The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Yeah, bots. I guess I can thank the surrounding neighbor's cattle or the Greenland Ranch, because they're everywhere.

According to the article I linked to above, wetting the legs is not very effective. Even if the water causes the eggs to hatch the horse can still ingest them. I don't know, but I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on that. I want those little nasties GONE completely.

Yes, she has been treated with Ivermectin immediately following the first frost and I was diligent about removing the bots. Last year, when her ulcers flared up initially and we scoped her, we DID discover that she also had bots.

www.photobucket.com/ulcers

She should be bot free this time around. I am dosing Ivermecting again this month to be sure.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

So funny thing...Haha...not...

I joked that worrying about this horse was going to give me ulcers...guess what? I was just diagnosed at the ER when I woke up with excruciating stomach pain that wouldn't subside (had marinara on my chicken dinner last night...lthe last time this happened was also following an acidic meal...)

The doc is pretty certain I have ulcers. Trial of omeprazole & if that doesn't help, I get to have a scope of my own...

Handy...!

Oh gosh, so sorry to hear that you are suffering like your horse. Maybe you can now do that pop-rocks trial? (just kidding) Hope you both get better soon.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

My boyfriend said "now when you give Lady her medication you can take yours too!" Funny guy!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    My mare will leave her feed (hay or grain) to walk away and stare at something moving who-knows-where and will do this regularly, even when she's grazing.

She isn't on any supplements right now, so the calming supplement would be to try to take away the edginess of being a nervous nelly. Again, she isn't on it, I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on a calming supplement to make her "less nervous" and therefore, less apt to get ulcers again.
    Mine not only do that , but will also( for no reason I can see) bolt madly from the hay like they were shot out of a cannon because my dog gave her " there is an intruder" bark. I don't call it nerves, I just call it" my horses are healthy and feeling good today". I do hope you can find a solution .

Just read you have ulcers too? Heres wishing you both the best of luck!

Good news: my mare is back to eating hay normal, AND...the big indicator for her...drinking water normally! She typically would drink water after she ate her alfalfa mash. She was refusing to do this for the past few weeks, but last night adn this morning after eating, she went to the water tub and drank quite a bit of water, so it appears 14, 300 mg Ranitidine twice a day has gotten her back to a good place. I am still going to do the pop rock treatment when they arrive, which should be this week.

And yes, I apparently have ulcers too. I am on 40 mg of Omeprazole twice a day for 2 weeks, and then a followup with my primary care provider.

Delta:

I have a friend with an alpha mare that she wants to sell. I am not in a position to buy a $2500 horse to see if it will keep my mare ulcer free; however, if she still has her this spring, I'm going to "free lease" her until she sells and see if it makes a difference with my mare's Mother Hen personality. I can ride the other mare while she's at my house to help my friend keep her in shape, meanwhile, maybe my mare will just CHILL OUT if she has someone else to keep watch over their little herd.

ETA: I'm not in a position to add another horse over the winter because I only have 2 stalls, already have 2 horses, not enough room, and did not put up enough hay for 3, otherwise, I would just take her now.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    Oh gosh, so sorry to hear that you are suffering like your horse. Maybe you can now do that pop-rocks trial? (just kidding) Hope you both get better soon.
    LOL! Lucky for me, my generic omeprazole capsules are actually cheaper than pop rocks

UPDATE: the pop rocks got her back to 100% so I feel confident that they work as intended. She is eating normal and drinking normal. She has been weaned off them for about two weeks now and is still going 100%, even after spending multiple nights in a row in her stall (which is a tipping point for her, she hates being stalled). She was still very irritable and anxious in her stall, although was eating and drinking.

In addition, I was looking more into symptoms of a magnesium deficiency. It appears that the symptoms can be almost the same as most of the common ulcer-like symptoms: anxiety, weight loss, irritability, lack of appetite, etc. I purchased some 54% MagOx and started her on 1 tablespoon daily. Since being on the MagOx (for about 2 weeks now), she is no longer anxious in her stall (she would charge the door before, seeking to bust out whenever she saw me) and the irritability has gotten considerably better, enough that I have noticed an improvement.

The plan is to continue the MagOx and see how this turns out in the long run. I think there were definitely stomach issues going on, as following the pop rocks, she went back on feed and water, but with the noticeable improvement after MagOx, I'm wondering if there isn't an issue there as well.

*oh, and I have weaned myself off omeprazole also, and haven't had any more ulcer issues myself!

OUCH - I just saw your photobucket pictures of the ulcers. I haven't had my guy scoped before but it makes me feel even worse when he does have ulcers. Ow Ow Ow! Glad she is doing better, I've been waiting over 6 weeks now from my blue pop rocks... considering just doing Succeed.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Does anyone know what if any buffering agent the paste version of the Abler omeprazole contains? I think there's been enough discussion/empiric evidence that the BPRs have a sufficient enteric coating to be effective, but I was wondering if anyone's delved into the paste version?