The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Id just like to know which of the above things happened in order for them to determine the replacement amount of the breeches...

Did they give her full retail price towards the store credit, access my account to see how much I paid and give her that amount for store credit, or, did she tell them she paid $25 each ($50 total) and they give her that amount in store credit and she paid the difference herself for the TS and boots?

I know there is really nothing special in "my account"...not like its a bank account for goodness sake, and I am sure they look at them every day to track trends, etc and she probably knows everything I buy from them anyway...but you would have thought they wouldnt/couldnt do that for things like this...it just seems, like I said, sneaky...

But, if they just gave them to her for the full retail price thats a min of $30 "extra" she got that I didnt pay because of discounts...and I have no idea what they were on sale, but it was less than they are listed now.

Or, did she say they were a gift and they give her full retail price for both of them?

Again, like I said, just seems sneaky...I think I am still in shock...
    Last edited by relocatedTXjumpr; Nov. 29, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    I know there is really nothing special in "my account"...not like its a bank account for goodness sake, and I am sure they look at them every day to track trends, etc and she probably knows everything I buy from them anyway...but you would have thought they wouldnt/couldnt do that for things like this...it just seems, like I said, sneaky....
    It's not YOUR account, it's THEIR account with your details in it, I'm pretty sure. That's how people get away with selling email addresses and what not....you submitted the info, it's their info. (Obviously varies from place to place, depends on the company and the fine print.)

Dover did the exact same thing for me once. Had received a pair of boots as a gift and wanted to swap them out. I said "Hey, so and so got them for me.." and they said "Great! Let me pull up the account and see what we owe you."

So it depends, I think, on what the OP said to them, and how she phrased her relationship to you/the breeches.

I think it's a low down, sneaky, no-good thing to do and morally questionable, myself, returning those breeches and expecting Smartpak to eat the cost of them. For shame.

5 members found this post helpful.

I know...its their account, and like I said, its not like its my bank account, etc...and I really shouldnt even be getting upset at Smartpak...I am just trying to rationalize HOW this went down and HOW they determined the store credit amount...its not like she said she exchanged them for a bag of horse treats or hoof oil...she picked two decent priced items, which leads me to believe she got full retail price for them, which I didnt even pay back in April.

My guess is she said they were a gift and she had ridden in them a few times, hence the stains on the biege ones...maybe a gift from a student or a few students and she "didnt know" who had ordered them...so they just didnt have "all" of the correct info to go by...maybe thats how this worked out in her favor.

Even if they did check my account to see what I had paid, she still got a damn good deal in store credit.

Shocked.

2 members found this post helpful.

Done here
    Last edited by Dakotawyatt; Nov. 30, 2012 at 09:33 AM.

I still can't understand what would even possess someone to call on something they bought NEW that no longer fit (or fit poorly when they bought it and they decided to use it multiple times anyway). I know you're happy with your swap, and we ALL agree you got a steal of a deal, but why should SmartPak have given you anything?! As others have brought up, the abuse of liberal return policies is what makes liberal return policies go extinct.

Example: I have some TS Trophies I bought there this summer. They fit decently, but not amazingly. I bought them, showed and rode in them, and have since lost 5 pounds so the fit has gone downhill considerably and I should have bought down a size instead of buying up a size. Is this SmartPak's fault? Should we all get our money back for weight fluctuations and changes of heart?

OP, I'm glad you are happy with their service and giving them some good PR for it, but there is a reason everyone has turned this into a "witch hunt" - you really took advantage of them.

10 members found this post helpful.

Done here
    Last edited by Dakotawyatt; Nov. 30, 2012 at 09:33 AM.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

That's so weird....so she bought them off a "friend", somehow convinced smartpak they were a gift and managed to get store credit for them? And smartpak took them despite that one of the breeches had stains?! Wow, still wrapping my head around this one too. Sorry you got (even if possibly inadvertently on the part of the OP) screwed over, TXJumpr. That sucks!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    They are an amazing company, and I told them I FULLY didn't expect ANYTHING, but nothing asked, nothing gained. I told them they were purchased new months ago, HAD BEEN RIDDEN IN AND WERE GENTLY USED, and would completely understand if they couldn't swap them out. I WANTED THE BRADLEY BREECHES, I LIKED THEM AND WANTED TO SEE IF THE NEXT SIZE UP WOULD FIT. EBAY DIDN'T HAVE ANY. I LIVE 2 HOURS FROM THE NEAREST TACK CONSIGNMENT STORE. Geez, unreal.
    Of course since you called and asked they had to appease you.

Otherwise, you could have ended up on here talking smack about SP because they didn't fulfill their "will ALWAYS accept returns" policy. And they dont want that.

You took advantage of them, plain and simple. That's all.

And yes, SP is awesome. And I'm sure once you hung up, the sales girl turned to her neighbor and said you're not going to BELIEVE what this chic just asked if I could do.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

17 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Darn it - got my first "bad" rating on this thread! Thanks for that...ya wrecked my streak!

1 members found this post helpful.

I got a bad rating too, lol

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

So did I....was wondering if someone would notice almost every post questioning the OP got a bad rating. This is why I don't like these things being anonymous - I wish people would just speak up!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Done here
    Last edited by Dakotawyatt; Nov. 30, 2012 at 09:34 AM.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

You don't know me at all. NO, I would not have some on here talking smack about them. And BECAUSE of how they treated me this time around, the new $$ turnout blanket I would have purchased from the brick and mortar Dover store will now be ordered from SP. The $$ Tipp vest I would have bought from the brick and mortar Dover store will now be ordered from SP. What they "lost" taking back one of their store brand items will now result in several hundred dollars worth of purchases I ordinarily would NOT have purchased from them.
    I don't think people are too concerned about what SmartPak lost as a corporation, but rather feel for your poor friend TxJumper that got played a bit. I mean, she sold them to you, so they were yours to do what you wanted with them. But buying them from your friend for probably suuper cheap (I mean, she already got them on sale and probably sold them to you for less than that) and then returning them to SP for full retail price credit and getting TS breeches out of the deal just doesn't sit well with me, friend wise. I wouldn't do it to a friend.

8 members found this post helpful.

Done here
    Last edited by Dakotawyatt; Nov. 30, 2012 at 09:35 AM.

No, you should have tried then on when I brought them to you, like I offered. Then if they didn't fit no big deal...it's not like it was some random eBay sale.

I think smartpak got screwed here, not me. I just think you should have mentioned what you had done to ME before posting it on a public forum. I would rather sell stuff cheap that I don't use than have it sit here gathering dust...don't see anything wrong with that all.

Like I said, it's not like you bought a $500 car and slapped a new paint job on it and sold it for $750...it's like you bought that car than took it back to the manufacture and got a full credit as if it were new toward a new car simply because you did t test drive it when you bought it.

He'll, the lady I sold my horse trailer too resold it ladt month and made $1k off it...good for her...but she didn't call featherlite and try to exchange it because it wasn't big enough and end up with a living quarters for $5k. See my point??

17 members found this post helpful.

Done here
    Last edited by Dakotawyatt; Nov. 30, 2012 at 09:35 AM.

You know what, it doesn't matter. This has become less about what you did and more about what I did to you...which doesn't make any sense to me.

You started this thread and did not get the response you were hoping for, so now I am the villain who started a witch hunt, fine.

If you are fine with what you did and see nothing wrong...even with me out of it altogether, fine.

For me it's a more a moral issue and less a friend issue.

I did nothing to you, you shot your own foot here, no one else.

15 members found this post helpful.

I have no dog in this fight, but, just a thought...but would anyone consider buying a horse or taking a lesson from this person, based on her business transactions with SmartPak? Its always smart to be on the moral high ground.

13 members found this post helpful.

Whether the OP Fully disclosed the information or not, Smartpak is choosing to be a company that stands by their products. Anyone do business with LL Bean? They do the same. Lifetime satisfaction guarantee on everything.

I see many parallels in the way Smartpak does business, which is why I choose to do business with them. Does it mean that OP's situation is ethical? Maybe not. But, to me, it really comes down to customer satisfaction, and smartpak delivers. Every time.
    Last edited by pennyforyourthoughts; Nov. 30, 2012 at 08:25 AM.

They are an amazing company, and I told them I FULLY didn't expect ANYTHING, but nothing asked, nothing gained. I told them they were purchased new months ago, HAD BEEN RIDDEN IN AND WERE GENTLY USED, and would completely understand if they couldn't swap them out. I WANTED THE BRADLEY BREECHES, I LIKED THEM AND WANTED TO SEE IF THE NEXT SIZE UP WOULD FIT. EBAY DIDN'T HAVE ANY. I LIVE 2 HOURS FROM THE NEAREST TACK CONSIGNMENT STORE. Geez, unreal.
    Frankly...you're the one being "unreal"! It amazes me that someone would even have the balls to ask for a credit under these circumstances.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

24 members found this post helpful.