The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Why the change of title? The original post is quoted on page 1...

I understand the OP's philosophy of "nothing asked, nothing gained", but if I had been in the same situation I would have sold the breeches to someone else.

I recently ordered three pairs of SmartPak denim breeches in three different sizes. I sent two back after trying them on and determining they don't fit, and wore the one that was the "best fit". It still isn't a great fit, but I'm not going to return a used item that isn't defective.

1 members found this post helpful.

All of the replies have been changed as well, but have been quoted in the thread, so it really doesnt matter.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    SmartPak definitely is a class act in this case. They had absolutely no obligation to accept this return!
    Definitely more class than the OP, I can see why she deleted her original post.

2 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by TrakHack View Post
    Why the change of title? The original post is quoted on page 1...

I understand the OP's philosophy of "nothing asked, nothing gained", but if I had been in the same situation I would have sold the breeches to someone else.

I recently ordered three pairs of SmartPak denim breeches in three different sizes. I sent two back after trying them on and determining they don't fit, and wore the one that was the "best fit". It still isn't a great fit, but I'm not going to return a used item that isn't defective.
    Ah, the joys of quoting...we now went from saddles to Simon Eades...

That took me a minute, lol...I thought it had actually gotten deleted, which wouldnt suprise me really.

It is so weird, I see a thread with new posts that I posted on per the little symbols that are there but I do not recognize the title. Twice now.

OP, you changing the title and deleting your posts is not making you look better. It actually is doing a fine job of making you look worse.

Do you think the average COTH is not going to notice that every post after the edited OP is about a totally different subject?

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Do you think the average COTH is not going to notice that every post after the edited OP is about a totally different subject?
    I'm usually pretty inclined to click on anything with a few pages of responses anyways, so I don't think a title change is really going to deter people. They're going to think, "Simon Eades? What's going on with Simon Eades that we need 4 pages to discuss?" then they'll click, see this trainwreck, and it will effectively draw even more attention to it, rather than those who have already read it and moved on long ago.

4 members found this post helpful.

I love saddles too. And Ponies. And SMARTPAK!

Wheeee!!!!!!

ETA-
    Haha - she edited her OP AGAIN. So now this post totally makes no sense. oops. Oh well, I guess it totally fits in with this thread now
    Last edited by wcporter; Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: shes a sneaky one!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I love saddles too. And Ponies. And SMARTPAK!

Wheeee!!!!!!

ETA-
    Haha - she edited her OP AGAIN. So now this post totally makes no sense. oops. Oh well, I guess it totally fits in with this thread now
    And Simon Eades ?

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Well, yeah, but I'd have felt really bad asking them for a refund based on my mistake. Their mistake, no problem. Mine - IDK, I wouldn't feel right doing that. I think you did the right thing in this situation. The reason awesome refund policies like smartpaks and LL Beans go bye bye is because people take advantage of them, ruining it for the rest of us.
    I think that this is an extreme example of going above and beyond. Both SmartPak and LL Bean are successful companies because this is the exception to the rule and the majority of customers would not do this. You win a few and you lose a few and hopefully come out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    And Simon Eades ?
    An' who besides me wants to send the innocent Mr Eades a link to this fine thread bearing his name ...

but I suppose the OP thinks that is OK as well

just in case Simon calls me to ask who
    ~Jenny~
    http://tailsoftheottb.blogspot.com/

She can do what she wants with the breeches & SP but dragging the British Eventer's name into it is just WOW
    Last edited by alto; Nov. 30, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

All she had to do was say, "You know, maybe I didn't do the right thing." But I guess she's one of those who is always right, no matter what. Changing the title and the initial post is nothing short of infantile.

Well, we all know who she is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Ill just say that Patchwork Farm is a highly reputable business and this should not reflect on them. The OP is only an assistant at PW and this thread, by no means, reflects the type of business the owners have. They are top notch in ALL areas and I am sure if the owner had seen this thread she would be just as shocked as the rest of us.

So, please do not judge PW based on the OP's bad judgement since she is only affliated with them as an assistant...it sucks that the farm link is in the OP's signature, but this thread should have no reflection on the type of business and farm THEY run and I respect THEM very much.

6 members found this post helpful.

Relocated maybe you should contact your friend who you so nicely sold breeches to and suggest that she, for the better of her employer, remove their name from her signature.

I believe you that they are not like the OP but since they proudly employ someone with the attitude shown in this thread you can not help but think about them as one unit.

Will the real Patchwork Farm please stand up?

That would be me and for the record I wouldn't have asked SmartPak to take back those breeches. I'm a business owner- Golden Rule and all. Nuff said....

OP is not an employee but teaches Academy Lessons at my farm. As her senior, I also lecture her frequently- thank you COTH for the opportunity to expound upon Business Ethics.

28 members found this post helpful.

I definitely think a line was crossed by returning a second-hand item, and I also have my doubts about how it was presented to customer service.

But some seem to take an extreme view about returns in general. I don't think there's anything amoral about returning items that are used or that you just don't like or fit into, even if that is completely your fault, if it's within the return policy! You are totally allowed to send back all those breeches that didn't fit, and why would doing so make you a bad person?

There are retailers who have such lifetime or satisfaction guarantees, including LL Bean like others mentioned, New Balance back in the day, Sephora, and REI. It is part of their strategy to gain market share. Then you have Target, which might have lost market share with their strict policy.

Poor Simon Eades.

7 members found this post helpful.

No kidding.

Poorly played on the OP's part to: 1) change the title of the thread; 2) erase all of her posts; and 3) link a professional's name with this train wreck.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    Will the real Patchwork Farm please stand up?

That would be me and for the record I wouldn't have asked SmartPak to take back those breeches. I'm a business owner- Golden Rule and all. Nuff said....

OP is not an employee but teaches Academy Lessons at my farm. As her senior, I also lecture her frequently- thank you COTH for the opportunity to expound upon Business Ethics.
    I didn't expect you would condone the OP's behavior and I know you run a reputable business, but I still think she is a poor reflection on your farm and you would be better off to sever your connection with her. Aside from her first mistake in behaving with such lack of ethics in her dealings with Smartpak, her subsequent juvenile behavior on this thread speaks volumes about her.

8 members found this post helpful.

Wow...it's crazy how a "brag about SmartPak" now involves the "exchanger", the company, the original owner of the pants, saddles, Simon Eades, the exchanger's employer, and of course, the rest of us and one big fat lesson in morality. Leave it to COTH...

6 members found this post helpful.