The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OTTB Pedigree - future eventing star?!

I recently purchased an OTTB and am wondering what you experts might think of his breeding for being a successful eventer? So far so good with his retraining except for a tongue over the bit habit!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

He'll have a better chance if you can keep him sound. IMO, the Siberian Express/In Excess line has not proved sound in racing in GENERAL.

But racing is exceptionally hard on horses, so you might be fine--or you might not.

He's got some very nice lines in the back.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

California, USA

Do you know why he had so much time off between some races? he had 4 months between race 2 and 4 3 (not that bad), but then he had a year and a half between races 8 and 9. That might point to an injury or soundness issues, so I would check that out (contact the trainer/owner, did you have a ppe and did the vet find anything, etc)
    Lots of things you could do with a stopwatch...

We were told he was sold and moved and in doing so missed the season.
    They said he never had any injuries and he had a ppe with clean xrays of feet ankles hocks and stifles. He's only getting better- learning the basics and going on trail rides. So far so good!

In Excess is not one of my favorite sires to see up close, as Viney mentioned. If you can keep this one sound that is good, but I have seen lots of broken In Excess get.

Maybe your horse has something going for him, in that he does have some promising lines a little further back on his dam-side. Bold Ruler I've come to identify as a very potent sire in that his close get seem to be precocious both in personality and soundness. I love Nodouble - more specifically, I like Noholme - lots of NZ bred TBs by him that are just stunning big bodied and hardy animals. The Hoist The Flag line is known for game eventers, probably mostly thru Tom Rolfe & Pocahontas.

I always wish I saw more Sing Sing in pedigrees. One of the most catty horses I ever had was a Sing Sing grand get. By that time his influence is nominal, but I have noticed other Sing Sing horses who had his type of body and jump. Sing Sing has a fantastic pedigree for sport, including Son-In-Law who was by Bay Ronald, a very influential TB sire in sport disciplines. Unfortunately in your horse's case, you are seeing Sing Sing through In Excess.

Iron Ruler is one I have taken note of as of late, as he has several grandget doing well in eventing.
    Forward is Good.. Progress is Better