The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Simon Eades

Simon is a British eventer and is really wonderful. There's not much info out there on him, and there should be.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ht=Simon+Eades
    Last edited by Dakotawyatt; Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: snarky people

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow, that is totally going above and beyond and in my world not something I would have ever asked them to do.

You bought second hand used breeches and returned them because they did not fit right....

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You bought second hand used breeches and returned them because they did not fit right....
    It takes all kinds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    So, I purchased second hand 2 pairs of Bradley breeches from a friend. They fit perfectly in the hips/waist but were WAY too tight in the leg, to the point that I was afraid I would bust a seam. They were gently used, and I thought *maybe* Smartpak would take them back and exchange them ... so I called them.

These breeches were purchased MONTHS ago by my friend, and Smartpak agreed to send me a return shipping label, and they would swap them out for the exact same breeches. Well, since they fit in the waist I didn't hold out any hope a bigger size would fit, but I was happy they were willing to do ANYTHING.

So, the breeches arrive in a timely manner, I eagerly try them on, and they do NOT fit at all. Yes, they fit perfectly in the leg, but they were so ridiculously huge in the waist/hips it looked like I was wearing a diaper. So, I called them again (did I mention how awesome it is to have a real live PERSON answer the phone every time I call??), and the sales person says I can return them yet AGAIN (on their dime again) for store credit. YAY! So I get my (this is a little sad) VERY FIRST EVER pair of Tailored Sportsman breeches (that fit perfectly btw) and a pair of Woof boots for the Pony. Again, these were shipped quickly and hassle free and now I have a beautiful pair of brand new breeches that fit perfectly, a new pair of boots that I needed, and Smartpak has another happy customer that will not hesitate to order from them whenever I need anything!! Love that company, THANK YOU for providing quality customer service. I hope y'all are in business for a good, long time.
    Sorry but, this story sounds like you totally abused of Smartpack's satisfaction guarantee policy.

Did you told them you had bought those breeches second hand?

I think Smartpack looks this forum from time to time. Hope they don't see this...

21 members found this post helpful.

I think that although this is an extremely unsual situation, it demonstrates that Smartpak is 100% prepared to stand behind their products. They really want to make people happy. It just make me love them even more.

I made the switch to Smartpak from other BTS "big tack shops" years ago because they are so good. I still work hard to support my local brick and mortar tack shops but find that SP keeps on getting better and better.

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Why didn't you send the 2nd hand pair to a consignment place & buy new ones in the correct size from smartpak or whoever else? I am confused by this and hope you told smartpak the breeches were gently used because I would not want to buy "new" breeches that weren't new!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

11 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I worked in retail in my younger days and usually the underlying principle behind any store's return policy is their ability to remarket the item - as I'm not sure that SmartPak would have any use for a used pair of breeches, they either

a) got snowed by you, and took the hit for it once they realized the breeches weren't "one try on and they didn't fit" type of used, but rather 2 people had already owned them

or

b) still weren't aware that they were used and re-sold them to someone unknowingly as new...

This reminds me of the current threads on buying and selling horses for more than they're worth/flipping horses and the ethical nature of it...you bought some smartpak breeches for a bargain, tricked SP into thinking they were a more "accomplished" pair of breeches than they actually were, and traded them in for a higher model (TS). Not saying that screwing people out of thousands is the same as exchanging breeches at SmartPak, but there are a lot of common themes on this board lately!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    I worked in retail in my younger days and usually the underlying principle behind any store's return policy is their ability to remarket the item - as I'm not sure that SmartPak would have any use for a used pair of breeches, they either

a) got snowed by you, and took the hit for it once they realized the breeches weren't "one try on and they didn't fit" type of used, but rather 2 people had already owned them

or

b) still weren't aware that they were used and re-sold them to someone unknowingly as new...
    SmartPak DOES accept used items (especially sized ones), so I don't think the OP's breeches will be sold to some unsuspecting buyer. (They recently took back an embroidered blanket from a friend that didn't fit correctly—it's not like they resell that.)

Buuuuuut... I do doubt that SmartPak knew that the OP was not the original purchaser of said breeches. I never would have dreamed of exchanging something I bought second hand. Not very classy.
    Last edited by Tha Ridge; Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

10 members found this post helpful.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    SmartPak DOES accept used items (especially sized ones), so I don't think the OP's breeches will be sold to some unsuspecting buyer. (They recently took back an embroidered blanket from a friend that didn't fit correctly—it's not like they resell that.)
    Oh, wow! That is some serious customer service...Hey SmartPak! You can start shipping to Canada any time now...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Buuuuuut... I do doubt that SmartPak knew that the OP was the original purchaser of said breeches. I never would have dreamed of exchanging something I bought second hand. Not very classy.
    Agree completely...this was a really crappy thing to do. And we wonder why so many companies have strict return policies. It's because people like the OP abuse the system.

SmartPak definitely is a class act in this case. They had absolutely no obligation to accept this return!

