The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My latest Obnoxious Dover Story..

I ordered a pair of half chaps and paddock boots from Dover. The paddock boots fit fine, but the half chaps needed to be exchanged for a different size. (thank you Ariat for inconsistant half chap sizing) I paid the shipping to return them on November 7th. I got the email confirm that they had been delivered and signed for on the 11th. Didn't hear word from Dover. After a week and a half of no new half chaps and no word from them, I called on Fridayy the 23rd. The service rep said the exchange is at returns and should be going out either the 27th or the 28th. Okay fine, at least I know something is going on. YESTERDAY MORNING THE 28TH 17 DAYS AFTER THE EXCHANGE WAS DELIVERED TO THEIR DOOR, I get phone call saying the size I needed is no longer available and they are refunding the price of the product minus the amount for the return shipping label. YES I AM %^&%&$%% PISSED. Over two weeks to process a return/exchange? The product would still be in stock if they had dealt with the exchange in a timely manner. I will NEVER use Dover again, no matter how much they try to tempt me with sales etc. They ARE NOT WORTH IT.
    Last edited by MoonLadyIsis; Nov. 28, 2012 at 08:52 PM.

8 members found this post helpful.

I mean, it sounds like an inconvenience but I wouldn't go as far to call it a "horror story."

You contacted them, they told you when you would receive the item. On the day you were supposed to receive it, they contacted you and told you what went wrong (yeah, it happens--that does suck). So they refunded you the money (minus shipping--it's in their fine print I believe), and you got your money back...
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

10 members found this post helpful.

I only got part of my money back (according to them, it has yet to be credited to my credit card) PLUS I was out the money to ship it back, which to them is 15 bucks. PLUS it took them 2 weeks to figure stuff out AFTER receiving the package?

2 members found this post helpful.

thumbs down for Dover. That's SuuuUuuucks.

This is also why I always reorder immediately, and simply return the others. I know it costs shipping but hey... that's the price I pay for living in a retail deadzone.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Wait...you paid for an item, paid to have it shipped to YOU and it didnt fit...so YOU paid to ship it back to THEM in order to exchange it and they are refunding you purchase price MINUS the shipping...that YOU paid?

How is that fair? The way I am seeing this you paid shipping twice...right?
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    That's SuuuUuuucks.
    Well said.

I think it "counts" as a horror story if a business creates a customer fulfillment plan that it can't execute in practice.

Were the OP warned that you might pay to ship back for an exchange, but could not trust that the company would have the size, why would she shop there? She might as well add the price of return shipping to 50% of the items she'll buy.

And then the cheaper prices at Dover don't work anymore unless you are willing to screw their competitors by figuring out your size at one retail place and buying from another.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

I think you are over reacting, hardly a horror story. I have never had anything but great service from Dover, including taking back items a year later (unused) and giving me full credit.

6 members found this post helpful.

You should check out this website: http://whitepeopleproblems.us/

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

7 members found this post helpful.

If Dover is so bad, why do you people keep ordering from them?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinestone_cowgirl View Post
    I totally agree.

OP, that sounds inconvenient at best and really freaking annoying at worst, but I don't understand why people complain incessantly and then still give the company their business. They don't care what people write on internet forums; they only care about the bottom line. Speak with your dollars, not with caps lock.

I live super close to a brick and mortar store so I go to Dover frequently. For me, that is purely about convenience but if I didn't live close to a store, I would never buy from them when there are so many other companies that go out of their way to be user-friendly and competitively priced with great shipping and return policies.

5 members found this post helpful.

I may be the minority, but I have had nothing but good experiences with Dover. I have been mail ordering from them since before the internet.

I shop there, because they often have a good selection, and if you keep an eye out on their sales (and are wise enough to comparison shop) – They have some great discounts. The things I have purchased from them (saddle pads, bridles, breeches, half chaps, helmet, etc), I bought from them because they had the lowest price for that particular item (even with their shipping).

I have only had to return one item with them. A helmet that didn’t fit. They ended up special ordering one from Charles Owen that is not usually sold in the states.

Two weeks to process a return, in the peak of the holiday shopping season wouldn’t bother me that much.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Nov. 28, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    You should check out this website: http://whitepeopleproblems.us/

Nothing against you for posting this, but since seeing this video, I no longer find the #firstworldproblems, #whitepeopleproblems etc. jokes comical.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/10/...icken-hatians/

Just trying to spread the word when the opportunity presents itself.

I LOVE Dover! They have gone above and beyond and over backwards for me on numerous occasions. The secret is to go to the store. If you can not go to a store have someone else go for you and ship it to you or order from Smartpak and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterHalter123 View Post
    Nothing against you for posting this, but since seeing this video, I no longer find the #firstworldproblems, #whitepeopleproblems etc. jokes comical.

Not trying to derail, but after reading that I actually find it offensive that they would turn something that is in itself meant to be funny, ironic and satirical into a marketing opportunity.

Just my opinion, but I think it's pretty harmless for ppl to poke fun at themselves w/ the FWP jokes--I think that pretty much sums up that they realize the bigger picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

10 members found this post helpful.

I thought Dover had instigated a happy customer guarantee program like Smartpak has. This certainly does not sound like the way to make a customer happy.

I also do not see the point of comparing an issue posted on a horse forum with world problems and all that. We are allowed to be annoyed when things do not go right, even though there are others who might have bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    Not trying to derail, but after reading that I actually find it offensive that they would turn something that is in itself meant to be funny, ironic and satirical into a marketing opportunity.

Just my opinion, but I think it's pretty harmless for ppl to poke fun at themselves w/ the FWP jokes--I think that pretty much sums up that they realize the bigger picture.
    Meh I used to think that.. just not anymore.. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion after seeing the video I just started not finding those jokes funny anymore. Of course we are allowed to have our own problems even if the problems of others are greater, but it doesn't mean that we have to make a joke out of it, just because we are fortunate to be a part of a "first world" society

Quote Originally Posted by rhinestone_cowgirl View Post
    They have such a wide range of products and some nice Exclusives. There are some products I find very useful that few people carry. Leather New Foam, Extra Long saddle pads, really durable, cheap small hole haynets.... Rather than pay shipping from half a dozen places, I'll consolidate and order from Dover. But I do so as a last resort.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

I didn't think the FWP references were meant to be funny???
    I mean, I realize people have spun sites and blogs off them, but to me they serve very well to categorically remind people where complaining priorities should lie.

The real problem is an incessant need to sensationalize everything.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

5 members found this post helpful.

Yes, sensationalization and also why do people want to perpetuate the negative? Years ago I was given a short piece of advice, the gist of which was don't associate with negative. Whether it is your fault or someone else's. Other people will remember the negative not whose fault it was, if that makes sense. So if you have a problem, don't spend a lot of energy complaining, just move on.

In other words, what I WILL remember is Person A had a big problem with Person B. My memory will NOT tend to be that Person A was right and Person B was wrong.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterHalter123 View Post

Why would you post that? I find it so offensive and exploitative I don't even have anything to say. And it has NOTHING TO DO with the link I posted. And if you cant see that...then...well, I still have nothing to say.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse