The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Mangle beets are common chicken fodder. They over winter well, to be rationed out as needed. Drill a hole through one, hang it on a light rope (to keep it up out of any poop), & they peck away. Some chickens have no clue what it is, so it may take a while for them get a clue it is food.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

When my chickens hear me coming on the Gator at feeding time, they come running as a herd/flock all at once. They know I have their evening scratch. Chickens are a riot..

2 members found this post helpful.

I love the idea of some beets!

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow! Who ever thought a chicken feeding thread could get so testy. It has been entertaining reading with a glass of wine.

As always JB is the voice of reason!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Mangle beets are common chicken fodder. They over winter well, to be rationed out as needed. Drill a hole through one, hang it on a light rope (to keep it up out of any poop), & they peck away. Some chickens have no clue what it is, so it may take a while for them get a clue it is food.
    I'm surprised that someone actually knows about Mangel beets...
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Are we talking beets or mangelwurzels? I've tossed beets, both raw and cooked in for my hens with poor results (others may have had better luck!). I don't think mangels are grown much in the US--is anyone cultivating them for cattle feed here? It is funny how different chickens like different foods--my friend's hens love strawberries, mine are lukewarm about them, but blueberries are manna from heaven! Go figure...

We have a small produce store that will give away boxes of trimmings and "bad" veggies and fruits, but most stores will not simply hand them out. When I asked why not, they told me it was due to liability--if someone ate the questionable items, they might (at the least) bad-mouth the store or go so far as to sue. So, they throw it away. Sad, isn't it?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Are we talking beets or mangelwurzels? I've tossed beets, both raw and cooked in for my hens with poor results (others may have had better luck!). I don't think mangels are grown much in the US--is anyone cultivating them for cattle feed here? It is funny how different chickens like different foods--my friend's hens love strawberries, mine are lukewarm about them, but blueberries are manna from heaven! Go figure...

We have a small produce store that will give away boxes of trimmings and "bad" veggies and fruits, but most stores will not simply hand them out. When I asked why not, they told me it was due to liability--if someone ate the questionable items, they might (at the least) bad-mouth the store or go so far as to sue. So, they throw it away. Sad, isn't it?
    I was talking of the Mammoth Red Mangel beet. Grown and used as livestock feed in the 1800s. Huge cilyndrical beets. I'm gathering that this is what ThisTooShallPass was talking of as well. I don't know what mangelwurzels are.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    Layer ration is much lower in protein compared to meat bird feed, meat bird feed is much lower in calcium. If your hens are not laying and you want to plump them up or give more calories in a smaller amount, meat bird feed might work for you. Laying hens on meat bird ration need calcium supplementation.

You can buy all sorts of bird feed and give it to your chickens, not sure if that is cheaper. Whole grains work too. I have never seen an undigested corn seed come through yet.

Calcium supplementation idea: I save all the egg shells, bake them when the overn is on for another reason, crush the shells and add back to the feed. Eggs and hens are staying good and strong.
    What does baking the shells do please?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    What does baking the shells do please?
    probably sanitize them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.