The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've never had a bad experience with Dover or the products it sells. About 12 yrs ago I ordered 2 Rambo rugs. I ordered the wrong size for one horse, since the BO said he would need a larger size than he measured. So it was not Dover's fault that I got a rug 2 sizes too large for Cloudy. I paid for the return, as it was my fault. Dover said I should wait and let them send me, along with the right sized rug, a return postage prepaid. I did not wait. But the return would have been free if I had waited.

And all this happened just before Christmas. And the rugs were not Christmas presents, but Dover shipped and reshipped ASAP.
    I'd prefer not to pay high shipping and handling charges, but I do want the ability to return items, as I've done for years, without a hassle. And I this year got a great deal on some clippers, on sale, which included a free pair of the regular sized clippers. So shipping and handling charges only took a little out of saving about 150$. Recently I ordered 2 liners for my horses' rambo rugs and another liner for another cother's horse, and the cost was less than that offered by smatpak. (I also like smartpak, but I like Dover more.)

I don't understand the bashing of Dover. If I had bad service or products from them, I'd not use them. Dover reminds me of the old Kaufman Saddlery where I used to get all my horse stuff decades ago.

5 members found this post helpful.

Why are people jumping on the OP about this? Good lord. It's an online forum, she was venting...no one is suggesting sacrificing kittens or anything.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

11 members found this post helpful.

I've had negative experinces with Dover as well. In contrast, I've experienced terrific customer service from SmartPak. Consequently, I purchase all my horse related needs through SmartPak or my local tack store now,

I agree that if Dover couldn't provide an exchange for the item returned it should refund the customer's shipping costs. Their shipping cost policy is crazey in that they assess shipping cost by the price of the item, not the weight of the item. So, shipping for a $200 pair of riding breeches is going to cost you a lot more than a $20 bottle of hoof conditioner. No logic whatsoever.

But think of the shipping charges logistically. Do you really expect them to measure your entire package and bill you accordingly? That's just not realistic from a shipping standpoint. So while they are on the phone with you or while you're making your online order they are supposed to weigh every single one of your items and say well that's going to weigh X so we're going to charge you X? I don't know of many retailers that do that. Maybe I'm wrong since I live in a big city and don't order much online.

I know I have ordered through State Line and they charges also based on price, not weight. It's just not feasible.

1 members found this post helpful.

HRF, there are online retailers that charge actual freight fees for heavy items. They seem to do it. They write right in the catalog how much each item weighs. I think most people learn basic math in elementary school.

2 members found this post helpful.

Dover's method of calculating shipping costs is a revenue generator for the company. It is ridiculous that if I have $300 of merch in my shopping cart that they want to charge shipping at all.
    I work for a large retail company (not in a store) and successful companies understand the long term value of happy customers. After reading this thread I realized I couldn't remember the last time I ordered from Dover because of their shipping policies alone. On the other hand I've spent $1,000 between SmartPak & a local tack store in the past year.
    Dover needs to realize they aren't the only catalog in town anymore.

I've had some REALLY good return service with Dover, but it was in person at the store. I had a saddle that had a stirrup bar that kept flipping itself open mid-ride, and my feebly insecure butt at the time couldn't manage to stay in the saddle when the stirrup dropped off They took it back, no questions asked, and gave me a brand-new saddle of the same model.

I am about to return a jacket from them I got on closeout (anyone want an Ariat legacy hunt coat size 10 in brown plaid that looks more gray? my hulk shoulders don't fit it...should have known better and ordered way up on sizing). I hope I have no issues with the return!

I think it has been long since understood that the service at the brick and mortar stores is very different than the service for mail order.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I think it has been long since understood that the service at the brick and mortar stores is very different than the service for mail order.
    Sometimes... They can also be VERY condescending and act as if not everyone is worth their time and effort.

I am lucky and have a Dover store nearby so I don't have to deal with ordering on-line. I will say they have always been good about taking products back that break or malfunction. I had reins break on a showmark bridle and a zipper that didn't work on Ariat half chaps and they took them back even after they had been used for quite a while and gave me new ones.

I've had great experiences with Dover.

I had bought the Collegiate half hole leathers. After about 6 months of riding, one was badly stretched despite me switching sides weekly, and the leather was peeling away on the back of the leathers, and they were indenting/cracking on the front. I called in and they send I could either send them back for a full refund or exchange them.

Friend bought a helmet in 2009 at a dover store, had it measured yb them etc. She's used it off and on, maybe 10x, and just started back jumping again. Over every fence, the helmet is falling down over her eyes.

we were in Lexington for a show, so ran over to the Dover store. They took it back, no questions asked and she walked away with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
    But think of the shipping charges logistically. Do you really expect them to measure your entire package and bill you accordingly? That's just not realistic from a shipping standpoint. So while they are on the phone with you or while you're making your online order they are supposed to weigh every single one of your items and say well that's going to weigh X so we're going to charge you X? I don't know of many retailers that do that. Maybe I'm wrong since I live in a big city and don't order much online.

I know I have ordered through State Line and they charges also based on price, not weight. It's just not feasible.
    No I don't. But most online places now charge a flat rate. SmartPak for example. As well as VTO, Equus Now, Adams Horse Supply, etc. And alot of them even ship for free over a certain dollar amount.

I only shop Dover if I have to and they are the only ones that have the item I need. But that's the only reason why. I've never had any real issues with them.

I have a dover card, so I pay $5 no matter what....including the time I grabbed 12 water buckets on sale for $3.99

I have had only good experiences with them as well. What I do is go on & order my replacement & just let them credit me for the return that way you don't have to worry about them selling out while your return is being processed. I think what they were telling you is they were giving you a credit for the original price of the item but not including the shipping you paid on the original order. I agree with the others on here that they deal with an extremely high volume of merchandise & there is on way for them to get thru returns that quick.

I have had generally good service with mail order from Dover including them providing free shipping for returns if I ask, but I have found that I need to call them to get them to process the return to my credit card. It seems to sit in limbo until you ask. I don't buy much from them any more because Smartpak is so much better to deal with.

I've had good service form dover but just plain like smartpaks website better. It seems easier and more straight forward to work, and they just seem so much more inviting about everything.

Maybe I'm just lucky - or easily pleased - but I've always had good experiences with Dover. Returns? no problems. Today I ordered some gloves which were on sale, and the shipping would have been almost as much as the gloves themselves. The gal on the phone dropped the shipping costs to their lowest possible. They've always been very accomodating.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    YES I AM %^&%&$%% PISSED. Over two weeks to process a return/exchange? The product would still be in stock if they had dealt with the exchange in a timely manner. I will NEVER use Dover again, no matter how much they try to tempt me with sales etc. They ARE NOT WORTH IT.
    And this is the hill you want to die on ?

Please, snap out of it and get a hold of yourself.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky - or easily pleased - but I've always had good experiences with Dover. Returns? no problems....They've always been very accomodating.
    Same experience here. When shopping I always start with Dover (more to choose from) and then move on to SmartPak if necessary.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    You should check out this website: http://whitepeopleproblems.us/

Thanks!!!! I didn't know about this website.... Loooooove it!!!