The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    Ours had a saddle with the HJ - took me forever to figure out what it was but I did get confirmation from the breeder that he was theirs.

His numbers were different though, he had a double digit year of foaling on one side of his tail and his foal # on the other side - nothing on his hip.
    All registered Silla Argentino have the saddle brand. The ones I've seen are branded on the left hip. Some of the breeders add their own brands, also on the left hip. La Tatabra uses LT, Henry Jota uses HJ, etc. Where was your horse branded with the saddle and HJ if not on the left hip?

OP, the saddle brand is for Silla Argentino has nothing to do with whether the bloodlines are Selle Francais or not (although many are. ) I have been told there is a separate studbook for TBs. Hope someone can find info on your boy. He sounds like a special guy.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    All registered Silla Argentino have the saddle brand. The ones I've seen are branded on the left hip. Some of the breeders add their own brands, also on the left hip. La Tatabra uses LT, Henry Jota uses HJ, etc. Where was your horse branded with the saddle and HJ if not on the left hip?

OP, the saddle brand is for Silla Argentino has nothing to do with whether the bloodlines are Selle Francais or not (although many are. ) I have been told there is a separate studbook for TBs. Hope someone can find info on your boy. He sounds like a special guy.
    He just has the saddle brand on his left hip and then a number on each side of his butt. I was told that, that meant the number of foal born and the year he was born. I would just love to know who his parents are though!!!

All registered Silla Argentino have the saddle brand. The ones I've seen are branded on the left hip.
    Actually - that's not true. We don't use the saddle brand or a farm brand on our horses and they are registered and approved SA. It is not mandatory. Ours do have year and foal number on the butt but nothing on the hip.

ETA - Not mandatory but most farms do use both brands.
    Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ranchopampa or our website at www.ranchopampa.com

Quote Originally Posted by nycjumper View Post
    Actually - that's not true. We don't use the saddle brand or a farm brand on our horses and they are registered and approved SA. It is not mandatory. Ours do have year and foal number on the butt but nothing on the hip.
    Thanks for the correction. I haven't seen any without the brand, but good to know they're out there. Are the tail numbers mandatory? I find them much more distracting than a hip brand.

Unfortunately yes, the tail numbers are mandatory. I find branding distracting in general but there doesn't seem to be any way around that one!

(And I can't tell you how much fun it is branding semi-feral foals on their butt!! :0 )
    Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ranchopampa or our website at www.ranchopampa.com

Ours was on the hip with tail numbers.

Ridedreamdo - haven't had any luck digging up any information on him. Without a registered name or even knowing if Wolker was his name here or knowing a breeding farm, it's not easy. I'll call fomento on Monday and see if they might have any ideas.

ETA - Did you ask the seller if they have any further information on him? Or do you know when he was imported and whether there was an agent involved?

Quote Originally Posted by nycjumper View Post
    Ridedreamdo - haven't had any luck digging up any information on him. Without a registered name or even knowing if Wolker was his name here or knowing a breeding farm, it's not easy. I'll call fomento on Monday and see if they might have any ideas.

ETA - Did you ask the seller if they have any further information on him? Or do you know when he was imported and whether there was an agent involved?
    Hi i was just wondering if you had contacted the fomento ?