The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Organic or non GMO ration balancer

I have been feeding my horse a soy based ration balancer but I would really like to switch to organic or at least non GMO does such a thing exist.

There are a few specialty mills producing organic or non-gmo feeds for horses. As they're generally not widely distributed, your best bet is probably going to be asking around locally to see if there is anything produced in your area. Google is also helpful.

I think it exceedingly unlikely that you will find a non-gmo ration balancer, though, as they all seem to be soy based and I do not believe there is much (if any) non-gmo soy being grown anymore.

No one does not exist.

You can either buy Genesis organic feed and add a vitamin mix (which may or may not be GMO) or you have to mix a mix to create it at hom.

FWIW, Speedi-Beet is a non-GMO beet pulp that you could use as a base

Why a ration balancer specifically? If your goal is no GMO, that's going to be hard to find in a RB since their "stock in trade" is generally lots of protein and that usually means soy.

How about just hay and alfalfa (if soy is what you're worried about and not necessarily GMO primarily) and vitamins/minerals/essential AA to round out any deficiencies?
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Why a ration balancer specifically? If your goal is no GMO, that's going to be hard to find in a RB since their "stock in trade" is generally lots of protein and that usually means soy.

How about just hay and alfalfa (if soy is what you're worried about and not necessarily GMO primarily) and vitamins/minerals/essential AA to round out any deficiencies?

I have a 13.3 h.h. pony and a 16h.h. warmblood, both are pets and prone to getting overweight really easily. They are a little chubby now. I like to give them more than just a vitamin supplement but they do not need much. It was the nutritionist whom had suggested whom had recommended I feed the ration balancer.

Ration Balancers are VERY high in calories and not a good choice for a pony or an easy keeper for that reason.

1 members found this post helpful.

What do they need that is encompassed in "more"? More calories? More protein? More amino acids? More volume in their feed tub? All of these are easily accomplished one way or the other with various products, but a horse that's a little chubby would probably do better with less than "more".

I love the pelleted vitamin/mineral supplements like Uckele's Sport Horse Grass. Four to six ounces a day will get a normal-sized animal a substantial amount of the stuff that's typically missing from hay, and it's enough of a volume to make them think they're getting something to eat at suppertime.

My horse is actually been on a complete ration balancer called all phase lite. with reduced protein and callories.

How much is 'reduced?'

I would have to look into it.

Presumably, it's this stuff:

http://darwinsfolly.com/Pics/OtterCoopLifeLine.pdf

At 10% protein, I don't know if I would call that a ration balancer. Perhaps a vitamin supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

At 10% protein, I don't know if I would call that a ration balancer. Perhaps a vitamin supplement.
    Yes that is what I have been feeding for the last couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

That's a pretty minimalist ration balancer. I have to assume that "what you see is what you get" but there don't appear to be any B vitamins, no lysine or other essential amino acids, and only copper and zinc as microminerals. Sort of a glorified basic vitamin, with lots of "holes" left over if the hay is not absolutely glorious.

OP, have you considered having your hay analyzed and using FeedXL to "fill the gaps" in your nutrition program? A 30 day subscription to FeedXL only costs about $20 and allows you to plug in hay analysis numbers and plug in nutritional profiles of hundreds of different products to see what you actually need and what you don't.

I wouldn't say RBs are "very high" in calories - in the 1300cal/lb range. A pony would probably only need 1/2-3/4 of that.

However, I do agree, that 1300-ish calories would be better spent on hay if possible, but if you're already restricting hay for really easy keeper, then you don't want even "just" 1300 calories. Use a v/m supplement, a cup of beet pulp, add lysine if necessary. That's next to nothing in calories.

What does "a little chubby" mean? If they're a 6 BCS or higher, then no no RB. If the're a high 5, then it *could* work, but if they're sensitive to soy, it could backfire and make them "fat" fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I wouldn't say RBs are "very high" in calories - in the 1300cal/lb range. A pony would probably only need 1/2-3/4 of that.

