The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The horror!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    I didn't think the FWP references were meant to be funny???
    I mean, I realize people have spun sites and blogs off them, but to me they serve very well to categorically remind people where complaining priorities should lie.

The real problem is an incessant need to sensationalize everything.
    Interesting way of looking at it, however my generation (college aged) takes it out of hand and I'm sick of hearing it. When used as a way to complain, it's annoying and insensitive. Anyway, my fault for de railing this thread.. Sorry OP..

I only buy things from the store at Dover.. I never purchase them online or in catalog for that very reason. I'm lucky to have a store close to where I live.

My best friend and I just had two Dover experiences that were worlds apart.

She just bought a new horse and we both needed some things, so we went to the Hunt Valley store. Three different women helped us while we were there and they were all great. BFF needeed new boots, and they were very thorough in helping her find the right pair for her, as she's hard to fit.

Later, we were looking at the saddles, and another woman came and helped us narrow it down to a couple different models. BFF wasn't ready to buy just yet, but it helped her get a feel for what she thought might be a good starting point for her new horse. Everyone was so nice and helpful, and we thought that maybe Dover was really turning it around on customer service.

A few weeks later, we decided to do the Virginia run--Middleburg Tack Exchange to look at used saddles, and then down to Chantilly to the Dover there.

Well, we walked in, they said hi, we went over to look at saddles and no one came to help us or even check in to see if we needed help. The saddles are pretty much right there by the registers, so its not like we were hiding in a dark corner. We were there for a good 40 minutes, pulling things down and checking gullets and flaps, sitting in them, debating their merits, etc.

We did have a good experience with the woman who helped us with helmets. But when I checked the manufacture date of the helmet, it was already 15 months old (and helmets have a shelf-life of 5 years). I bought a helmet from SmartPak last year that was also at least a year old, and they offered to exchange it or pro-rate the cost.

When we mentioned the manufacture date to the woman who was checking us out (not the same woman that at helped us with the fitting), she told us that the five year shelf life was from when the helmet was purchased, not when it was manufactured. We disagreed, and she said, "Well, what are you asking me?" We asked her if she could pro-rate the cost and she sort of sniggered and said, "No, no, no, no, no," shaking her head like it was the most outlandish thing she'd ever heard. We didn't buy the helmet. And when my friend decided on a saddle, she bought it from a local independent tack shop and not Dover. So Dover basically blew a $3,000 sale, between the helmet and the saddle.

I'll go back to the Hunt Valley store if I need something quickly or am looking for an item that I need to try on first. But I'll avoid the Chantilly store based on the experience I had there. I don't order from Dover online because of the exhorbitant shipping fees.

It's a shame, because I grew up in Massachusetts and it was always a treat to go to the Wellesley store--it was by far the best tack shop in the area, you could find much better quality stuff there, and I was always treated well. But things have changed since they went public, and when I go home for Christmas, I'll be making a pilgrimmage to SmartPak's retail store instead.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd just like to point out that the word "horror" appears in THREE thread titles on the front page of this forum.

Our sport must be absolutely terrifying.

carry on...
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Shop our 50+ sale horses available at 2014 WEF, Thermal, Ocala & Gulfport here.

13 members found this post helpful.

I've generally had decent experiences with Dover but due to Dover's shipping charges and policy, I only use them if I can't get the product from SmartPak

Regardless of the retailer I think if you order a product, have to return it for an exchange and they are out of stock, the retailer should refund the purchase price and the shipping. That is just business.

I also don't like the fact that Dover charges more the same product that is found in their other catalog Smith Brothers (Western). Just another example of sticking it to the hunter/jumper riders. The think we are fools as consumers.
    For example, Pyranha Wipe-n-Spray in Dover is priced at $13.99 which is $2.00 more than the exact same product in Smith Brothers.
    Last edited by pds; Nov. 30, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by rhinestone_cowgirl View Post
    If Dover is so bad, why do you people keep ordering from them?
    I don't.

I will buy from then if I can go to their retail store, but I don't' order online anymore. It has to do with their exorbitant shipping costs... nothing to do with CS. I have received good CS from Dover in the past, but when I can buy the same product at the same price elsewhere with free shipping and free returns if I need to return, then it seems like a no brainer...

OP, I am sorry this happened to you, that sucks.

