The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Argentine Warmbloods

Does anyone know anything about them?

We have had several. What do you want to know? Most of ours have been Selle Francais or Holsteiner lines, some crossed with Argentinian thoroughbreds. Ours have been very good jumpers.

I was in Argentina on business a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to ride a bunch. All very nice horses, but a wide variety within them. I fell in love with a big, 20 year old white (yeah, I know, grey) ex-jumper.... still so spicy and athletic! All the ones I rode were jumper type but there was a nice dressage horse (4th level) as well.

Sure, they are exporting a bunch of them to us up here.

They have bred some very nice TBs out of our own exported JC lines that seem to be more durable/useable then some of what we are getting domestically from the faddish "sire du jour" types that retire at 30-40 months after a light race career.

Alone or crossed on traditional WB types they have worked out really well. And they have Zangershieds down there-your elite big stick Jumpers. Amazing Polo Ponies too...they have quite a healthy industry.

It's a nice alternative to Europe. Cost are similar for transport, horses may be a bit less for comparable quality and experience.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    We have had several. What do you want to know? Most of ours have been Selle Francais or Holsteiner lines, some crossed with Argentinian thoroughbreds. Ours have been very good jumpers.
    Hi, yes i have a Argentine Selle Francais! When I bough him i never found out who his parents were! It all got mixed up! I was just wondering if there is a way to find out who they are????

Do you know his registered name? What farm he came from? His brands can help with that if you don't know. His year of birth will be next to his tail and the farm brands are on the left hip.

Does anyone know of a link to the big auction they have? I read about it somewhere and can't find it.

Henry Jota's auction is next week I think. I couldn't get their website to come up, but the auction horses have video on their YouTube page.

www.harashj.com

or search Henry Jota in YouTube.

FWIW, there are other auctions. I know another large farm has one in the spring, can't recall which one. Maybe Tatabra?

Our spring...their fall, seasons are switched in the southern hemisphere. Changes when some of the young stock sales are held....it is autumn as many do with young stock to move them before winter up here, but it's April.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Rancho Pampa also holds an auction. I'm friends with one of their people, I'll point her to this thread.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

when I was in Argentina I was very impressed with their sporthorses. Most seemed to be on the smaller side, but were super talented jumpers.

Do you know his registered name? What farm he came from? His brands can help with that if you don't know. His year of birth will be next to his tail and the farm brands are on the left hip.
    He has the argentine warmblood saddle brand on his left hip........and has to numbers on each side of his butt

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie8 View Post
    Rancho Pampa also holds an auction. I'm friends with one of their people, I'll point her to this thread.
    Thanks Lisa! We are doing our first auction in March 2013 for horses already under saddle (4/5/6 YOs) - they will be ready to enter the ring or already in the ring showing. The other farms typically auction off 3 YOs who aren't under saddle yet. The big ones are La Tatabra and Henry Jota. Windcrest used to do a big auction but they have gotten out of the breeding business and liquidated their stock. Haras Baral and Siglo XXI do an auction of 3 YOs in April. There is also a bunch of smaller farms that do auctions as well.

There is a heavy SF and Holsteiner influence on the breeding here but you can find all the major European bloodlines. As mentioned, zangersheide also has a big program here in Argentina (next door to us actually).

Ridedreamdo - the numbers will be year of birth and what foal # he was that year. For example, the 3rd foal born this year in our breeding progarm will have 12 tattooed on 1 side and 3 on the other.

Do you know what his registered name was here? I'm happy to look it up but would need a registered name.
    Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ranchopampa or our website at www.ranchopampa.com

Sounds Henry Jota's brand - if you email them with his year and number they will tell you who he is. We did this with a horse we leased for DD and I heard back from them the day after I sent the email.

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    Sounds Henry Jota's brand - if you email them with his year and number they will tell you who he is. We did this with a horse we leased for DD and I heard back from them the day after I sent the email.
    Henry Jota's brand is an HJ, sounds like this guy just has the Silla Argentino saddle brand.

Quote Originally Posted by nycjumper View Post
    Thanks Lisa! We are doing our first auction in March 2013 for horses already under saddle (4/5/6 YOs) - they will be ready to enter the ring or already in the ring showing. The other farms typically auction off 3 YOs who aren't under saddle yet. The big ones are La Tatabra and Henry Jota. Windcrest used to do a big auction but they have gotten out of the breeding business and liquidated their stock. Haras Baral and Siglo XXI do an auction of 3 YOs in April. There is also a bunch of smaller farms that do auctions as well.

There is a heavy SF and Holsteiner influence on the breeding here but you can find all the major European bloodlines. As mentioned, zangersheide also has a big program here in Argentina (next door to us actually).

Ridedreamdo - the numbers will be year of birth and what foal # he was that year. For example, the 3rd foal born this year in our breeding progarm will have 12 tattooed on 1 side and 3 on the other.

Do you know what his registered name was here? I'm happy to look it up but would need a registered name.
    Hi registered name is Wolker !! please help me find out more about him!

Quote Originally Posted by ridedreamdo View Post
    Hi registered name is Wolker !! please help me find out more about him!
    Do you have a copy of his passport from here or anything with his full name? Registered name would have a breeding prefix - ie, La Tatabra Wolker or HJ Wolker. I tried several farm prefixes with Wolker in fomento equino but didn't come up with anything.

And it's Wolker, not Walker?

If you can, send me a PM with the info that you have (DOB, full registered name, etc) and I'll try to find out more.
    Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ranchopampa or our website at www.ranchopampa.com

Hi i did not recive a pass port for him when i bought him! I bough him from a trainner in California, and before that he had been imported from argentina. I have no idea who his parents are? He is an amazing horse though! On his papers it says hes an argentine throughbred. But he has the argentina Selle Francis brands. On the papers i got when i bought him just say.

Nombre: Wolker
    Pelaje: Alazan
    Then it shows all his markings. The person who imported him was Celia Alessandrini, Lazcar International, Inc Res#MAIC-08-0304
    For delivery to Michelle Kholer in California.
    He has a saddle brand on his left hip. A 9 on his left butt and a 4 on his right hip. I think that means hes 8 years old. Which they said he was and the vet. So if you could help me in any way that would be great!

Henry Jota's brand is an HJ, sounds like this guy just has the Silla Argentino saddle brand.
    Ours had a saddle with the HJ - took me forever to figure out what it was but I did get confirmation from the breeder that he was theirs.

His numbers were different though, he had a double digit year of foaling on one side of his tail and his foal # on the other side - nothing on his hip.