The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody ever use Lucerne Farms forage products?

I have a 23 year old pony mare with bad teeth/missing teeth/wave mouth. We are having a hard time keeping weight on her, and she is a picky eater to boot. She gets a flake of 1st cut hay in the morning to play with (no grass this time of year where we are) and a flake of 2nd cut hay at night in a haynet as well. Most of the hay ends up in little quid balls on the ground. So, we are feeding huge amounts of senior feed (Blue Seal Senior Sentinel - all soaked after an impaction colic this summer) and soaked timothy alfalfa cubes and soaked beet pulp pellets. And rice bran. And U-Gard. And Senior Flex. And Red Cell pellets. And Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. She has no topline, even in regular work, and her ribs are clearly showing. She does look much better than she did last winter, before we gave up on the hay and increased the senior feed and cubes and beet pulp. But... she has pretty much stopped eating the soaked cubes and beet pulp. She'll eat the soaked senior pellets, but stops eating when she's finished that, leaving the cubes and beet pulp in her tub. I do think she needs the long fiber of the cubes, which she does not get in her senior pellets.

So - the question is - is the Lucerne Farms chopped forage chopped fine enough for a horse to gum without having to soak it? Or should we just stick with the soaked cubes? I don't want to spend a fortune on a bag of chopped forage only to find out that it's not as chopped as I would have hoped. Pretty soon now her soaked feed is going to be freezing if she doesn't eat it right away, so I was hoping for something she could "graze" on all night.

Any other ideas to keep her eating?
    Last edited by 4cornersfarm; Nov. 29, 2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: forgot the BOSS

I used to feed it but switched to the Triple Crown forage and i've been happy with it. The bags from Lucerne Farms were just too inconsistent - some super dry/hard while others were super damp. And I have found small rocks in the bags. The TC forage has been consistent bag after bag and my mare will eat all of what I give her but would tend to leave some of the Lucerne brand in her feed tub. You might want to try their Safe Starch forage - i've had really good luck with it. It is considered a complete forage so you don't have to feed anything else with it. You don't have to soak it and it's great for horses/ponies with teeth issues.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

1 members found this post helpful.

I used the Lucerne Hi Fi Gold from my aged, laminitic stallion with great success.

My old guy LOVED his Alfa Supreme!
    (almost 32, terrible teeth, and couldn't properly chew grass or hay at all). The dentist thought he'd be fine with cubes, but after a prior experience in attempting to soak little green bricks into submission, I tried him with the chopped forage - we started with TNT chops (easiest for me to find at TSC) and he liked those, but I wanted him to get more alfalfa, so we tried Triple Crown - he didn't like it much at all - it felt damp and sticky to me, and the chopped pieces were much coarser than the TNT. I had a sample of the Lucerne Farms and offered that - drier and finer cut than the Triple Crown, but all alfalfa (so better for our needs than the TNT). He loved it and for the last few months I had him, he got as much of that as he wanted - to supplement the grass that was coming in. He did beautifully on it, and actually put on weight over the end of the winter.

I would definitely give it a try if I were in your position.

(Oh, and my new pony loves it too, though she doesn't need it - I'm just giving it to her by the handful as a "treat" with her regular hay!)

And just remembered that I had a sample of their Timothy/Alfalfa mix, and it had the same fine texture as the straight alfalfa.

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree, give it a try! I've recently started using it for my four geldings trying to stretch out my regular hay supply and have been very happy so far (I've been through about 5-6 bags). They each get a 5-gallon bucket full at night (about 4-5 pounds). The two older horses (16 & 10) love it and leave their other food to go eat it first. The three year old finishes most of his up by morning, although he usually leaves a little bit, and the eight year old normally only eats about half of his. However, he can tend to be kind of picky anyway, plus I'm going to try to switch him to the Alfalfa only version because on an allergy test last year he did come up positive to timothy hay so he may just be trying to tell me that it just doesn't sit well with him. I've not found any rocks and so far the bags have all been consistent in terms of quality.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I've had better luck with triple crown forage, especially the alfalfa. Lucerne farm alfalfa was just too stemmy for my older mare to chew. I also agree that bags can be inconsistent.

The TC comes in a 50 lb bag instead of 40 also.

Given the pony's teeth, I'd probably stay away from the LF alfalfa unless it's soaked. My mare would not eat it that way.

I've fed the Lucern Farms forages for many years to lots of different horses. It's still my personal favorite. Of course saying that, I haven't tried TC forage.
    Right now I have a 23 yr old gelding of a friends at my place. He cannot eat any hay due to old colic surgery & scar tissue in small intestine. He looks fabulous on Equine Senior & bagged, chopped alfalfa. He was fed Purina bagged alfalfa but I switched him to the Lucern since it's sold at the same place I buy feed at. The Purina was like a powder it was so fine but I did seem to find sticks & small tree roots in it. The Lucern Farms has been very consistent for me & dust free. Of course I soak all of this gelding's feed as well as his chopped alfalfa.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I feed this wacky stuff called Chaffhaye to my bad-toothed oldie. If you're not familiar with it, it's alf haylage -- fermented alfalfa, sprayed with a little molasses -- in 50lb bags. It's soft, with the consistency of a moist pipe tobacco. It smells weird, too, like cured olives, but all three of my horses are nutso for it. As are the deer, the cows, the wild hogs, and the camels. It's kinda spendy, since you're paying for a lot of moisture, but my saggy old girl has a semblance of a topline again and I don't have to soak anything since its already sort of pre-digested.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Quote Originally Posted by mlb722 View Post
    I've had better luck with triple crown forage, especially the alfalfa. Lucerne farm alfalfa was just too stemmy for my older mare to chew. I also agree that bags can be inconsistent.

The TC comes in a 50 lb bag instead of 40 also.

Given the pony's teeth, I'd probably stay away from the LF alfalfa unless it's soaked. My mare would not eat it that way.
    I had exactly the opposite experience when I tried the Triple Crown - I found it was much stemmier than the Lucerne, and the old man didn't like it enough, so I gave the bag to a friend who's horse had better teeth than my guy's, and they were fine with it.

For what it worth, I've found all the bags of the Lucerne that I've bought to be very consistent, and they were consistent with the samples I'd gotten from the rep at the Horse Expo...

Oh, and I did not soak the chopped forage - tried that, and the old guy refused it - soaked senior feed and alfalfa pellets were fine, but soaked forage - no way!

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    I feed this wacky stuff called Chaffhaye to my bad-toothed oldie. If you're not familiar with it, it's alf haylage -- fermented alfalfa, sprayed with a little molasses -- in 50lb bags. It's soft, with the consistency of a moist pipe tobacco. It smells weird, too, like cured olives, but all three of my horses are nutso for it. As are the deer, the cows, the wild hogs, and the camels. It's kinda spendy, since you're paying for a lot of moisture, but my saggy old girl has a semblance of a topline again and I don't have to soak anything since its already sort of pre-digested.
    I've always been told you can't feed haylage to horses. But it worked out okay for you?

So maybe I should try a bag of the Triple Crown and a bag of the Lucerne and see how it goes. I've had this pony for 11 years, she was my kids' first pony, and now she's playing mounted games with me in the fossils division. We had a bad scare with the colic this summer, and we are just trying to keep weight on her. Thank you all!