The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's that time of year...winter gloves

Does anybody have a suggestion for a good pair of winter riding gloves? I ride in an unheated indoor and it's cold up here! If the gloves I am wearing keep my hands warm enough, I feel like I can't really hold the reins properly and I don't have the same feel of my horse's mouth. If I wear gloves where I feel like I have some feeling and connection with my horse, my fingers freeze. Has anyone found a pair that keep you warm but don't feel like you're riding in fuzzy mittens? Thanks!

When it's really cold I just deal and ride in the big fat Mountain Horse riding mittens. They're super warm and even though they don't give the best feel, it is better than numb fingers! When it's warmer (like >25, haha) these are ok. Ariat Winter gloves
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I like SSG 10 Below or Heritage's equivalent. Thin enough to ride in, but plenty warm. I drove carriages in them too

Second that on SSG 10 Belows - they are GREAT. Warm, cut the wind, and still give you a feel of the reins.

I'm up north too in SW Ontario, where it gets damp and cold. I also recommend the SSG 10 Below gloves - I rode outside with them in -20 degrees Celsius a couple winters ago and stayed warm. They are too warm if you try to ride with them too soon!
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Another vote for the SSG gloves. I've got a couple of their winter pairs from over the years. Right now I'm using the SSG Pro Show Winter Riding 4300 or the SSG Winter Training 6000. I can't tell which from the website, but my current ones are the best I've ever had.

Another vote for SSG 10 Belows.

Another good type that is slightly less glove bit still quite warm are the SSG Windstoppers. Perhaps if the 10 Belows still feel too thick you could try the Windstoppers and maybe add a silk liner.

I ride in the roeckel (sp) polartec fleece ones. They are perfect for riding in the winter.

I hate thick gloves and jackets. Well, anything on my arms... But I've found that if my torso and head is warm, I'm warm, and it's all about smart layering. It was, ermmm, 40F with a wicked wind today, and I was very comfortable. Gloves are plain leather palm/knit back gloves. Not sure what the wind was, but Rory actually does have a tail and the gusts were even stronger. I had on a tank top tucked into my jeans for drafts, a waffle weave long-sleeve shirt, hoodie and Carhartt vest. Worked up a sweat, actually.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I finally bought the SSG winter training gloves last year and really like them. They're not exactly thin, but they're much more flexible than any of the other thicker gloves out there that I've tried. I use them when it's really really cold.

I also have the SSG silk-lined soft touch gloves and I use them down to mid/high twenties or so. They're really thin and comfortable, but decently warm, just not up to really freezing temps. They're also starting to wear a lot where the reins rub--I've had them for two winters already though.

2 members found this post helpful.

Rode yesterday at -13°C (0°F) and the SSG winter training gloves didn't quite cut it (even with the "hot hands" I'd pre-warmed the toes of my Mountain Horse Rimfrost riders with stuck in the palms of my hands). Going to need to get something warmer. Can someone give me the link for the Mountain Horse Riding Mittens (google search isn't turning anything up). I want to compare them to the SSG Winter mittens. Has anyone who's tried the SSG 10 below also tried the SSG winter mittens -- how does the insulation compare?

Thanks, and to all those riding in frosty climates -- keep warm and have some hot cider when you get home!
    Last edited by NorthwoodsRider; Nov. 29, 2012 at 09:59 AM.

Practice and show in the SSG 10 belows. I use a black Sharpie pen on all the gloves to color out the obnoxious white logos

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    I use a black Sharpie pen on all the gloves to color out the obnoxious white logos
    Excellent idea!!

Also, I ride in a base layer of Under Armor, a thermal top, a wool sweater, a soft shell jacket and a down vest. On bottom I'll wear Under Armor, my TuffRider ribbed breeches that do a pretty good job of wind blocking and if its REALLY cold, I'll wear snow pants (I find Target's mens ones do just fine - they apparently don't sell women's....). On my head I wear an Under Armor liner and then a wool beanie.

I just wear normal tall boots and Smart Wool snowboarding socks on my feet.

If you keep your core warm, your extremities will stay considerably warmer.

@ 0F I ride with ski gloves I have a pair from EMS that are toasty & hold up well to barn chores. Not too $$ either, so I don't feel bad about getting them dirty. But @ 0F I generally am holding a leadrope going for a bareback ride, atop my horses blanket Too wimpy!

Otherwise its some SSG type, which are very warm & I even get 2 winters out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I hate thick gloves and jackets. Well, anything on my arms... But I've found that if my torso and head is warm, I'm warm, and it's all about smart layering. It was, ermmm, 40F with a wicked wind today, and I was very comfortable. Gloves are plain leather palm/knit back gloves. Not sure what the wind was, but Rory actually does have a tail and the gusts were even stronger. I had on a tank top tucked into my jeans for drafts, a waffle weave long-sleeve shirt, hoodie and Carhartt vest. Worked up a sweat, actually.
    Wind or no wind, 40F is still warm. It's long sleeve shirt and vest weather! I don't wear that many layers until it's closer to 20F.

2 members found this post helpful.

Another vote for the SSG Winter Training Glove - I've ridden in them in about 45 degree weather and ended up with sweaty hands! Seem to be relatively durable and thin enough that I can polos and girths with them. The only downside I've found is the fabric portions can get caught on velcro and I imagine doing that enough will tear them.

Easy to get and inexpensive, I've always found that Isotoners gloves were great in the winter. They have leather patches, my hands don't slip, easy to wash, and have only a thin knit lining. Kept my hands warm and weren't bulky.

Anyone tried the Roeckl Winter Chester gloves? http://www.smartpakequine.com/roeckl...ove-5988p.aspx

My Roeckl Chesters are my all-time favorite gloves, so I'd love it if I could have a basically identical pair for winter.

I wore SSG Mane Event gloves my last winter in Iowa (which was a cold one!) and my hands used to sweat in those suckers they got so warm. My only disappointment is that they did not hold up as well as I would have liked and I only got one winter out of them. Has anyone tried the ceramic glove liners? I am interested in how well those work.