The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The best gloves, hands down, that I've ever used were ones that I bought at Rolex many years ago.
    They were made out of this ethiopian hair sheep leather and were insulated. The leather is indestructible. They have lasted longer than any other gloves I've ever had. I would give my eye teeth to have another pair because after many years of winter riding 5 days/week they are showing some wear.
    I would be forever grateful if someone knew who sold these/what brand they were. I also had a pair of the summer ones that I lost :sob: and they were equally excellent.
    The SSG ones do not cut it in my climate.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I just got the SSG Winter Rancher glove. Granted I do not live in nearly as cold a climate as some of you, but it was cold enough during a early evening ride last week for me to realize summer gloves were not going to cut it if I wanted to feel my hands. I was worried the Rancher wouldn't allow for enough movement to ride, but it actually has done pretty well so far. I tried on every pair of winter glove in Dover and thought that one fit the bill for what I was looking for best. I hate the "woolen" style glove, if that makes sense, so that narrowed it down a bit.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

SSG 10 below for sure!! Love them!

TheJenners - haha 40 degrees with wind, I so would have agreed with you had I not lived in the Midwest and East Coast for several years. I don't think anything we experience here in the PNW can even be compared to a cold day out there.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Donkaloosa View Post
    Easy to get and inexpensive, I've always found that Isotoners gloves were great in the winter. They have leather patches, my hands don't slip, easy to wash, and have only a thin knit lining. Kept my hands warm and weren't bulky.
    I agree! I think they are a nice balance of warmth without the bulk. I have shown in mine, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Anyone tried the Roeckl Winter Chester gloves? http://www.smartpakequine.com/roeckl...ove-5988p.aspx

My Roeckl Chesters are my all-time favorite gloves, so I'd love it if I could have a basically identical pair for winter.
    They're nice for showing or for lessons when you really need to have good feel of the reins, but they're too thin for the really, really gold days. Nice enough for above 20F though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Wind or no wind, 40F is still warm. It's long sleeve shirt and vest weather! I don't wear that many layers until it's closer to 20F.
    My coldness at 40F is probably close to 25-30F for everyone else, hence the layers. I get COLD! And a biting wind off the water is killer.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Another vote for the SSG Training gloves. They are so warm! There was one day this past Jan where I wore them and I was so warm that I took of one of my layers and didn't realize until after I got off that it was -12 degrees F!
    -JustWorld International-

Easy to get and inexpensive, I've always found that Isotoners gloves were great in the winter. They have leather patches, my hands don't slip, easy to wash, and have only a thin knit lining. Kept my hands warm and weren't bulky.
    I always used to hate when my mom gave me these as a kid b/c I wanted RIDING gloves, not something she bought at G Fox (defunct dept store)! Now I wouldn't mind so much.

I love the Mountain Horse Thinsulate gloves! Have used them for several years. Sometimes my hands even get too warm when I am riding. I like that not only can I ride (with a stick or multiple reins), but I tack up & do barn chorse in them as well. Usually I can find them on sale so I buy a few at a time & 1 pair generally lasts me a winter.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/mountai...goc055bdeizy55
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Costco has some nice gloves. They seem warm and have grippes.

PSA: Dover has a sale on the SSG 10 Belows today only... $17. http://www.doversaddlery.com/12days%...mas/c/12days1/

Also the crochet back SSGs and the all-weathers. I might have to get another pair of the crochet back, those are my faves.

I just ordered the 10 Belows from Dover (aak it kills me to pay those shipping charges!)

Just found out SSG also now makes a ceramic glove liner like the Back on Track for $16. I'm going to be trying those out with the SSG 10 Belows for this winter. I'm also trying out the Futis to see if that helps with my cold feet.

I like the Ariat Tek Grip winter glove. They do get a bit cold when the temps drop into the teens but since I work before I ride they warm up quickly. I can actually work the girth and noseband in them and they are pretty warm. I also do barn chores before I ride so they are durable, but not waterproof. Mine last me 3 or so winters before I wear holes in the fingers and have to replace them.

Silk glove liners will make any glove warmer without bulk.