The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage trainer with lesson horses in Lexington KY? Any ideas?

Hey gang, I am stricking out in my online search. Here are the details:

ME:
    Very strong background in dressage (20+ years)
    Sold last horse and stopped riding 7 years ago
    I want to get back into riding either dressage or low level h/j.
    Need a lesson horse.

I just moved to LExington and have no horsey contacts here. It has been difficult to find a farm. (never dreamed of that in Lexington)

Do you have any recommendations????
    Thank you for your time. I really miss riding and I am dying to get back to it!!

April

I would start with Reese Koffler Stanfield http://www.maplecrestfarmky.com/RidingBio.aspx

I don't know that she would have any lesson horses, but she may know somebody who does, or perhaps has a boarder that may do a free lease for a horse that needs work. She's a USDF certified instructor and very good, and you could at least start with her.

1 members found this post helpful.

When I got here in 2006 I had a heck of a time too.

You say you'd take low level H/J -

Robert Murphy Stables is a big H/J barn but the trainer, Michelle Zimmer, is a former eventer and quite competent to teach low level dressage. They also have quite a mix of horses including some with broad skillsets, mostly eventing.
    It can be a bit chaotic, Michelle is rather overworked, but I learned to jump after at least 25 years off and never really having learned to jump properly in the first place. Had a lot of fun and I wish I lived closer.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Thanks WBLover-- I have been in contact with Reese and the schoolhorse thing is an issue...

RESomething... thanks for the lead... It would be interesting to learn a new discipline?! I may be forced in a new direction. I will check this barn out.

Keep em coming if you have more suggestions!

Thanks
    April

Elaine Gibala? She might have some horses you could ride, or know of some.

Susan Posner & her daughter Kristin Posner are also a big names in that area, I cannot attest to their training methods or if they would have school horses, but I've seen them at the shows all the time with client horses. Not sure exactly where they are located, but they are at the KDA shows all the time.

Found a web page for Susan:

http://susanposner.webs.com/

Having observed Susan Posner warming up a horse at a show, I would hesitate to ride with her. There are quite a few hunter barns with lesson horses (Punchestown, comes to mind) and a couple of eventing ones as well. Sharon Vander Ziel is an excellent instructor, but I don't know if she has school horses or not. Might be worth a phone call any way!

Elaine Schott at River Mountain Farm or Ashley Brien Watts at Liftoff Equestrian both have VERY strong flatwork as part of their program, and I know Elaine has schoolhorses that are nicer than many people's show horses. Both are fabulous instructors.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

This is an old thread along the same lines that may help:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/ar.../t-229207.html
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

If that doesn't pan out, you may want to start looking for a half-lease or free-lease situation, or somebody who needs their horse worked because of time constraints and wouldn't charge you because it's a mutually beneficial situation.

I know you said you haven't been riding in a long time, but I remember you from a long time ago, we have crossed paths. I would not hesitate to let you ride my horse, you're a very good rider. So even though you are out of shape right now, it's just like riding a bicycle, you never forget. It's just a matter of getting your overall fitness back. I took a 5 year break from it too, and it wasn't too long until I was back in the swing of things. Found someone with too many horses and not enough time that let me ride her low level dressage mare for a year, I even got to show her. I finally bought another horse again and have been back in the game for the last 4 years.

Heck if you were closer, I'd let you come ride my boy, but I'm pretty far north of Cincinnati.

If you're willing to drive to Cincinnati, Leslie McDonald has a few lesson horses. www.fcfarm.com

WBLover,
    You are too kind! I wasn't sure if you remembered me riding Levi or not! I do miss it terribly and I am so out of shape. I wouldn't mind a half lease or a situation that you are suggesting. I really do just need time in the saddle, but i didn't want to "tout" any riding abilities with seven years out of the saddle. I will keep looking around. I do wish i was closer to Cincy, I would take you up on your offer.

tic tac, check your private messages...
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yeah, I'm 2 hours from Lexington, but you certainly can come up for a visit anytime and ride him if you want! He's gorgeous, and very sweet, you'd love him!

I'm so glad to hear you're getting back into it again! Tracy was living in Lexington for a while but has moved back down to SC. She probably would have loved to see you too. She's got an unraced TB right now that's just been started, he's a doll.