ETA: I GOT A NEGATIVE RATING FOR THIS POST?
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Dreaming in Color

I'm sorry you went through that, but at least they're giving you a refund. It would be nice if they refunded the shipping for the return, too. Have you contacted someone and asked? (Try to be super nice about it and maybe they'll give in?)

I'll use this opportunity to plug Smartpak for their customer service. My pair of Tredsteps broke at the zipper on one side less than 6 months after I bought them. They took 2 weeks to got back to me which irked me, but I found out today that a new pair was on its way to me! What awesome customer service.

a) this was my first bad experience for Dover. I am more annoyed the amount of time it took them to figure out what the deal was with the return.
    b) Yes I did pay for shipping twice, once to me, and once back to them. And yes it is a horrid experience for a customer to have to wait 2.5 WEEKS to hear from a company about an exchange. They CLAIM they are going to give me refund, but as of right now, NO refund has been given. I begged for the return shipping to be paid, but to no avail. Said they would not cover it, it was a burdon on me. I should have just bought the things through smartpak and been done with it. I remember when Dover was THE place to order from.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I also do not see the point of comparing an issue posted on a horse forum with world problems and all that. We are allowed to be annoyed when things do not go right, even though there are others who might have bigger problems.
    Do you really think the OP's complaint reached the magnitude of "horror"?
    I think it's the debasment of that term that has inspired the responses.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

5 members found this post helpful.

In response to the person who says that Dover doesn't read posts such as these, they do. Hence the new return policy of if you're not happy with an item you can return it any time no questions asked (really). That was in response to such negative commentary about the return policy.

I do agree that refunding your shipping charges as well would be better customer service, and while the return time was long, you can't fault them for not having something that Ariat no longer carries. I have a particular pair of half chaps from Dover I adore, but they stopped making talls in that particular style. I can't be upset at Dover that they don't still carry what the manufacturer doesn't make.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    I'd just like to point out that the word "horror" appears in THREE thread titles on the front page of this forum.

Our sport must be absolutely terrifying.

carry on...
    OMG I almost wet myself. Mostly because I realized how horrifying our sport is. LMFAO!!

Personally, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Dover. I've returned and exchanged several things and always had a good experience. I've never been fond of SmartPak and after a few less-than-pleasant purchases I no longer consider them.

I've found that the trick with Dover is to contact a CS rep before sending the return label back. That speeds things up dramatically and every time I've also been able to get a pre-paid return label from them. They can also let you know if the item is out of stock and offer other suggestions this way. Just my experience.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    They CLAIM they are going to give me refund, but as of right now, NO refund has been given..

You know credit cards take a day or two to actually process refunds, right?

4 members found this post helpful.

yes, this is what I was told monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Do you really think the OP's complaint reached the magnitude of "horror"?
    I think it's the debasment of that term that has inspired the responses.
    Hear hear!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

2 members found this post helpful.

a) this was my first bad experience for Dover.
    Which, no offense, makes the title of your thread even more uncalled for and inaccurate.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Which, no offense, makes the title of your thread even more uncalled for and inaccurate.
    If I could change the title to , "My latest obnoxious Dover experience" I would, however..

If I could change the title to , "My latest obnoxious Dover experience" I would, however..
    You can change your title to whatever you want. People do on here everyday.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

2 members found this post helpful.

1. Change your title if you wish, by using the Go Advanced button.

2. If it was your first bad experience, how could it be your "latest"?

3. Didn't your "horror" occur over a Thanksgiving holiday, which justifiably added to the time things took?

4. You are starting to sound like....nevermind.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    1. Change your title if you wish, by using the Go Advanced button.

2. If it was your first bad experience, how could it be your "latest"?

3. Didn't your "horror" occur over a Thanksgiving holiday, which justifiably added to the time things took?

4. You are starting to sound like....nevermind.

I have had numerous annoying experiences.. If you read the original post, THE RETURNED PACKAGE WAS DELIVERED TO DOVER on Saturday November 11th. I heard nothing from them until Monday the 26th. I KNOW the package was delivered because of the return receipt and the name of the person who signed was on the email I received from UPS. This was WELL before the thanksgiving holiday. 9 business day before the Thanksgiving holiday. Call me a troll if you wish, but I have posted numerous things on this forum before. Pardon me for voicing frustration with people who have also had bad experiences with Dover. Pardon me for being greatly annoyed and using the wrong word..