The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HELP!!! 1987 Brenderup Trailer - Question re: repairs

Hello!

I have a 1987 Brenderup Prestige 2-horse trailer that I bought several years ago but only used a few times. Unfortunately, it has been sitting outside for a long time and is now in need of some pretty serious repair.

The wood side panels really took the brunt of the neglect. The wood is completely rotten all around...just pushing hard on it causes it to cave in and makes a hole.

I want to make the trailer serviceable again, but am not sure where to begin. I was considering getting new wood so I could fix it myself, but that seems a wee bit over my head

I have an appointment with a trailer repair place tomorrow to get an estimate on repair, but I'm worried they've never seen a brenderup before and won't know what to do...or that the repair costs will be astronomical.

For all you Brenderup peeps out there, especially those with older models, do you have any tips or ideas on how I should move forward?

If it cost prohibitive to repair, do you think it would be possible to donate to a horse rescue or the like (hoping they could get a better price on repair, or find some other miscellaneous use for it like practicing loading babies, or for storage)?

Any/all thoughts are appreciated!!! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by infiniti898 View Post
    Hello!

I have a 1987 Brenderup Prestige 2-horse trailer that I bought several years ago but only used a few times. Unfortunately, it has been sitting outside for a long time and is now in need of some pretty serious repair.

The wood side panels really took the brunt of the neglect. The wood is completely rotten all around...just pushing hard on it causes it to cave in and makes a hole.

I want to make the trailer serviceable again, but am not sure where to begin. I was considering getting new wood so I could fix it myself, but that seems a wee bit over my head

I have an appointment with a trailer repair place tomorrow to get an estimate on repair, but I'm worried they've never seen a brenderup before and won't know what to do...or that the repair costs will be astronomical.

For all you Brenderup peeps out there, especially those with older models, do you have any tips or ideas on how I should move forward?

If it cost prohibitive to repair, do you think it would be possible to donate to a horse rescue or the like (hoping they could get a better price on repair, or find some other miscellaneous use for it like practicing loading babies, or for storage)?

Any/all thoughts are appreciated!!! Thanks
    Where are you located? I know there is a former Brenderup dealer in central NH, I'm pretty sure they could help with repairs.

1 members found this post helpful.

Breathe, and stop getting ahead of yourself and get a quote from your trailer place. The wood walls are not hard to repair. You just swap out the panel with another sheet of equal-density pressure treated wood, preferably with mold inhibition properties (that's why the old Brenderup panels were red--it's a mold inhibitor) and rivet it back on with perfectly normal rivets that any trailer repair joint will have, and voila. For a trailer repair place's purposes, it's no different than repairing any other steel-frame trailer held together with rivets. Yes, I speak from experience having had to do a wood panel repair on a '97 Prestige III. I just had a regular ol' horse trailer repair place do it. That was when I still lived in Michigan, but there are several trailer repair places here in Columbus that would probably be competent to do it.

Now if the floor is in bad shape and needs replacement? That's another ball of wax. Search the forums for "Brenderup floor" to read about your options there.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    Where are you located? I know there is a former Brenderup dealer in central NH, I'm pretty sure they could help with repairs.
    I'm in Columbus, OH, so New Hampshire is a bit far..but I will keep that option in mind. Thanks!

Traveled Lane Trailers in MD services Brennderup

You need to check the floor ASAP. Use a screwdriver. The screwdriver should not sink in at all. Especially check the back, by the walls. The old B'ups floors didn't have drainage holes. I'll bet money that your screwdriver goes all the way in.

Hope this helped and good luck. PM me if you need more help. And alpaca/llama breeders could be a potential resource for selling it, once you get it minimally repaired. They don't always want to buy a big truck to pull a heavy trailer.

I have a '91 Prestige and the doors don't perfectly fit in their frames anymore although there's no rot... I'm very interested in what your trailer guy says about it. I'd like to have my front panels replaced and the escape doors redone at some point if there's a good substitute for the materials. Actually, I would LOVE it if I could have ALL the panels replaced with a good substitute for the composite material the newer b'rups have (like the factory used to do for older b'rups) but that's probably not realistic. It's something to think about though if your guy can't come up with anything similar to what's in there now - point out that the newer ones are made with a different material which is resistant to rot and staining.
    Last edited by bauhaus; Dec. 1, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Hmm, I sold a 1987 Brenderup to some people in Columbus a few years ago... I loved that trailer and would take it off your hands and repair it! I sold it because I had a 17hh TB, and now I only have a 13.3 Fjord! As far as the floor, it was newly replaced before I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by gemcitydressage View Post
    Hmm, I sold a 1987 Brenderup to some people in Columbus a few years ago... I loved that trailer and would take it off your hands and repair it! I sold it because I had a 17hh TB, and now I only have a 13.3 Fjord! As far as the floor, it was newly replaced before I sold it.
    sent you a PM