The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else have a fetching cat?

I do.

She doesn't fetch frequently, but when she does it is always self initiated. And it's been completely natural for you. She was never formally taught and her only reward for it is my nerdy verbal praise. I love it! Nothing compared to a dog fetching because 1. we can do it indoors and 2. your dog can't cross the room and jump the couch in 2 or 3 strides. Evidentally, cats of Oriental decent, which she appears to be, have a knack for fetching. Wonder why...

While we're on the note of freakishly intelligent/interesting cat behavior, anyone have any tips for teaching Miss Smartypants to stop walking near/on the stove? She only does it when the stove is off (so far. eek.) and yelling at her and spraying her with water has not deterred her. Will we have to revert to the crazy electric shock pads?

Yep. Young Esther Williams (who was fascinated with the aquarium). Picked her up as a stray kitten at a barn who climbed my leg up into my arms everytime I went. Would fetch all day long. Only cat I ever knew who showed any inclination at all to do that. A mark of extreme intelligence and engagement I would speculate...

Mine does! Her favorite toy is bottle caps, she'll fetch them than drop them in your hand to throw again. She also knows a handful of tricks (sit, down, shake, spin, etc.) and loves to play chase.

For the stove walking, either let her walk on it when its on (she'll be out of there way before she burns herself, but it will hurt!) Or set up a booby trap by leaning a cookie sheet on some pans so that when she walks across, pans and cookie pan go crashing down around her. Both options will at least temporarily make her scared of the stove.

She appears to know when it's on. She never goes near when there's a flame. She also seems to be able to tell when something is very hot. It's not like she tries to get into the pots and such. But boy, does she like to sample whatever's on the spoons that are sitting by the burners. She hasn't burned herself yet and doesn't seem inclined to... but since we can't be sure/don't want her sampling random food we want her to stop.

I used to. Her favorite fetch time was about one hour before my alarm went off - and she would not be ignored!

1 members found this post helpful.

My old guy used to fetch those little stuffed catnip mice! He would bring me one in his mouth like a dog, meowing at me with the toy still in his mouth (hilarious in itself). He doesn't do it anymore but it was too cute!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

My senior fetched toys when she was young. My Yashi (~18 months) fetches anytime, anything, for any reason. His new buddy, Ferdinand, is utterly bumfuzzled by the idea. Silly critters!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

My (suspected) Ragdoll fetches crumpled up paper balls!! They are his favorite, but I have to hide ANY AND ALL papers that I don't want gnawed up by tiny kitty teeth!

I used to have a big orange kitty (Yasgur) who would play fetch with himself, compulsively, up and down the stairs for hours. He particularly liked the dense pom-pom type balls, and he would take one to the top of the basement stairs, drop it, bat it down the steps, charge down after it with a sound like a herd of thundering elephants, pick up up, carry it to the top of the stairs, and repeat the cycle. Over and over.

Sometimes he'd play fetch with people, too, but his solo marathon stair-fetching sessions were very frequent.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Used to. Timmy was my fetching cat, but he passed away many years ago at the age of sixteen. I miss him still - he also used to put a dent in the space-time continuum when he curled on your lap. There was no getting up once he was there.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Not fetch but small toys would end up where they didn't belong. Was getting after the kid for not putting toys away when one day I saw the cat carrying the toy in her mouth. For some reason, dropping them near the refrigerator then batting them underneath it seemed to be the fave.....

You might try putting something on the spoons that won't hurt the cat but that it won't like. Right now the cat is getting positive reinforcement for trolling the stove.

We have one. Hobbes is our first "fetching cat", he's nearly 2 years old now and is one of the litter we bottle raised. He'll fetch any little toy but his favorites are those little catnip mice. My rooms in the house are upstairs, the boyfriend keeps toys in a jar for Hobbes and from the futon will throw them down the stairs into the kitchen. This cat will leap over whatever is on the side-table, rush down the stairs and bring the toy back up to return it. He always gives it back and waits for you to throw it again.

He's an awesome cat and extremely smart. He's a DSH orange tabby. He comes to "his name", (which he thinks is "Bitties" because when I was feeding them as kittens I'd bring the milk replacer in the bathroom and say "Itty Bitties" before I let them out of the carrier and fed them). So funny, his brother is a very nice cat but much more of a lazy fat boy, very sweet but I don't think has the IQ of "Bitties".
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

My Loki-cat would fetch pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters. Once a 1/2 dollar, but I think that was a bit much for him. He would steal socks, gloves, stuffed animals, etc.

Sadly, he died of a heart attack right in front of me, the end of September.

He was 15.

Condolences, nasalberry.

My older fuzzy slug only fetches certain things. She adores nail files and even tries to chew on it while I'm attempting to file my own nails. If I toss those, she'll always fetch them. She'll also fetch if I throw her maribou puffy toy.

The little man will play fetch with anything that he usually plays with -- toys, pull tops from milk cartons, shoe laces, but he's a total magpie for Q-tips and will trashcan dive for them. The quickest way to get his attention/have him come when called is to wiggle a Q-tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    Used to. Timmy was my fetching cat, but he passed away many years ago at the age of sixteen. I miss him still - he also used to put a dent in the space-time continuum when he curled on your lap. There was no getting up once he was there.
    Like this?
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

So sorry for you nasalberry...

Our orange cat also has a fondness for Q-Tips. He will frequently knock the trash over to add to the stash that he has 'buried' in where we hang the extra plastic shopping bags. He wiggles into the holder to hide his treasures at the bottom. It's grossly hilarious. The only thing that he fetches, however, are little dead rodents on his trips out into the 'wild'. Yuck.

Our calico can't really be bothered with physical activity past beating the crap out of the dog. It might mess up her fur.

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    Condolences, nasalberry.

My older fuzzy slug only fetches certain things. She adores nail files and even tries to chew on it while I'm attempting to file my own nails. If I toss those, she'll always fetch them. She'll also fetch if I throw her maribou puffy toy.

The little man will play fetch with anything that he usually plays with -- toys, pull tops from milk cartons, shoe laces, but he's a total magpie for Q-tips and will trashcan dive for them. The quickest way to get his attention/have him come when called is to wiggle a Q-tip.

My sister's cat is a Q-tip fiend. We have to put them in a plastic bag under the sink now because not only would she creep into the trash can for them, she would suck the cotton off them. LOL We'd find halves of Q-tips everywhere.

Oh yes! My 5 month old Siamese boy just started. I was on the couch watching the morning news last week and he brought me "mousey", dropped it in front of me, batted it once and looked up at me.

I threw it. He went after it and brought it back. Rinse. Repeat. FOR EVER.

Love my little Siamese trouble maker.

Quote Originally Posted by alternate_universe View Post
    My sister's cat is a Q-tip fiend. We have to put them in a plastic bag under the sink now because not only would she creep into the trash can for them, she would suck the cotton off them. LOL We'd find halves of Q-tips everywhere.

Heaven forbid if he's in the bathroom with me after I've showered and I'm cleaning out my ears. The begging look on his face while he stares intently makes me laugh at him every time.

My friend's cat is dumber than a box of rocks. You can fake him out by making a fist like you were wadding up a piece of paper, wave your hand around, then fling the imaginary ball of paper. He chases said imaginary thing to wherever he thinks it landed, then when he can't find it, sits and mewls. He also falls asleep on the edge of tables/desks and then promptly falls off. Every. Time. He's his own unique form of special.

Quote Originally Posted by Daatje View Post
    Oh yes! My 5 month old Siamese boy just started. I was on the couch watching the morning news last week and he brought me "mousey", dropped it in front of me, batted it once and looked up at me.

I threw it. He went after it and brought it back. Rinse. Repeat. FOR EVER.

Love my little Siamese trouble maker.
    You're in for it now, Daatje. Just wait for when he drops the toy on your face at 4am while you're asleep.