the-rack ones. Customer service is also very good.

The Irideon Wind Pros are my second-favorite winter breeches.

For boots, I wear my normal tall boots and bought them a bit large so I can layer thick wool socks over wool or wool-blend sock liners. If it's really cold, I'll slip in disposable toe warmers, but in general I've found that if I need toe warmers, it's really just too cold to be riding anyway.

For up top: layers are good. Make sure at least one layer is wind-proof if you're riding outside... In that case, I put a rain jacket over whatever other layers I am wearing.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine