The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Gilescito View Post
    But some seem to take an extreme view about returns in general. I don't think there's anything amoral about returning items that are used or that you just don't like or fit into, even if that is completely your fault, if it's within the return policy! You are totally allowed to send back all those breeches that didn't fit, and why would doing so make you a bad person?
    Using your theory people who buy at LL Bean can buy one pair of jeans when they are 10 and never have to buy another pair for the rest of their life.

Companies write policies like this with the thought that most reasonable people buy something expecting a certain life out of it and they will not hold them (retailer) responsible if they ate too much during the holidays and their two year old jeans no longer fit. If they had to write their return policy to cover people like you and the OP it would be as bad as the ammy rules.

New Balance back in the day
    And maybe it is back in the day because too many people took advantage of it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

There are retailers who have such lifetime or satisfaction guarantees, including LL Bean like others mentioned, New Balance back in the day, Sephora, and REI. It is part of their strategy to gain market share.
    I worked in customer service for over 8 years and I saw many customers like the OP. However, I saw our policy change in the past few years because of scenarios like the OP and other abusers, sadly.

The company I worked for has a 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed policy. The key word in that sentence is CUSTOMER. So going off that policy, the OP was not a customer of SmartPak's at that point since she was not the original purchaser of the pants and BOUGHT them second hand. Of course the OP could easy get around that policy without proof of purchase simply by being untruthful and saying the items were a gift since she KNEW the original purchaser had bought them from Smartpak and there would be a record of that purchase. So it all depends on IF the truth was disclosed to Smartpak.

FWIW, I do think the OP was truthful to Smartpak because she's been around long enough to know that Smartpak combs COTH and actually posts here, so telling them one tale and posting another here certainly could come back to bite her in the rear. And I do think her original intention was to give SmartPak a big thumbs up.

It all comes down to morals, I guess. It would never even have crossed my mind to contact Smartpak about a return on an item I bought second hand. But then I am not a person that looks for ways to "beat the system."

I'm sorry OP, but from a person with tons of CS experience, that was a really uncool thing to do and then brag about. If you bought an item second hand and it doesn't work, then you re-sell it on the side like the person before you or you donate/give it away.

I think at the very least, you owe Relocated her $50 bucks back.

ETA: Even though I disagree with what she did, I don't think the OP is a terrible person who deserves to lose her job.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Nov. 30, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Dreaming in Color

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    I think at the very least, you owe Relocated her $50 bucks back.

Dont want it...I want an apology for turning this around on ME and making it MY fault...so much for that Christmas dinner were supposed to have in two weeks!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

5 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I definitely think a line was crossed by returning a second-hand item, and I also have my doubts about how it was presented to customer service.

But some seem to take an extreme view about returns in general. I don't think there's anything amoral about returning items that are used or that you just don't like or fit into, even if that is completely your fault, if it's within the return policy! You are totally allowed to send back all those breeches that didn't fit, and why would doing so make you a bad person?

There are retailers who have such lifetime or satisfaction guarantees, including LL Bean like others mentioned, New Balance back in the day, Sephora, and REI. It is part of their strategy to gain market share. Then you have Target, which might have lost market share with their strict policy.
    Just to clarify, I think it is completely fine to return items that don't fit - assuming you have only worn them long enough to try them on like you would in a store. Returning items such as breeches/boots you have ridden in, spent days walking around in etc is NOT OKAY imo. Neither is returning items that have been personalized. If you are going to get something monogrammed know the correct size or eat the cost, like the other poster did. Consignment stores & Ebay exist for a reason. *off soapbox now...promise!*

FWIW, I was hoping JSalems business would not come into this after I realized the OP was connected to it (I do not always read sig lines, whoops). I have always respected her suggestions on threads and would absolutely take lessons from her/board at her farm if I lived in the area and could afford it!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    Simon is a British eventer and is really wonderful. There's not much info out there on him, and there should be.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ht=Simon+Eades
    now is probably time for you to stop posting for the day, and maybe request the mods to remove this thread which is going everywhere except where you wanted it to go... It was fun when it was only anonymous people on a forum, but here we are with your boss or "senior" posting here and confirming that they obviously disagree with you... really, that can't be good for you.
    I understand you wanted to praise SP's customer service, and you seemed to have good intentions doing it. But many people here are business owners or professionals, and they don't think it's funny to take advantage of the system for your own profit.

At the risk of getting a butt wupping from the group, I think this is too far. It wouldn't have occurred to me to even try returning the pants, but as long as she was honest about them being second hand and used, I am going to put it in the "Wow to Smartpak Customer Service" bin and move on. Not what I would have done, but I personally don't feel it has to mean she is a terrible overall person and deserves to lose her job. So many things in life make me raise my eyebrows, then shrug and move on. Even though I am personally not comfortable with what she did, I can certainly separate the OP and a questionable move from her employer who seems to be very upstanding.

It does seem like it would have been wiser for her to reverse course in the thread much earlier and in a more mature way.

Shrugs shoulders and moves on...

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I didn't expect you would condone the OP's behavior and I know you run a reputable business, but I still think she is a poor reflection on your farm and you would be better off to sever your connection with her. Aside from her first mistake in behaving with such lack of ethics in her dealings with Smartpak, her subsequent juvenile behavior on this thread speaks volumes about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    I have always respected her suggestions on threads and would absolutely take lessons from her/board at her farm if I lived in the area and could afford it!
    I totally agree with this. I would not trust her employee, but now that I know who her employer is I would trust them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Dont want it...I want an apology for turning this around on ME and making it MY fault...so much for that Christmas dinner were supposed to have in two weeks!
    Sorry, but this made me laugh. Only COTH can create so much drama! I feel for you, and I hope your Christmas dinner can be salvaged.

4 members found this post helpful.

I sincerely apologize to Relocatedtxjpr, SmartPak, Simon, and Patchwork Farm. I posted the thread after reading about the "Dover gripe", and my ONLY intention was to applaud SmartPak for their outstanding customer service. I am truly sorry for thinking to call them and ask for the exchange, I only wanted the same pants I had and figured the worst they could say was "no". I was completely honest and upfront about what I was asking for, and they chose to make the exchange. I now see how that was silly, and I can promise I will never do anything of the sort again. I hope my actions can be forgiven, because I promise I am an ethical and upstanding person and a damn hard worker all the time. I'm completely embarrassed by the way this thread has turned out, and only changed the title to get it to DIE! I made a very big error of judgement, I hurt a friend and didn't mean to, and for that I am genuinely sorry. Now, I am done on this thread, please carry on.

8 members found this post helpful.

Patchwork has always been on my top lists of people to train with if I for some reason find myself in georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Sorry, but this made me laugh. Only COTH can create so much drama! I feel for you, and I hope your Christmas dinner can be salvaged.
    To be clear...the original issue is not what irritated me...caught me off guard, yes...Ive know this person for many years and never would have even thought for a second she would have thought returning something second hand was ok...let alone something she got from me and getting more than I paid for it orginally since they just used the listed retail price and not the purchase price. Its a moral issue and I THOUGHT I knew this person. But, I could easily just shake my head and count that up to something new learned.

It was the "conversation" that took place between us about this thread that has turned me from being "shocked" to mad and hurt...so thats my beef. Like I said earlier...she lost more than the $50 she paid for the breeches.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    I sincerely apologize to Relocatedtxjpr, SmartPak, Simon, and Patchwork Farm. I posted the thread after reading about the "Dover gripe", and my ONLY intention was to applaud SmartPak for their outstanding customer service. I am truly sorry for thinking to call them and ask for the exchange, I only wanted the same pants I had and figured the worst they could say was "no". I was completely honest and upfront about what I was asking for, and they chose to make the exchange. I now see how that was silly, and I can promise I will never do anything of the sort again. I hope my actions can be forgiven, because I promise I am an ethical and upstanding person and a damn hard worker all the time. I'm completely embarrassed by the way this thread has turned out, and only changed the title to get it to DIE! I made a very big error of judgement, I hurt a friend and didn't mean to, and for that I am genuinely sorry. Now, I am done on this thread, please carry on.
    Forgiven here. Life lesson and all that jazz.
    Dreaming in Color

I think this would be an appropriate time to shut the door on this thread, since it's veered so far off course. OP has explained herself, and there's not much more to say on the topic.

Feel free to start a new thread on the general policies of various tack companies, but this one is done.

Mod 3

4 members found this post helpful.