The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Topics for in barn clinics.

I need some more idea's for in barn type clinics. All ages and riding levels ( from Walk Trot 6 year olds to 3' 20 year olds to 2' adults....)

So far I have

Showmanship ( great for High school Equestrian teams AND
    manners ( and yes I am capable of teaching this! ))
    Patterns ( Medal riders AND EQ. Team)
    Barrels ( fun)
    Clipping, Pulling
    Braiding

These will be short 2-3 hour clinics on the weekends.

TIA

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Nutrition
    Wound Care
    How to spot and deal with an injury/lameness/malady - ie. the early signs of scratches, what it means if you arrive and your horse is stocked up, what to do if a horse comes in from the pen and is bleeding, how to care for an abcess, signs of colic, etc. etc.

7 members found this post helpful.

Maybe not for 2-3 hours, but one of my previous trainers asked me to do a talk on horse show turnout and apparel to the kids. Kind of a,"See how a clean horse & correctly fitting clothes improve the overall impression?" thing.
    We never got around to it, but thought about doing a historical "who's who" of the show world one winter when a kid dared ask, "Who's Rodney Jenkins?"

Of course, both of these are kind of inside ideas, but...
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Something about the Little Details on how to be considerate of the horse. Such as:

Making sure he goes in his stall to pee when coming in from turnout rather than going straight on the crossties.

Setting up all your tack and grooming equipment BEFORE taking him out so he doesn't stand there waiting.

On cold days, grooming legs and neck and brushing tail first before taking the blanket off.

Going slow and careful around the ears for haltering and bridling.

Making sure to tack up with the saddle too far forward at first and sliding back so the hair lies flat. Same for boots -start too high and slide down.

And so on.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wrapping (standing wraps, polos)
    Cleaning tack (might only be new for the little kids, but can be a refresher for older students)
    How to lunge

I like the ideas about nutrition and wound care, too.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    Nutrition
    Wound Care
    How to spot and deal with an injury/lameness/malady - ie. the early signs of scratches, what it means if you arrive and your horse is stocked up, what to do if a horse comes in from the pen and is bleeding, how to care for an abcess, signs of colic, etc. etc.
    agreed. plus conformation, lungeing, safety, tack + bitting (and cleaning too), blanketing, sport-horse breeding, starting young horses, overviews on other disciplines or competitions (like foxhunting, hunter pace, eventing, dressage, reining, side-saddle, endurance, etc to have well-rounded students). also might ask your local pony club DC if they have any good clinicians they might be willing to share.... or look up on uspc at the different topics for each rating. =)
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I did one for the kids at my barn this summer on prepping for a show. I went from what you need to do a month out (think trying on show clothes and making sure everything fits and checking if you need to re-stock anything) all the way to the night before and morning of the show.

You could also go into the differences in class types (might be a little too complex for the little ones) such as Hunter derbies, classics, and just regular classes. Same thing for jumpers.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

The clinics I offered (to barn w/ similar demographics):
    - wrapping (polos, shipping, boots, leg wound care, poulticing)
    - lunging (theory and practical)
    - body clipping
    - braiding
    - Tack 101 (disucssed saddle fitting, bridle fitting, bit selection and why, leather quality, etc)

Another fun session for the more advance riders: jump courses 101. Discussed the theory, related distances, difference between H/J/Eq courses. then had them all draw a course design. The group picked a good one and then went out and built it. Then followed up with a lesson over that particular jump course. The kids had a blast, learned a ton, and it helped them deconstruct, and hence ride better, over courses at horse shows.

If you have any youngstock at the barn, another fun clinic is Young Horse Training. Showing students how to teach a foal to lead, and learning about horse developement, teaching them to lunge, wear tack, be backed for the first few times, that kind of thing.

Have fun. I think so many barns are all about riding, riding, riding and in a limited 1hr lesson there's not much time for the theory or other stuff. Informal clinics are a great way to expose the students to other aspects of horse care.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

2 members found this post helpful.

How to REALLY clean tack! and get your stuff out for the practice!

How to poultice, along with the how to wrap. How to take/do all the vital signs. Make a card to keep the information in a tack locker.

How to set a jump course -- you learn alot by actually doing this, see the sight lines, bends, striding etc. Same thing as mentioned above, write their own patterns for classes!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

How about a "Why do we always/never" session? In addition to the topics you want to discuss, you could have attendees write down (anonymous so no one feels silly asking) questions about the always/never rules that they don't understand.

3 members found this post helpful.

As others have mentioned:

-Setting a jump course and/or walking a course (I was never taught that and really wish I had been!!!)
    -How to take vitals
    -Acute care/what to do in a equine medical emergency

Now that it's wintertime and things are really drying up, the temperatures are dropping, and heaters are coming out in a lot of places, how about barn fire safety? Could include how to identify potential hazards, evacuation plans, where fire abatement (extinguishers, etc) items are, maybe do a firedrill?
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

This is a great idea. When I was a kid, our barn did a similar thing during the winter (we didn't have an indoor). The sessions were about two hours long each. It was where I really learned the proper way to wrap a horse. We did it for polos, standing, shipping, foot abcesses and even a spider bandage.

Some of the other sessions that I can remember (it's been 30 years) included proper fitting of tack (bridle, including figure 8 and flash nosebands, martingale, breastplate, etc), trimming a horse to show off his best attributes, and longeing (when the weather got nicer).

I LOVE the course designing and building idea! I'd also love one on long-lining/driving.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

To sum up what others have posted, etc:

-Nutrition
    -Injuries/illness (Spotting an injury/illness; immediate wound care; what to do in case of emergency; how to take vitals)
    -Tack (Proper fit of saddle, bridle and bit; different types of bits and uses)
    -How to lunge
    -Course walking/setup
    -Wrapping and booting (how to wrap; proper fitting of different types of boots and their uses)
    -Body clipping and mane pulling
    -Hoof health (how to spot "healthy" vs "unhealthy" hooves; advantages and disadvantages of polishes,etc ; possibly include how "unhealthy hooves" could be fixed with farrier work if you have the knowledge)

Obviously that's a lot--just seems like helpful things to know for young equestrians
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I think anything to do w/ safety is a good topic. I did a trailer safety seminar once that was just terrific. Maybe you can see if your vet or farrier can come out and do a little seminar on safety & emergency /hoof care.

Quote Originally Posted by GaMare View Post
    How about a "Why do we always/never" session? In addition to the topics you want to discuss, you could have attendees write down (anonymous so no one feels silly asking) questions about the always/never rules that they don't understand.
    Isn't there a thread like this on here somewhere? If not, could there be? Please? Someone?
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

In addition to the show prep maybe show grooming(trimming up horse, polishing hooves,supplies needed for horse for showing including a handy checklist that can be given to participants for future reference), bombproofing exercises/trail obstacle clinic. Discipline discussion clinic-like discuss the differences in what is needed tackwise, grooming, etc for different disciplines.

Have the beginners take apart a bridle, learn the parts, and learn to put it back together. One teen at our barn still cannot do this though she has been riding for years.

Spend some time on different types of bits and how they work.

Illustrate school figures with a white board.

Pony Club and 4-H probably have good resources. The Pony Club manual was my bible when I was young.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Use pictures of different gaits and have kids identify. The itty-bitties can identify the gait, the older ones can identify how many beats, what the footfall pattern is, 'what comes next' in the picture.

If you are in a diverse equine environment (barn or area), get others to join in. And find the common bonds (besides loving horses). What is important in barrel racing? What's important in reining/cutting? How do you ask for a canter in hunters? In saddle seat? In western? How do you do a figure 8 in each? WHY are some things done differently [function]?

LOVE the "who's who" - and make it, again, for various disciplines.

Breeds - what they are/how they developed/what purpose did they originally serve/how has that changed?

Some older kids? May be getting in to some deep water here, depending on where you live, but breeding. Bring out a mare (or show a picture) and tell about her traits - what would you seek in a stallion? Cloning? It's happening - it's real - in some breeds, they're in the showring now. If kid could have any horse s/he wanted, who would it be? Why? If you could have a clone, would you expect it to be EXACTLY like the original? Why might it be different?

Can you tell that I have taught some of this stuff? My very first job was teaching many topics others have mentioned, and I enjoy sharing the diversity of horsemanship.

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Thanks everyone! I use to do these clinics every winter at my old barn and I had a brain freeze and couldn't remember ANY!!!

Thank you for all the suggestions that jostled old ideas and started new ones!!!

You are all making me sick for horse camp!