The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Retirement Farms for ex grand prix horse

Unfortunately my jumper has a hind suspensory injury and due to his age and type of injury, hes going to need to retire (may have a year off then try to come back but not guaranteed). Anyways, I am looking for a GREAT retirement facility. This horse LOVES to be treated like a show horse and works best in an individualized environment. Must have a stall as well as turn out. Must have someone who lives on property (he has spouts of colic now and then and needs to watched). I am looking for somewhere where he will be treated like the "important" show horse that he was. I dont have a TUN to spend each month on board or I would keep him at my show barn. He does have special instructions (cant be fly sprayed EVER, NO clippers, can not be man handled!!). I understand he needs to learn to live like a "horse" and learn to be out when there are bugs ect... but quality of care is VERY important to me! If anyone knows of somewhere please PM me
    Thank you!
    He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

Try www.retiredhorses.com. That's the farm in TN run by COTHer OnTheBit, and she has a lot of retired show horses there.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

1 members found this post helpful.

Where abouts are you looking for?

I am outside atlanta, but I know theres not much around here. So somewhere in the southeast(ish?)
    He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

Default How about Ocala Florida??

I now an excellant place in Ocala , she and her husband live on the farm and we lease from them when we show Ocala Great people, husband is a blacksmith too. PM if you want to know more

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

There is a good one in Camden SC
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I have my retired show horse in Ballground with a Swiss lady who adores him. She fawns over him and he eats it up. I couldn't ask for better care.

I highly recommend KC Hunter (nee Steige; Amanda Steige's sister). She owns Bayfield Farm in Williston (bayfieldfarm.net) and offers everything you're looking for. However, I don't know what you're looking to spend as I know she's a bit pricier than most true retirement farms; last I heard she was in the $600-$700 range. However, you might have trouble finding someplace for "cheap" (of course, it depends on your definition of cheap!) with everything you're looking for. I offer retirement boarding, but I only stall the horses in very bad weather or extreme cold (I'm also in FL); it would cost me more time and money than it's worth to bring a retiree in and out every day! This is the case with most places that offer stalls, so you may want to take this into consideration when you start talking to different farms!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.