The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Improving the loin connection

Can anyone name a few Hano approved stallions standing in Europe who reliably improve on the loin connection and (preferably) hind leg?

Thanks in advance

You may get some feedback if you clarify what you mean by "improve hind leg". What aspect do you mean? Conformation? Power? Quickness? Activity? Ability to take weight?

And are you looking for a dressage type stallion, a jumper type stallion, or an all-rounder?

I was looking for a mainly dressage type stallion (but if dual purpose, that would be even better) than will definitely improve the loin connection and increase the hind leg's ability to take weight.

Not any mare in particular, just have seen quite a lot of mares who need a stallion who can improve on these two parameters and was wondering if there was any who would reliably correct them.

I have yet to see a Weltmeyer with a bad loin or hind leg.

I have yet to see a Weltmeyer with a bad loin or hind leg
    Hind leg, I agree. He gives power. But I wouldn't say he improves on the loin...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Hind leg, I agree. He gives power. But I wouldn't say he improves on the loin...
    Me either. I have a filly this year by Blue Hors Romanov who has a super hip and hind leg. The dam has a good loin, but Romanov dramatically improved the hind leg.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I would choose Diamond Hit based on what he has produced for me. I will be using him again this spring.

Does anyone have experience with Furst Grandios? Love his confo pic but have no idea of what he throws.

What do you mean improve the loin connection? Is you mare weak or too high in the loin? They can be too short and stiff and they can be too long and weak.

Is you mare weak or too high in the loin? They can be too short and stiff and they can be too long and weak.
    I'm not referring to my mare specifically, its just I've been seeing a lot of mares with this issue and have been thinking (hypothetically) what stallions can be used to correct it. I'm referring to long and weak, as that's what I've been seeing the most.

I was looking for a mainly dressage type stallion (but if dual purpose, that would be even better) than will definitely improve the loin connection and increase the hind leg's ability to take weight.

Not any mare in particular, just have seen quite a lot of mares who need a stallion who can improve on these two parameters and was wondering if there was any who would reliably correct them.
    Escudo I

He improved that in my mare and in others that looked at with him. I would consider him dual purpose as well.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I'm not referring to my mare specifically, its just I've been seeing a lot of mares with this issue and have been thinking (hypothetically) what stallions can be used to correct it. I'm referring to long and weak, as that's what I've been seeing the most.
    The KWPN publishes the linear scoring on stallions that include the back and loin shape. So, one end of the scale is weak sagging loin and the other end is what we call roach backed or too high in the loin. I find this useful. Plus they recommend which type of mare fits a certain stallioin. For instance one their top dressage stallions IS weak in the loin so they only recommend mares that are strong there for him. You can get all this off their site.

Guess the ones I've seen came from mares with good loins.

The KWPN publishes the linear scoring on stallions that include the back and loin shape.
    Wow that's a great resource. Where can I find it?

Wow that's a great resource. Where can I find it?
    KWPN web site, http://www.kwpn.nl/