The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Red face Conformation Critique..hone your eye See #59 for jump

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer II.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	37235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer II.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	37235

OK first this is not an Add nor is it linked to any Add site....

3yr 16H ...have at it....later I will upload pictures of him @ trot....
    Last edited by judybigredpony; Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll bite as an academic exercise only, not weighing in on potential usefulness, etc.

From this pose, horse looks built a little downhill. Hocks look too straight (post legged), that's the most pronounced thing I see but it is just one view. Front limbs look clean and straight (a good thing here as we know). Length of back may be long end of average but okay, withers good, shoulders may be a touch upright. Hard to tell if neck is slightly ewe-ish or if it is more the way he is holding it, though I suspect it is just the latter. Nice haunches, a little sloping but still nice, seems to have a kind eye from what we can see. Nice pasterns. An overall look of quality. ETA neck is a little short esp. By today's standards but that is not something I personally get up in arms over.
    Last edited by Rallycairn; Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

My only quibble would be the neck, would like to see a slightly shorter lower curve and a longer upper curve, a bit more length -- but at three, he's probably got a bit of growing to do (there are some baby-ish aspects to his conformation) and as he levels out, that might resolve. Love the deep body, love the hindquarters and shoulder.

For a three year old...very nice. I like his length of back. He does look like he has a bit of growing still. Neck could be better but not bad. I think it comes out of his shoulder well. Only negative that I really see....is he is red
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Like his balance and overall proportions. Lovely shoulder, solid front legs. I don't love his neck, but it ties on well and will improve drastically with correct work.

Actually, I disagree with other posters~ my least favorite part about him is his hind end- he is goose rumped, post legged, with a long, weak loin, and overall it seems weak/small compared to his front end.

But can he move/jump? That beats a conformation shot ANY day of the week!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Those front legs are standing out at me, although I agree with the straight hocks comments. He is slightly back at the knee which is something I personally dislike in a horse that is aimed at an athletic career.
    I would also personally like a longer, more well set neck.

Default More View To Consider

Name:	Homer stands left.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	37242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer Trots.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	37243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer Trots 3.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	37244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer Walks.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	37245

What is this horse's breeding? Quarter horse? He has a nicely shaped hind end. He looks a little downhill, but he's only 3 so he's likely to grow out of this. The front end is less impressive, in my opinion. I prefer a more sloping shoulder for a wider range of motion and a longer, more high-set neck with the bottom line being longer than the top line. His legs are what I would pay attention to most, due to leg conformation being absolutely important for long term soundness. This horse looks sickle hocked, though I'd like to see an image with his "straight" hind leg on the near side. He also looks slightly back at the knee.

HorsePlayy I can assure he is not a QT nor is he umm sickle hocked because you can't have a straight hock and a sickle hock...nor is he what you may describe as cow hocked..he does have a leg on each corner..BFNE and Baxstersmom you are both on the right path...and as to back of the knees...closer examionation will reveal huge bone big knees and he is not back @ the knee..although he has Very well developed forearms that can create an optical illusion..and it would help if he stood up perfectly..but look at the long stride and suspension....

For some reason, I cannot see the photos? This has been happening to me alot lately. There is a square with the jpg. inside. When I click on the empty square, it goes to a site that still does not give me a photo. Is anyone else having this difficulty?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I am. But I am at work and work blocks a lot of things and has an ancient version of IE so I just assumed it was that and not COTH

Looks like a modern TB with short distance blood. I think he's going to be quite handsom.

I don't see anything wrong with his neck. In the first photo I think the set up had his head slightly turned away from the camera making it look shorter. Is it undeveloped and lacking a topline? Well yeah, show me a TB at this age that isn't! Drives me crazy when people expect young TB to NOT look like young TBs.

He's straight through the hocks (that was the first thing I noticed), but I like how low his stifle joint is and the triangle with those backend points. Doesn't look weak at all back there to me. I bet he'll jump, and it doesn't surprise me he's got suspenion and step.

I like his front end in the second set better than the first--better shoulder and pastern angles. Agree about those big solid joints. At 3 I bet he's got at least a couple more inches and I see them lifting his front end and popping those withers. He's going to be nice.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default SUBK Winner..

Name:	Homer Jumps.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	37247

1st time straight off track......yup a TB G unraced dead slow..out of an A.P. Indy stallion by an Arch mare.....

I'm not brave enough to actually post critiques, but I'm quite thrilled that I (in my head) critiqued/complimented the same things said by other posters! The comments I disagreed with were quickly shut down by others. I even noticed things that I thought would improve with age.

No point to this post, just quite happy that I'm developing an eye for conformation Thanks JBRP for this thread, very educational.

I have enough to get a series going..stay tuned..and keep up the observations..pictures don't always tell the full story, I always believe in function over form....pictures are only part of the story....

umm, didn't know you were looking for breed -- isn't this pretty classically a TB?
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    For some reason, I cannot see the photos? This has been happening to me alot lately. There is a square with the jpg. inside. When I click on the empty square, it goes to a site that still does not give me a photo. Is anyone else having this difficulty?
    Not sure why, but now I have to
    Right Click on the photo
    & then choose Open Link (in "new tab" or "new window" or just "open link" ).

This is with no changes to my OS or ISP but concurrent with the forum upgrade ...

The pics of his movement definitely say more to me than the confo pics. Nice suspension, and he reaches under himself well. His jump is cute, too! I'd bet that with a year or two of growth and some work on developing his topline, he'll be a stunner!

However, in terms of personal preference, I am not wild about his head from a purely aesthetic perspective. It looks kind of strange and bulged, to me. But I'm just picky.

And its a good thing they don't walk on their heads...from Dave Kelly after pinning a "AA" Green Conformation class @ Lake Plaicid...

Do you happen to have the pics on another site, too? My lunchtime entertainment appears to be limited as COTH images and my work network are fighting with each other....
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed