The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hay shortage

Are other areas other than western NY experiencing a severe hay shortage? Just curious where there may be hay available when I run out.

I can't help with the hay, but I wanted to say "Hi!." Haven't seen you around in ages.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Its not critical here yet but hay is in short supply in our area due to TOO much rain. Farmers couldnt get it baled without it getting rained on I have a feeling though that things are going to be tough this winter for those here who havent already secured their hay for the winter.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I can't help with the hay, but I wanted to say "Hi!." Haven't seen you around in ages.

Hi! I'm not on COTH much anymore but good to 'see' old friends.

hay is triple the price in NC because of the drought everywhere. Very scary.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Too far from you, but hay is plentiful on the PNW- lots of "local" and export quality hay to choose from. I wish we could easily get it to drought stricken areas.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

we have been buying hay from the west coast for about five years; drought and farmers having natural gas wells put into hay fields pretty drove the hay production out

Most of us with horses in the area just started buying from the west coast and gave up on the local production ....mainly because the consistency varied greatly with the local production

Hay shortage down here in Louisiana this year too. I'm not crazy about the quality of the local hay I've seen so have been getting better quality Bahia mix from Texas. Unbelievable what the prices are getting to - I saw an advertisement at the local feed store for bales of unspecified type "Grass Hay" for $12/bale!!!

Part of the cause of our hay shortage is the longer term hay shortage elsewhere so lots of NY hay is shipped out of state.

I'm in central Ohio. Hay is not exactly short, but has 3x the price since spring. Partly the draught in our area and partly that much spring hay has left the state for other draught striken areas. Fortunately I still have green pasture---partly due to good pasture management and partly due to the week of rain that Sandy brought us.

Oddly enough, here in our area of VA hay prices are exactly the same as last year (except for a few minor fluctuations due to gas prices), & we've had no problems with shortages, etc. Go figure.