The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

OMG, I'm telling you, we are twins! I do pilates for tight flexors and hamstrings too Yeah, I figured you were in a demo, just commented since someone else mentioned the saddle not fitting the horse well - it isn't adjusted to him, that is the "joy" of a demo saddle.

Oh, the joys of saddle shopping

In order to get a better idea of if the saddle fits the horse, we need to see the saddle just sitting on the horse. No girth, no saddle pad, stirrups hanging down. The pictures need to be taken from the side as well as a couple taken at an angle from the horse's chest so we can see the contour of the tree to the horse's barrel. Later on....after we see if the saddle fits the horse....then we can look at if the saddle fits you. But, the first order is to see if the saddle fits the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    In order to get a better idea of if the saddle fits the horse, we need to see the saddle just sitting on the horse. No girth, no saddle pad, stirrups hanging down. The pictures need to be taken from the side as well as a couple taken at an angle from the horse's chest so we can see the contour of the tree to the horse's barrel. Later on....after we see if the saddle fits the horse....then we can look at if the saddle fits you. But, the first order is to see if the saddle fits the horse.
    Angel, this is a demo saddle - it is NOT fitted to the horse. It is a custom saddle, so if purchased, it would be widened or narrowed as needed, and panels would be flocked as needed. So the question is - CAN the saddle be fitted to the horse and does the saddle work for the rider?

I've no saddle advice for you, but wanted to chime in on the hubba hubbas What a lovely horse! With those gaits and those flashy markings, I predict that your boy will quickly garner his own barnrat fanclub

Oh, the fun you're going to have... Congratulations.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Angel, this is a demo saddle - it is NOT fitted to the horse. It is a custom saddle, so if purchased, it would be widened or narrowed as needed, and panels would be flocked as needed. So the question is - CAN the saddle be fitted to the horse and does the saddle work for the rider?
    The tree might be made wider, or more narrow. But, this does not necessarily change the shape of the tree, i.e. in other words, how the tree contours from the withers down to behind the shoulders. Widening a scissor-shaped tree for a rounded barrel horse will not fit the horse properly. Doing this on a rounded-barrel horse will result in the points of the tree no longer gouging the horse's shoulders, but instead, the head of the tree will be too wide, and will not clear the horse's withers properly.

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    The tree might be made wider, or more narrow. But, this does not necessarily change the shape of the tree, i.e. in other words, how the tree contours from the withers down to behind the shoulders. Widening a scissor-shaped tree for a rounded barrel horse will not fit the horse properly. Doing this on a rounded-barrel horse will result in the points of the tree no longer gouging the horse's shoulders, but instead, the head of the tree will be too wide, and will not clear the horse's withers properly.
    I understand that, just wanted to clarify that this saddle may not currently be widened appropriately through the gullet. It isn't just the gullet width that is an issue, of course, it is shape of panels to horse's back, etc. I don't really think total fit can be verified by photos or video, I think it takes an on-site look/feel of horse and saddle. Easier (by photo/video) to tell if the saddle is helping or hindering the rider. Saddle shopping hell!

Default I tried all the saddles on him and posted pics...

Thank you SO MUCH to those who are helping me . Saddle buying is a nightmare! But a good problem to have.

The flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/horsiepics2012/

has all of the pics on them, plus a few pics of him from the side, and one of his butt. Thanks for the advice on the kind of photos you needed to see. They are labeled.

I also posted two new videos in YouTube under horsiepics2012. They are not the best videos (great ride today but of course no video from today ). When I have the blue t-shirt on, I'm in the Constanze. With the cream colored t-shirt, I'm in the Solo, and it was yesterday. It was my first ride in the Solo.

I rode in it again today and it was very similar to the feel of my ride yesterday that you can see in the video. My riding was better today (much more from a softer calf with spur or whip corrections and much less pushing). I had a small audience. I've learned that an audience helps me listen better and concentrate. Good for showing, I suppose :wink grin:.

My thoughts: I think the Advantage is out. The knee roll doesn't do it for me - my knees pop out and over the roll every time I post. The only way to stop this is to grip with my knees, which I am trying to NOT do.

Both the Solo and the Constanze are allegedly size 18 (both are marked 18). The Constanze seems to have a more narrow twist (see, I'm learning!) than does the Solo, but they look very different in their sizes. You can see that from the video. I feel very one with him in the Constanze. The Solo is good also, but I feel like I have more freedom in the saddle - some good, some not good. In the video I have in the Constanze (blue shirt), it was VERY windy that day. I was freaked out, and probably was gripping. His tail was a bit active. Was that the wind or the saddle or my riding? Not sure. I think I may ride better in the Constanze. Not sure. Probably not enough time yet.

The Solo: much less expensive. considerably less expensive, and this is a factor. But I don't want to get the wrong saddle based on cost. The biggest differences are: 1. My knee. It seems like it is very active in the Solo. Forward, backward, forward, backward. Look at my rising trot. It doesn't seem to do that as much in the Constanze. 2. It seems big for my butt. How can they both be an 18? I have a blister on the space between my leg and cheek...does this mean my seat is BETTER in the Solo because I'm sitting on my seat bones? Or does it mean that my tan pants have a wrinkle...

Thanks for any help and guidance and "I would do x" advice that you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    I've no saddle advice for you, but wanted to chime in on the hubba hubbas What a lovely horse! With those gaits and those flashy markings, I predict that your boy will quickly garner his own barnrat fanclub

Oh, the fun you're going to have... Congratulations.
    Thank you very much!! I appreciate it. We are having a blast!!! Thanks

Those more knowledgeable than I will chime in on the saddle fit for the horse - though I'm not crazy about how the panels fit on either of your final choices, they both look to be a bit steep for your horse's back to me.

For you, I liked you better in the Constanze, the Solo looks like a bit of a chair seat to me. And the whole "got a blister" would make me concerned if it had never happened before with those breeches.