However, I do agree, that 1300-ish calories would be better spent on hay if possible, but if you're already restricting hay for really easy keeper, then you don't want even "just" 1300 calories. Use a v/m supplement, a cup of beet pulp, add lysine if necessary. That's next to nothing in calories.

What does "a little chubby" mean? If they're a 6 BCS or higher, then no no RB. If the're a high 5, then it *could* work, but if they're sensitive to soy, it could backfire and make them "fat" fairly quickly.
    I mean he gets fat easily. The hay I am feeding at the moment is pretty high quality timothy I think costing me $24 per 100lbs bale. I have done trace mineral on him in the past and everything was within normal range. However the feed store was out of the ration balancer. So I went back to the step 7 http://whitehousestables.files.wordp...tbrochure1.pdf but I imagine it is also GMO.

Delta, the all-phase lite is a KER product, so nutritionally sound. Designed for the even easier keeper than the regular all-phase rb or used with a higher quality hay (such as the one the OP is feeding) than our local grass hay. Fed both products myself for several years until I began boarding again.

OP, since the links you are posting are island-based, have you considered the Top-shelf Feed's Island Horse supplement? It's a 14% rb specifically designed and blended for the island soil conditions. Not sure if it's soy-based or not, but give Top Shelf a call; Joanne would be more than happy to assist you. Our horses have been on it since it came out 2 years ago, and look great! Shiny coats, good weight but not overweight, normal blood levels, just a really great product! Can be fed with all qualities of hay, at the moment mine's on local grass with alfalfa cubes soaked (more for ulcer prevention than weight supplementation). To be honest, I think the Island Horse product is a far superior product than the Step 7 by miles, jmho, but having used the Step feeds too, I'll never go back from the Island Horse.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fanfayre View Post
    Delta, the all-phase lite is a KER product, so nutritionally sound. Designed for the even easier keeper than the regular all-phase rb or used with a higher quality hay (such as the one the OP is feeding) than our local grass hay. Fed both products myself for several years until I began boarding again.

OP, since the links you are posting are island-based, have you considered the Top-shelf Feed's Island Horse supplement? It's a 14% rb specifically designed and blended for the island soil conditions. Not sure if it's soy-based or not, but give Top Shelf a call; Joanne would be more than happy to assist you. Our horses have been on it since it came out 2 years ago, and look great! Shiny coats, good weight but not overweight, normal blood levels, just a really great product! Can be fed with all qualities of hay, at the moment mine's on local grass with alfalfa cubes soaked (more for ulcer prevention than weight supplementation). To be honest, I think the Island Horse product is a far superior product than the Step 7 by miles, jmho, but having used the Step feeds too, I'll never go back from the Island Horse.

Thanks I will look into that supplement. Ideally I would choice an organic but it would have to be the right choice for my horses which seems nearly impossible to find.

I never said it wasn't nutritionally sound, but if it's not suitable for this horse, it's not suitable for this horse. "Nutritionally sound" and "nutritionally complete" are not the same thing. It still appears to be lacking in all B vitamins, lysine, methionine, etc. Therefore unless all of those things are plentiful in the forage, they are not getting into the horse if all it gets is forage and this product.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I never said it wasn't nutritionally sound, but if it's not suitable for this horse, it's not suitable for this horse. "Nutritionally sound" and "nutritionally complete" are not the same thing. It still appears to be lacking in all B vitamins, lysine, methionine, etc. Therefore unless all of those things are plentiful in the forage, they are not getting into the horse if all it gets is forage and this product.
    Thanks I did a trace mineral analysis about a year ago and everything was within normal range. I do agree that the feed I am feeding is not great and I am hoping to find something more suitable, why I am doing research now. I would like to test the hay in March when we get a new load.

What is a trace mineral analysis? Hair? Blood? Hay analysis? I would consider only the latter 100% worthwhile, the other two virtually useless.