The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 93
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    OK. So I buy breeches from my pregnant friend. Who sells stuff ALL THE TIME for CHEAP. She buys a LOT of stuff and turns around and sells it cheap when it doesn't fit/work/whatever. They DON'T FIT. What am I supposed to do, call her up and say "Hey, these don't fit. Why don't you take them back and refund my money?" No, I held onto them, weighed my options, and took a shot in the dark that I could get the SAME PANTS in a size that fits. I honestly and truly don't see how I screwed over my friend.
    You sell them on eBay or to another friend for what you paid—you don't go to the original merchant and expect a full refund. Sure, SmartPak did right by you, but I think the problem is that you would even THINK to call SmartPak to exchange an item you bought secondhand. That's just wild to me.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA and New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    I have to admit, it never would have dawned on me to ask a merchant for a return/credit or exchange on an item I bought used from the originally purchaser. As a party buying the item second hand, I have no privity of contract with the merchant.

    The fact that SmartPak went above and beyond under these circumstances is really impressive. It makes me a bit less aggravated that they have started excluding almost everything I want from their sales!
    Last edited by TarheelJD; Nov. 30, 2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: I hate auto-correct
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2005
    Posts
    3,891

    Default

    Well, this type of policy is what makes me keep going back. My family members, particularly my parents, will purchase something from Smartpak (at the store) and being ornery, refuse to give any information (like they want horse mail/spam!). They also never remember a gift receipt. So if I need to return something, or exchange it, I'd be SOL without any real proof of where it was purchased (though they don't remove the tag completely, so often you can spot the Smartpak font).

    This OP's story is akin to receiving a used gift...sort-of...

    And they do sell monogrammed stuff at the store, in the clearance sections I thought I found a spectacular deal on a stable-sheet. Sure did - $15 for a Rambo stable sheet..until I took it out and noticed the monogramming For $15 I don't really care, but it was annoying.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,168

    Default

    It is scary to me that Dakota can not see why people are scratching their head at what she did here. Lack of moral compass clearly.

    The issue is not that you bought breeches from a friend who sold them to you for a cheap price and how that friend sells things frequently, etc. The issue is not your desire to have breeches that fit a certain way and your right to not have to wear breeches that do not fit that way. The issue is not anything to do with Smartpak and how great they are.

    The issue is that you even had the thought to call them and see if they would take these breeches back.
    It is not the same as if you got them as a gift and they did not work out. No matter how much you want to twist it in your head OP, you truly are lacking some moral fiber that makes it obvious to most people that even though the merchant will do it does not mean you should ask them to.

    Next thing you will be going to swap meets and garage sales and buying old Smartpak items just so you can call them up and ask them to take them back.



    Ridiculous.


    And for the record, I would not have called LL Bean asking for any type of credit on a 4yo sweater either. Great that they took care of you but after 4 years it seems you got plenty of useful life out of the sweater and it was no fault of theirs that it shrunk.




    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I think it's a low down, sneaky, no-good thing to do and morally questionable, myself, returning those breeches and expecting Smartpak to eat the cost of them. For shame.
    Totally agree!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    I told them they were purchased new months ago
    Did you include they were purchased new months ago by a different person and you bought them used from this person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    They DON'T FIT. What am I supposed to do
    You do what the rest of us do when we buy something used (at a garage sale or a swap meet or such) and it does not fit, you either call it a loss and give them to someone they will fit or you resell them.
    Not rocket science to those of us with morals.


    Quote Originally Posted by mybeau View Post
    I have no dog in this fight, but, just a thought...but would anyone consider buying a horse or taking a lesson from this person, based on her business transactions with SmartPak? Its always smart to be on the moral high ground.
    I most certainly would not. Where are they located? I want to make sure I avoid them at all costs.


    15 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Qc
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I most certainly would not. Where are they located? I want to make sure I avoid them at all costs.
    Maybe Dakota has a Satisfaction Guaranteed policy as good as Smartpack on her horse and lesson business!





    7 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2010
    Location
    Newtown, CT
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    It is scary to me that Dakota can not see why people are scratching their head at what she did here. Lack of moral compass clearly.

    The issue is not that you bought breeches from a friend who sold them to you for a cheap price and how that friend sells things frequently, etc. The issue is not your desire to have breeches that fit a certain way and your right to not have to wear breeches that do not fit that way. The issue is not anything to do with Smartpak and how great they are.

