The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If I won. I would, of course, make gifts to family, pay off all my bills and house and purchase the truck and trailer of my dreams. I would make generous donations to local animal rescues and begin shopping for my dream horse property where I can foster some retirees. I would be smart and invest a large chunk of it and then.....I would start planning the horsey vacations of my dreams. A bunch of my friends and I would take a horse vacation each year to some far off locations. Horse safari's in Africa, Machu Picchu by horseback, German Castle tours by horseback, Cattle drives in the Western US, etc.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

1. Pay half of my sister's medical school debt (so she will forever owe me )
    2. Pay any and all medical expenses for my cousin Tyler (he's had a rough life)
    3. Retire my TB to a life of comfort when she deems herself ready
    4. Buy myself a fun TB project to play with
    5. Buy a fancy-schmancy A/A or A/O hunter to play with

One can dream
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

I'd buy a sizeable farm and hire a good staff to run it. Then, I would probably go to Europe to go horse shopping. I would get a Grand Prix horse, a fancy schmancy hunter, and a nice flat-jumping Eq horse too. Why not?
    Then, I'd spend most of my time traveling to shows.

I would get my mother a very small farm with a couple of sweet, dead broke Quarter Horses.

I would make my youngest sister a deal: she can have her own farm with the fanciest horse money can buy...as long as she dumps that loser boyfriend of hers.

Non HR: I would also find a way to take care of my dad and middle sister. And, let's not forget my villa in Sevilla, Spain.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    1. Pay half of my sister's medical school debt (so she will forever owe me )
    Only half?!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'd buy a farm in Wellington, a farm in the north, and fill the stalls with 10 horses, which is about as many as one person can keep in work.

I'd ship the lot over to Uta Graef's place in Germany (as many as she would take) and study dressage with her for a year or ten.

So I'd probably need a house near her place to live in, too.

Still a lot left over to help out friends and charities.

If I won....

pay off all debts for myself and immediate family.

set up trust accounts for kids and sibs.

Probably buy some property, build a house and a barn so I could have the horses at home, and I'd pay someone to come in to train/clean stalls etc. I'd very much prefer to do the hiring locally.

I'd also start a local business to employ those who have become unemployed and support it for 5 years, at which point it would need to be a going concern. Then I'd love to be able to finance a small business or two a year, perhaps start a co-op for people to shop at when they can't afford good food.

I'd love to finance some self help schooling, haven't thought that out too much, but something that would help those who don't want to go to higher schooling become desired employees.

I'd buy up some of the homes that have been on the market in my Small Town, remodel what needed done and tear down those that aren't worth remodeling. Then I'd rent the remodeled homes, to the people who are employed at the business above (if they don't have their own place). Pets and children would be welcome.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I'd buy a farm in Wellington, a farm in the north, and fill the stalls with 10 horses, which is about as many as one person can keep in work.

I'd ship the lot over to Uta Graef's place in Germany (as many as she would take) and study dressage with her for a year or ten.

So I'd probably need a house near her place to live in, too.

Still a lot left over to help out friends and charities.
    RE: Farm in Wellington - http://www.goldenbearhomes.com/prope...gton-fl-33414/

BUT ALAS, you will not be buying it, as I will be buying it since I will be winning.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

when i win i pledge to fund off topic day FOREVER!!!

7 members found this post helpful.

What fun to dream like this.

I'd say that 10% of the gross would have to put in a fund for giveaways.

I'd endow my 2 brothers and each of their children with X amount of $ with which they could do whatever they wanted.

A couple of friends who helped me when things were very bad would each get a fat check, too, just because. No thanks accepted and I don't want to know what they want to do with it.

Would have the lawyers arrange the best way to gift these folks their money.

Would pay off the humongous college debt my two children have.

Would make the repairs my little house so sorely needs, and would buy a car newer than the 16yo one I'm driving.

Then the fun part of the 10% to help good causes. Animal rescues, inner city or very rural scholarships, school supplies for poor districts, oh, so many places that need help....

Hmmm...I think I would buy the farm where I currently board my horse (not for sale, but I'm sure the owner would sell for the right price), totally raze the current buildings and start from scratch.

Buy some more horses. I also really like the idea of some kind of grant for riders who can't afford it for whatever reason. I ride with a couple juniors who would love to do more, but can't because of finances. It would be fun to sponsor them. It would also be fun to buy my trainer some super grand prix horse, because lets be honest...a horse of that caliber would be wasted on me! LOL.

Give money to family and certain friends.

Make some real estate investments.

Quit my job!

$550m?!

My brain just shorted out trying to figure out how much that would be in pounds.

What would I do?

I'd buy my Mum and Dad a nice bungalow with a pretty garden. Something like this or this. I'd make sure they wanted for nothing.

I'd buy some more land for me. Then I'd go to the sales and buy some needy horses, get them started and sell them on to good homes. I'd train WPs and give them a good wage and somewhere nice to stay.

I'd also breed Cleveland Bays. They're getting very rare and I like them. I'd buy five of the best mares and breed high quality foals that could be trained to event or for dressage.

I'd buy as much land as I could and stop people building on it. Ditto woods.

I'd set up a fund at my vets to help people who can't afford their vet bills.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1. Take care of all my stinkin' debt.
    2. Help family and friends.
    3. Make generous contributions to a few charitable organizations I firmly believe in.
    4. Buy a nice property suitable for a retreat facility for both people affected by family violence in all its forms and for rescue/special needs dogs and horses and put things in motion so they can all help heal one another.

More land and more lessons would be at the top of my list.

Interestingly, I'm pretty happy with my current horses, most of my tack (though I'm still searching for the right saddle for my younger mare), and my truck and trailer. There are a few non-critical car repairs that I'd take care of, but I'm happy with my vehicles as well.

Building an arena would be nice. But honestly, I go a little stir crazy if I ride in the arena too much, so it's not as critical for me as you might think

And DH would certainly get to either do whatever he wants to his Fiero, or he could just buy himself some other mid-engine car. Lotus Elise maybe?
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Pay my college debt. I'm only a freshman right now, but I know I'll owe a fortune by the time I'm done. Joy.

Buy myself a Grand Prix prospect(for my trainer to bring up), a Grand Prix Schoolmaster(for me to learn on so I don't screw up the prospect), and a 3*** eventer. None of them need to be super flashy at their level, I just want something that knows its job and is decent/safe to go around on.

Buy that nice little farm in Virginia, nothing huge. But something that is workman like and good quality with 12-14 stalls and HUGE pastures with an indoor & outdoor, and small xc course.

Then I'd like to make sizable donations to my high school drama department, my college equestrian program, various horse rescues, the USEA, and Pony Club. Especially Pony Club. I'd love to make it so that more kids can be involved with pony club as they grow up.

Of course I would also use the money to pay off family debts, taxes, etc! But I'd really try to just put most of it in an account somewhere and forget it exists. I love my life pretty much the way it is and don't want to change too much!

I'd want to start a farm where kids from a juvenile detention center came in and worked with the horses as part of a rehabilitation program. I teach HS now so I'd like to keep working with kids in some form, but without all the grading I've heard about similar programs before and think it would be good.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

First off I'd make sure my family and friends were taken care of. Then I would work with some sort of adviser to set up self-perpetuating foundations to support things I care about.

And then? Then I'd buy this place: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/reb/3438293798.html

And best of all, I would never ever ever ever say these words again "I really need to get down in numbers"...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

TrotTrotPumpkn has a point--once it was public (IIRC with the big jackpots you CANNOT stay anonymous) I would probably start by posting to my facebook: "Yes, I am the winner. No, I will not donate to your favorite charity, fund your entire Kickstarter, pay off your debts, buy your stuff, buy stuff FOR you, give you a loan, and if you have a business plan in which you'd like me to invest, my financial advisor's name is X, and he may be reached at Y. All proposals go through him."

So did any of you guys win? lol

Not me, but I had two of the numbers. I feel that should be worth about a million.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

There are some great ideas here.

I'm also reminded a little of this classic Steve Martin bit:
    http://youtu.be/CPVuHP3OXk0

I can't even wrap my head around that much money. I don't think I'd even *want* that much money.
    But here goes:
    I'd start with the basics, like everyone has said. Family, friends, personal debt, etc.
    I'd renovate my parents' house and move there, so they could live with us until they die. I'd get some more land so I could have a couple horses on site.

I'd create a retirement home for old/disabled/unwanted horses, that I would pair with a therapeutic center for disabled children.

I'd have to do a lot of research to find ONE other thing I could focus on to make a difference...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!