The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

My deal-breaker is STUPIDITY. I can absolutely not stand a horse who is truly, deeply, intractably STUPID. Lots of "difficult" temperaments can be worked with, lots of training issues can be reprogrammed, and a horse who's smart enough to be self-protective will usually look out for you by default when you're sitting on his back.

But the kind who can't find their own FEED bucket in the field--after 3 YEARS? No, thanks!

2 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    My deal-breaker is STUPIDITY. I can absolutely not stand a horse who is truly, deeply, intractably STUPID. Lots of "difficult" temperaments can be worked with, lots of training issues can be reprogrammed, and a horse who's smart enough to be self-protective will usually look out for you by default when you're sitting on his back.

But the kind who can't find their own FEED bucket in the field--after 3 YEARS? No, thanks!
    That's when you send them on labelled "too stupid to live here".
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Exactly!

Yep. Give me a smart and sassy horse over a stupid one, anyday.

Agree about the herdbound-ness. Soooo frustrating and difficult to correct.

I am also totally over spooky horses. Every once in a while with a good excuse - fine. But the ones that shoot ten steps sideways at every little leaf that blows in the wind are soooooo annoying. It's also one of those things that is really hard to fix and generally a part of their personality no matter how much training they have.

There are certain lamenesses I will deal with for the right horse (brave, kind solid citizens). Old set bows - usually not a problem; especially if they've been rehabbed properly. Old set ankles with no chips and negative flexions - also have not been a problem for me. Then again I am not aspiring to go above training level (maybe prelim); but for what I do, I can keep those horses sound.

A horse with no self preservation. I briefly rode a horse who I felt had no self preservation. He would get on the end of a lunge line and get himself so worked up he would wipe-out.
    If you changed anything in his environment it was a BIG SCARY DEAL. BO was letting a hose run to drain something. The water was making a bit of an arc in the field next to the ring. I could only get him about 3/4 of the way down the ring toward the field without him losing. When I asked for the canter so was SOOOO concerned about the water he cantered two strides, spooked and went down to his knees.
    I was done at that point. Never got back on the beast. I am a rather mediocre ammy rider that does this for fun. Having a 17++ hand horse almost go down with me because he is so distracted about a hose on the ground 50 feet away is so not happening.

My current horse, Finnegan, can be a bit spooky/looky so it wasn't the spooky aspect of the above horse it was that he was so spooky he would wipe out. Finnegan has a healthy self preservation and isn't going to do anything to stupid enough to injure himself and me in the process.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Not really anything is a deal breaker for me but I'm not a big fan of spooky bad to hack out horses.

I like a hotter horse to ride and certainly do not mind green....but my favorite horses are the ones that like to go exploring. I don't like riding a horse that is looking for an excuse to spook and put me on the ground. I ride for fun. Some times I want to just go on a nice hack. Of my last 15 horses....more than 11 OTTBs....and most of whom I started, only one wasn't good about hacking out. She made up for it in jumping....but still not my ideal.

Current two OTTBs....both LOVE to go out on hacks and while neither is a "packer" type or ones you could even put a less experienced rider on....both have a brave, let's go check out this new place sort of attitude that I love. Some of that is improved on as they have built of trust in me as a rider....but a lot of it is naturally installed in their type....and it must be a type that I tend to pick out without really thinking as so many of my horses have been like this. Now good in a dressage ring....that is a completely different story
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

but a lot of it is naturally installed in their type....and it must be a type that I tend to pick out without really thinking as so many of my horses have been like this. Now good in a dressage ring....that is a completely different story
    ditto this for me, although at least the current guy is willing to try hard versus the last three that made very clear what they thought of dressage
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I see a lot of people mentioned trailering, the last OTTB I got I picked up fresh off the track and was really impressed when he hopped right on the trailer and rode like a saint. BUT the second time on the trailer was a large two horse, this was a different story, hopped right on rode like a saint the entire trip, peaking out the windows for a 5 hour road trip down to my college. The problem occurred when we arrived and he wouldn't get off of the trailer!!!!! I must say I have never had this problem before; it's always been getting on the trailer, not off the trailer. Even though that day I was little bit more than pissed after having to work with him for 2 hours to finally get him OFF the trailer, which when we did get him off he kind of stumbled off :/ I was still kind of impressed with him... throughout the whole time trying to get him off the trailer he stayed calm didn't get worked up, or spooky, fidgety, mean... nothing... he actually kept sticking his head against me as if he just wanted it to be over. After many hours of half on the trailer half off the trailer and then on the trailer off the trailer he will now both get on and off without too much trouble.

I would say I would agree that trailering problems would be a turn off but in my opinion a lot of it also goes with how they act in the situation.
    ride like you have never ate the dirt