    The issue is that you even had the thought to call them and see if they would take these breeches back.
    It is not the same as if you got them as a gift and they did not work out. No matter how much you want to twist it in your head OP, you truly are lacking some moral fiber that makes it obvious to most people that even though the merchant will do it does not mean you should ask them to.

    Next thing you will be going to swap meets and garage sales and buying old Smartpak items just so you can call them up and ask them to take them back.



    Ridiculous.


    And for the record, I would not have called LL Bean asking for any type of credit on a 4yo sweater either. Great that they took care of you but after 4 years it seems you got plenty of useful life out of the sweater and it was no fault of theirs that it shrunk.





    Totally agree!


    Did you include they were purchased new months ago by a different person and you bought them used from this person?


    You do what the rest of us do when we buy something used (at a garage sale or a swap meet or such) and it does not fit, you either call it a loss and give them to someone they will fit or you resell them.
    Not rocket science to those of us with morals.



    I most certainly would not. Where are they located? I want to make sure I avoid them at all costs.
    I just read this thread and...yes to all of the above! Well said!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2002
    Location
    Area VIII, Region 2, Zone 5.
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    OK. So I buy breeches from my pregnant friend. Who sells stuff ALL THE TIME for CHEAP. She buys a LOT of stuff and turns around and sells it cheap when it doesn't fit/work/whatever. They DON'T FIT. What am I supposed to do...?
    You're supposed to do exactly what your pregnant friend does, not ask a retailer to buy them back at full price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb


    9 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2000
    Location
    Ellijay, GA
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    I just want to know what me buying stuff and selling it cheap when it no longer fits my needs, etc has to do with anything? I would rather sell it than have it sit here gathering dust...and I most certainly would NOT return it (unless it had broke, etc)...I think you have probably come out pretty good on a few of those deals yourself...I am not in the business of buying stuff and selling it to make money...if I sell it its because I no longer need it and just want it GONE...again, what does that have to do with anything in this situation?

    The breeches were sold at $25 each, which was a heck of a deal...but it kept them from hanging in my closet and gave someone some really NICE schooling breeches at a wonderful price. I never expected anyone to try and return them for their orginal retail amount though.

    I still want to know how I turned out to be the bad guy here? I asked a simple question...HOW did SP determine the credit amount for the breeches...and I still dont have the answer, although I THINK I know the answer.

    I also NEVER said I got screwed but that SP got screwed...I think I got duped really...and I was more shocked that you would have even attempted to return them at all...and then the name calling, etc started, so yes, now I am just mad.

    Good for you for coming out on the good end of this $$ wise...but I think in the long run all this did was cost you more than the $50 you bought the breeches for.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"


    9 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,168

    Default

    Relocated, I doubt anyone thinks you did anything wrong here. There is nothing wrong with selling stuff you do not use anymore, etc.

    The OP is trying to take the lights off her and what she did by twisting and turning in a hope that the smoke and mirrors confuses people enough to not see exactly what she did.

    Just ignore it and take it as a gift that you now realize what type of person she is...or is not.


    ETA - The OP changed the title and removed the original post. Laugh. Too bad for her that smart people quoted her.


    10 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul. 28, 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    DO you know who ultimately pays when people try to get something for nothing and for people who stretch retailers to the limit like that? Us other folks!!!!

    I am dismayed by the number of posts recently whining about this or that did not meet their unreasonable expectations. Such as why won't my horse insurer keep covering me when I have far exceeded my money's worth on medical claims? Why doesn't my retailer bend over backwards with exchanges and returns because I don't know what size I wear?
    friend of bar.ka


    4 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2007
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    663

    Default

    wow that's 50 shades of messed up!
    Customer service is... well.... for customers! I don't even understand why someone would think of exchanging an item they bought used from a third party.

    Maybe I'm going to call Gucci to return these shoes I bought at Goodwill last week, they kind of hurt my feet...


    9 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    wow that's 50 shades of messed up!
    Customer service is... well.... for customers! I don't even understand why someone would think of exchanging an item they bought used from a third party.
    But the OP is a customer, has bought other things there, so geez. Those other purchases are enough to make this an OK thing.
    [/sarcasm]

    Oh wait, should I retype that in all caps and yell it at everyone just to make the point a little stronger?


    4 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2012
    Posts
    316

    Default

    This is interesting. I bought a cooler 2 years ago. It was the wrong size (my mistake) It has my horse's name on it so I cant really re-sell it to anyone (its also pony size so that makes it ever harder!) Its sitting in storage un-used. I have since bought another one, same brand, same details just one size larger from Smartpak just a few months ago. Huh, I guess I should have sent it back. I had no idea you could with personalized items and couldnt afford buying another one until recently. I thought I was outta luck.



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Nov. 22, 2010
    Location
    Where they've got all Hell for a basement
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post

    The breeches were sold at $25 each
    And are listed on the SmartPak website as 99.95...if SmartPak did indeed give her full ticket refund (which I think they did if I read correctly), she just made herself $150.00...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2000
    Location
    Ellijay, GA
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    SP does say you can return even embriodered items. I have a fly sheet that I got my with initials on it to prevent it from disapearing...leased the horse so now its sitting in my tack box unused. I MAY use it again, but I wouldnt dream of sending it back because it has my initials on it.

    I supposed if you ordered a size 78 cooler with your name on it and they shipped an 82 that would be one thing...their mistake...or if the stitching was really bad. I TRY to make sure I know my sizes, etc before ordering stuff like that.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2000
    Location
    Ellijay, GA
    Posts
    6,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    And are listed on the SmartPak website as 99.95...if SmartPak did indeed give her full ticket refund (which I think they did if I read correctly), she just made herself $150.00...
    And the full seats are $109.95 listed. There was a pair of each.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ActNatural View Post
    This is interesting. I bought a cooler 2 years ago. It was the wrong size (my mistake) It has my horse's name on it so I cant really re-sell it to anyone (its also pony size so that makes it ever harder!) Its sitting in storage un-used. I have since bought another one, same brand, same details just one size larger from Smartpak just a few months ago. Huh, I guess I should have sent it back. I had no idea you could with personalized items and couldnt afford buying another one until recently. I thought I was outta luck.
    Well, yeah, but I'd have felt really bad asking them for a refund based on my mistake. Their mistake, no problem. Mine - IDK, I wouldn't feel right doing that. I think you did the right thing in this situation. The reason awesome refund policies like smartpaks and LL Beans go bye bye is because people take advantage of them, ruining it for the rest of us.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2012
    Posts
    316

    Default

    yeah. Ill just turn it into a dog blanket.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Nov. 22, 2010
    Location
    Where they've got all Hell for a basement
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Well, yeah, but I'd have felt really bad asking them for a refund based on my mistake. Their mistake, no problem. Mine - IDK, I wouldn't feel right doing that. I think you did the right thing in this situation. The reason awesome refund policies like smartpaks and LL Beans go bye bye is because people take advantage of them, ruining it for the rest of us.
    It also creates a headache for people working in retail for those companies that, while still having a refund policy, aren't quite as willing to bend over backwards as SmartPak. There's nothing worse than trying to deal with an entitled customer who thinks that you should take back her purchase from 2 years ago that is now completely used and worthless to your company, especially in smaller local retailers that can't just eat the cost of the loss.

    Nothing against SmartPak - I think it's amazing that their customer service department goes that extra mile, but when people start expecting those in the service and retail industry to always go to ridiculous extremes, it starts to get a bit out of control and ends up hurting your favourite local stores the most.

    Sorry, this might just be the retail-working-sociology-student in me coming out...it's all too fresh in my mind still!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    SP does say you can return even embriodered items. I have a fly sheet that I got my with initials on it to prevent it from disapearing...leased the horse so now its sitting in my tack box unused. I MAY use it again, but I wouldnt dream of sending it back because it has my initials on it.

    I supposed if you ordered a size 78 cooler with your name on it and they shipped an 82 that would be one thing...their mistake...or if the stitching was really bad. I TRY to make sure I know my sizes, etc before ordering stuff like that.
    I am with you. I would never think of returning something I had personalized just because I ordered the wrong size.


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. The "I love fall" thread!
    By fordtraktor in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Oct. 27, 2011, 01:01 PM
  2. Are the "Love" and "Laughter" Ponies related?
    By Janeway in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep. 20, 2011, 06:55 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul. 4, 2011, 10:01 PM
  4. Replies: 105
    Last Post: Dec. 21, 2009, 03:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •