The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My horse is in for surgery- UPDATE! She is home, but....

Last week my almost five year old was lame. I took her to the vet, she was sound as could be. Yesterday morning she was three legged dead lame. Called vet said she is dead lame, sent video clip to prove. Took her back to vet, he pulled her out of the stall, she walked off sound...
    Incredibly long story short, she has bone chips in her stifle. No clue where they came from. Vet thinks they move around enough that she is not always in pain, until they move to a certain place.
    We went over the X-ray for a while together, there in no apparent bone damage we could see. All we could come up with is she had an OCD lesion there as a foal, perhaps this is related?
    They are going to operate today. They will remove the chips, and scope to look for further damage. I feel surprisingly calm, not having a melt down yet. My friend told me that I'm in survival mode... Maybe, but damn my luck... I'm still hoping for the best.
    Last edited by Katy9532; Dec. 7, 2012 at 05:54 PM.

I'm so sorry! I am planning on having the same surgery done in the next couple weeks. My guy was diagnosed last year. I gave him a year off and he was sound for a while, but has been a little off the last couple of weeks again. The x rays I had taken a year ago and recently do show that the chips have moved, so I definitely think that the position they are in determine if he feels pain or not.

Sending big jingles to your horse; please update when he is out of surgery!!

Best of luck to you and your horse.
    friend of bar*ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Where is a shamrock when you want it? Good luck!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Hoping everything went OK.

She is out and doing good. All bone chips were removed. All ligaments and tendons look great. They say the bone will heal in time. It is a result of her OCD lession from her younger days.

That is good news!!! Now for a speedy recovery.
    friend of bar*ka

Great news! How long will she be on stall rest?

Good news.
    Be sure to follow the post-op protocol to the letter. My OTTB came up lame with OCD fragments 2 weeks after I brought him home (stifles were the ONLY joints on the PPE that we didn't X-ray). He had the surgery immediately and SO FAR we haven't had to look back. That was 5 years ago...now that I wrote that, he'll probably be lame in his L stifle when I bring him in tonight...
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

6 months off. Haven't gotten the official word on the amount of stall rest, but I'm guessing 30 days give or take. I had to go out of town for work, but the vet is calling me daily with updates, and I can bring her hm Monday. I'm going through some pretty big emotional waves. I cannot believe this happened, as I said in the 1st post it all happed so fast (less than 24 hrs from diagnosis to surgery).

Default UPDATE!!!!!!!

I brought her home yesterday and we are now looking at 45 days of stall rest. She is fine in her stall as long as my other horse is in her stall next door. My other horse is going CRAZY being locked up and desperately wants to be turned out, but if I turn her out the recovering horse starts a rodeo in her stall. Anybody got some advice for me?

Try rotating horses in the stall next to her assuming there isn't only one other horse on the property. If that isn't an option you could build a hospital stall out of roundpen panels and make a stall outside next to the other horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    I brought her home yesterday and we are now looking at 45 days of stall rest. She is fine in her stall as long as my other horse is in her stall next door. My other horse is going CRAZY being locked up and desperately wants to be turned out, but if I turn her out the recovering horse starts a rodeo in her stall. Anybody got some advice for me?
    The hunter/jumper barn I worked at in HS kept a small pony just for horses on stall rest. Pony went in box stall with the "patient" serving 2 purposes: (1) providing company for the horse in question and (2) getting in the way if the horse tried tried to get too active in the box stall.

Can you "borrow" a friend or trainer's retired old horse or pony? Or find a companion pony on craigslist cheap?

I only have two horses. My horse recovering from surgery and my old retired mare. They are the only two horses on my property. I had a friend offer up her mini as a sitter, but the way my stalls are set up the mini will be able to escape with little to no effort (I am having new stall doors built so the mini will be reevaluated again soon.)
    My barn is actually located in my pasture, so when the elder horse is turned out, she is always with in sight of my recovering horse. The recovering horse is very upset being left in while the other is out. It is not a matter of her being left alone.

Not sure how feasible this is or if it would work for your horse but would she be okay if you were able to build a stall sized fenced in area outside so she would technically be outside but not really able to run around?
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

I had the most anxious, stall weaving TB on stall rest and reserpine worked great keeping him calm.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Better living through chemistry. Speak with your vet and see which drug he recommends for your situation
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Chemical help for both. Fluphenazine is IM...worked great for two of mine. I'd try to borrow a pony if you can, then you can alternate which one you can keep in.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Tranquilizer!!! Don't make your other horse go stir crazy. Just tranq the injured mare, she should settle down in a few days and be quiet in the stall (then start tranq again for when you start hand walking her)