The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    you might want to try a reverse method of trying to grow grass in the arena..from my experience everything will die without any additional effort on your part.

Plant seed...then it will not ever rain again... this has worked for me every time... also I have found out the more expensive the seed the longer the draught... now even the trees are dieing

Well, considering I've got a lovely grass border on the edge that is growing into the ring along with all the bloody weeds, I'd probably fail at planting grass anyway.

I've already lost over a dozen fir trees on the west side of the house and property. One's that I rely on as a wind break. I've got 8 more that are dying and will be taken down next spring possibly. Then I have to plant about 8 more to replace the last ones and hope they help in a few yrs anyway.

An ex-SO used to cut hay and fertilize the oats figuring he had to luck out on one or the other!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Try Noxoll! I think that's how it's spelled. It is granular and you just sprinkle and drag. We get the occasional weed, but it is SO MUCH BETTER. I can always tell when it is time to re-noxoll because suddenly things start growing.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
    Try Noxoll! I think that's how it's spelled. It is granular and you just sprinkle and drag. We get the occasional weed, but it is SO MUCH BETTER. I can always tell when it is time to re-noxoll because suddenly things start growing.

Do you know if it will get the deep rooted weeds, like dandylion?

I'll take a look and see if I can find it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

can you get 20% (or stronger) vinegar?

It is not available in all states, but it is an environmentally safe weed killer that needs to be applied when the weeds are growing

http://www.garden-ville.com/products/25/20-vinegar.htm

If you're not using the ring...maybe try salting it? I'm amazed Ground Clear didn;t work. Although if you're in a damp area, sometimes the Ground Clear works but doesn;t last for shite. Happens to me even here in CT sometimes, I use it on my gravel driveways and on dry years it lasts an entire year/warm season. On really damp years, it lasts 8-12 weeks despite being "effective up to a year."

Do you dampen the footing with the ground clear and then drag it to mix it in/let it go further down? If ground clear sits on top of dry footing, it's more apt to just evaporate rather than soak in.

I would definitely leave it since you have a small-ish indoor. And while an indoor is a HUGE draw for horse property buyers, if it's the *only* riding surface and small it might deter people.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Default Outdoor ring

clanter, I'll check to see if I can get 20% vinegar closer than TX

MistyBlue, I never tried to wet area down with Ground Clear and then drag because it's too darn big an area to do. Remember arena is ~80' x 220'. By the time I'd wet it down, even part, it would be evaporating. Funny, when it was called Triox, I had better luck with it. Now admittedly that was probably 20+ yrs ago. Most of the time now when I use it, it only lasts a couple of months, no longer for sure. Extended Round Up isn't any better, just more expensive.

Also, Misty, the area really isn't wet, remember it's tiled and graded. Actually graded 2 ways. About a 1.5-2% grade from center to sides on the width, and then a gradual grade from top to bottom on the length.

For sure, I have to keep a record of suggestions since we are now into winter so applying any herbicide won't do any good.

I really do appreciate all the suggestions and need to go look for various products.
    Sue

Have you tried salting the ground?

I've had friends swear to me that it was the best thing they ever tried in their rarely-to-never-used arenas.

I wouldn't get rid of the arena because it sounds like a lovely size and is a nice addition if you ever opted to sell. I don't think that outdoor arenas add much to property value, but the whole package of barn/indoor/outdoor could conceivably draw more horse folks than just the small indoor. I know that I wouldn't look at a farm with only a 60x120 indoor, but would jump on one that had the outdoor that's big enough for jumping in addition to the smaller indoor.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Have you tried salting the ground?

I've had friends swear to me that it was the best thing they ever tried in their rarely-to-never-used arenas.

I wouldn't get rid of the arena because it sounds like a lovely size and is a nice addition if you ever opted to sell. I don't think that outdoor arenas add much to property value, but the whole package of barn/indoor/outdoor could conceivably draw more horse folks than just the small indoor. I know that I wouldn't look at a farm with only a 60x120 indoor, but would jump on one that had the outdoor that's big enough for jumping in addition to the smaller indoor.
    Many yrs ago I did have some left over road salt and I put some on the gravel driveway areas where the weeds were the worst. I didn't see a lot of improvement at the time so I wasn't impressed with road salt anyway.
    Sue

back to adding value to horse property.... when we bought our land we became the fourth owners from when the land was land grant land so we still possessed the mineral rights.

A few years back with the resurgence in natural gas and oil exploration it was discovered we have at least three pockets of natural gas and two pools of oil under the land.

So, the land for the horses is now paying for the horses

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    back to adding value to horse property.... when we bought our land we became the fourth owners from when the land was land grant land so we still possessed the mineral rights.

A few years back with the resurgence in natural gas and oil exploration it was discovered we have at least three pockets of natural gas and two pools of oil under the land.

So, the land for the horses is now paying for the horses
    Wow! You are lucky. I presume you're talking about Fracking. So far I think NY state hasn't decided on allowing it. I don't follow because I doubt my little 5 acres would produce anything worthwhile (except horse manure)!
    Sue