The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Oh Halo, now you have posted AGAIN.

Once again, you are spot on.

Just like my mom wanting a presa canaria a few years ago when they were coming into vogue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Excuse me, I do not think a dog who kills "animals" will distinguish between large or small animals, be that a human child, or adult child, chee wa wa or your new born foal.

I do not think the dog (the dog who kills) can distinguish between protecting it's master from a person with a knife robbing, breaking and entering, or the paramedics coming into the house to help the owner.

My elderly mom was wanting a presa canaria. She can not even control her corgi, let alone a huge dog like this.

I know we are humans. But we humans are just another "animal" here on earth. I think we are all fair game when dogs start to take out other warm blooded creatures. Large or small.

Please do not correct me or fix anything for me. I know exactly what I wrote, and typed.

The dog of this subject will more than likely end up in a dead end no kill shelter, only to live out it's life in a chain link run. Pretty much a death sentence in solitary confinement.
    Well, it is noteworthy if a dog takes on a 1200 pound animal vs a cat.
    I think they can distinguish pretty well, even between burglars and parametics.
    Now, would I want to be a parametic chancing it? nope. cos dogs don't read the same books we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I do not dislike pits. I've rather liked the ones I've met. In fact we had a super sweet young brindled female when I worked at the no-kill I loved and wouldn't have minded personally adopting had I been in a position to take another dog.

I have never met an aggressive pit bull but I am sure I'd think the opposite if I did. I've seen videos of pit attacks. An aggressive pit bull is a scary animal.

Any animal can be dangerous of course, but I don't see why die-hard pit supporters cannot admit there is a problem with aggression in these dogs. I feel statistics say otherwise. Dogfighting is super cruel and there are idiot owners but what about the dogs that are pets, like these dogs, that were never treated badly but attack animals or people anyway? Attacks by "pets" still happen. So why not humanely euth all the aggressive pits? And keep the good ones and let their genes pass on? In a few generations, wa-la. Aggression largely bred out.

It would actually help the pit bulls. The "save them all" attitude works against your cause of saving the dogs because when they attack, it is often so bad and makes the news, and then things like breed specific legislation get proposed and good dogs die needlessly. If we eliminate the aggression and pit bulls attacks become rare then no one has anything to complain or ban them for, and thus more dogs saved and having happy lives.

I do not see why people are so against euthing these two particular dogs. They've proven they fall into the "aggressive and need to go" category. I'm sure there are pits that get loose that mind their own business like a normal dog and eventually go home. These dogs did not do that. Imagine if that was your horse that was killed and your small dog that was injured. Because that is exactly what these two PET dogs did.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

2 members found this post helpful.

Anybody know how the sentencing in this case turned out?

The female dog was given 10 days for a rescue to take it, if none step forward it will be put down. Male is to be put down.

ETA - I actually just Googled the story and found this latest article. No rescue wanted to chance taking the female, so both dogs were euthanized.

http://www.kswt.com/story/20232640/t...rse-euthanized

I do feel bad for the dog owners losing their pets to an untimely death, especially the kids, but ultimately this was all the their fault and completely preventable. This was not the first horse these dogs went after; they had opportunity to learn from the first event where they got lucky because the horse was not harmed, but failed the dogs again. If you want to keep a known vicious dog, you need to take even more steps to keep the dog contained. Rest in peace Spud, Pano, and Mackenzie.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    ETA - I actually just Googled the story and found this latest article. No rescue wanted to chance taking the female, so both dogs were euthanized.
    Thank freaking God for that.

And yeah, poor Spud is the second horse those 2 went after. The article I saw has the dogs' owner saying something along the lines of "I don't know why they like to go after horses, durrrr*."

I imagine him mouth-breathing as he says this, and idly imagine that he falls onto some kind of rake and stabs out his eyes.

* the durrrr was added by me

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Thank freaking God for that.

And yeah, poor Spud is the second horse those 2 went after. The article I saw has the dogs' owner saying something along the lines of "I don't know why they like to go after horses, durrrr*."

I imagine him mouth-breathing as he says this, and idly imagine that he falls onto some kind of rake and stabs out his eyes.

* the durrrr was added by me
    Agreed. The dogs' death is sad, but it was the right decision.

They should have been put down. Those dogs were dangerous. I would have put my two dogs down if they attacked a horse. I also own a Pit/Great Dane mix and a American Staffordshire Terrier. Both are great dogs and I have put hours upon hours of training into them. They are not easy dogs to train, no bull terriers/pits/Staffordshires or many other terriers are easy dogs to train. Both my dogs are well socialized and know commands and respond no matter what the situation. They have to be socialized and have to listen or I would not have them.

Its the owners who think they can handle dogs like these and don't train/socialize/be responsible. The owners are the problems but society blames the dogs. The owner needed to buck up and take responsibility for his dogs. They should have been put down right away, the owner should have paid damages, and not made a huge mess of the situation and the breed.

The owner is a moron.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

2 members found this post helpful.