14 members found this post helpful.

Id be interested to know if they gave you full price credit for each pair...I had actually bought them back when they were on sale in March I think. Or, if they give some sort of pro-rated credit since they were used and you were not the original purchaser.

I know the biege ones had some staining when I sold them to you, around the leg where my boots rubbed, etc.

Sounds like you made out like a bandit if they gave you a full store credit for the actual retail price.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

9 members found this post helpful.

While I do think that is a bit over the top to ask them to do given the circumstances, the OP has given them way more bang for their advertising dollar with this post than they could have gotten with the actual cash. They aren't foolish.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    Oh, wow! That is some serious customer service...Hey SmartPak! You can start shipping to Canada any time now...
    Yes. They are seriously awesome—they even sent another friend the wrong show shirt (different color) by mistake. They sent the correct one promptly and let her keep the other one!

I just hope that people taking advantage of them doesn't force them to change their generous policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    While I do think that is a bit over the top to ask them to do given the circumstances, the OP has given them way more bang for their advertising dollar with this post than they could have gotten with the actual cash. They aren't foolish.
    Not always the case...since the original owner of the breeches and the one who sold them at a price that reflected the use they had seen to a friend also posts here and can see this...had I known sending back used items was an option I would have done it myself for the credit...my excuse was that I am pregnant and got fat, so they no longer fit me correctly so instead of them sitting in my closet I sold them at a well reduced price...had I known I could have called smartpak and said "Hey, Im pregnant so these no longer fit, will you take them back and give me full store credit for what I paid for them?" I would have...didnt even cross my mind.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Not always the case...since the original owner of the breeches and the one who sold them at a price that reflected the use they had seen to a friend also posts here and can see this...had I known sending back used items was an option I would have done it myself for the credit...my excuse was that I am pregnant and got fat, so they no longer fit me correctly so instead of them sitting in my closet I sold them at a well reduced price...had I known I could have called smartpak and said "Hey, Im pregnant so these no longer fit, will you take them back and give me full store credit for what I paid for them?" I would have...didnt even cross my mind.
    And would you have done it even if you knew they would?

I know I would not, since the not fitting was no fault of theirs and I had used them until they did not fit anymore.

I love it that they will do anything to make a customer happy. I do not love that people feel the need to take advantage of them. I sure hope people like the OP do not mess up a good thing for the rest of us.

12 members found this post helpful.

I know I would not, since the not fitting was no fault of theirs and I had used them until they did not fit anymore.

I love it that they will do anything to make a customer happy. I do not love that people feel the need to take advantage of them. I sure hope people like the OP do not mess up a good thing for the rest of us.
    I don't think that relocatedTXjumpr would have actually done that—I think she's just saying that she's a little sour that she sold these breeches to someone for probably less than she paid and then the buyer of the breeches ends up making a profit. And understandably so. It's just a terribly rude thing to do on all accounts.

6 members found this post helpful.

Nope...wouldnt have done it...it just seems sneaky to me.

I am suprised they took them, I really am.

When you inquire about returning an item they pull up your account history to see when you actually bought something...this is how they determine if you get your money back or store credit or to see if you got any discounts, etc...so, since the OP didnt buy them, they wouldnt have been on her purchase history, at all...so, 1 of 4 things happened...1) they gave her the full price as it currently is on their website per breech (1 was knee patch and 1 was FS) 2) they accessed MY account to see when I bought them and that I had gotten them at a sale price plus my 5% AQHA discount AND 10% discount for being on auto ship smartpaks and credited her THAT amount per breech (still a lot more than I sold them to her for)...3) they discounted them on their own a set amount based on the fact she bought them second hand (which seems unlikely since they were willing to exchange them for the exact same pair with no additional $$ exchanged since she didnt orginally buy them) OR 4) she told them they were a gift to her and they gave her full retail store credit..

They could have said they would exchange them for say $50 a pair (STILL more than I sold them for) and you pay the additional $50 a pair to make up the difference, etc or something like that...but it doesnt sound like thats the case since the cheapest pair of TS on their site is $150 and the cheapest pair of Woof boots is $40 a pair...so, at about $190 (assuming she got the cheapest pair of TS and boots) for the two things, it sounds like they accessed MY account, W/O my permission, to see what I paid and used that as the guilde to go buy. Of course, she could have gotten the $200 TS and the $70 boots and that would be close to the full retail price without the discounts I got...Who knows.

Either way, she made out like a bandit.
    Last edited by relocatedTXjumpr; Nov. 29, 2012 at 04:37 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh soy our the original owner? I would be royally pissed, tbh.

EDIT: No autocorrect, so and soy are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Oh soy our the original owner? I would be royally pissed, tbh.

EDIT: No autocorrect, so and soy are not the same thing.
    Yes, I am. I orginally bought them in April of this year and I think I sold them to her in September.

I would say that this person owes you A. An apology and B. new breeches.