The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Turnout Blanket Recommendations/ Smartpak?

So I am a huge Rambo fan but am seeing that Smartpak offers a turnout with a 10 year guarantee. Any suggestions?

Price isn't a big deal only because I keep blankets forever. I have two old Rambo Wugs that I do NOT like but they won't break, so I've been using them for years.

I do like to layer blankets and have one horse in a rambo with the detachable liner (I bought the turnout sheet and liner separately) It works great... I would get the same again but want to check out this Smartpak Blanket with the 10 year guarantee.

Seems like everytime I buy something that isn't Rambo, I am disappointed in the durability.

I have a Rambo wug (medium) and a Smartpak turnout sheet. I've only had them through one winter but they have worn the same way. The sheet still looks great, no tears etc., and my guy is a champion roller and game-of-tag-instigator.
    Forward momentum!

1 members found this post helpful.

Love Rambos, have always used them and variations of (Rhino, Amigo) but am hearing the new ones are not holding up well.

I am also a Rambo lover and have several of them, but...when SmartPak came out with that new blanket with the 10 year guarantee I couldn't resist.

It's a nice fitting blanket but after the first rainy day my horse came in wet. I called them and it's on its way back to them and they will send a new one out. We'll see how waterproof that one is.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I have a pony wearing the smartpak sheet. It's a little snug on him but we could have probably gone one size up. I don't like that the front doesn't stay velcroed like the rambos do. He's worn it through some yucky rain and stayed dry, but only had it about a month.

I've had this one for two seasons - and since I layer this on top of a heavy stable blanket it has seen a lot of use. I've had to replace the leg straps (they got stretched out), but other than that its been great. Fits my mare (who has a big shoulder) wonderfully, mine Velcros completely in the front, and it looks brand new still after its been washed. I have smartpak's stable blanket as well, which also looks brand new, I would not hesitate to get another smartpak brand blanket.

I LOVE THE SMARTPAK RUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Mine are on season 3...that's a whole season with Vernon (maybe more, I don't quite remember when I got them) and TWO seasons with Toby, who is a rough, rough, ROUGH guy. They are holding up great! They fit great, and I do layer a lot with mine.

I have the "Deluxe" in the medium weight high neck, and the "Classic" in the sheet. I have been begging them to make a "Deluxe" lightweight hood so I can replace my crappy Amigo sheet and hood with something I like.

I suggested the "Ultimate" (with the 10 year guarantee) to a client with a very rough and tumble horse. It fits well and is a nice quality, but I actually prefer the weight and feel of the Deluxe over the Ultimate.

I used to be a hard care Rambo fan. But I am not loving the newer versions. They are over engineered with too many pieces to come undone and get lost. Thankfully, they do still make the classic version (the original green and red), but I prefer high neck rugs, and the Rambo Wug is one of the designs that is suffering from over engineering.

I have the Smartpak Supreme turnouts and prefer them hands-down over Rambo. i have not seen any shoulder rubs and they have stayed waterproof. I used to LOVE Rambo's but the ones I bought 2 years ago did not hold their waterproofing even though I washed them with their blanket wash. I bought the "set' of Smartpak blankets and I am very pleased with them.

Nancy

Nothing against Smartpak (I love Smartpak - who doesn't?) I've never tried their blankets becuase I started with Dover's Riders Supreme line and I've been tempted by cute colors and patterns but these have lasted season after season, (78) fit my 15.3h, rounder than average TB perfectly and have never had to replace anything. My horse is full body clipped so I have 2 turnout sheets, sheet-weight neck cover, 2 turn out heavey-weight blankets and blanket-weight neck covers (so one can go to the laundry when needed through the season). The neck covers are easy to attach/remove, compared to others I've seen and stay in place better than others. I like being able to mix the sheet neck cover with the blanket or layer when needed. Just to test the water-proofing several years in, my horse was grounded to indoor turn out one day this week and chose to stand under the sprinkler - my trainer said he was completely dry underneath They run great sales on them (of course you have to play the Dover game with the sales catalog #s and I have the credit card so I don't complain about their shipping rates anymore...) but I'm very happy with the product.

Interesting. The reason I like Horseware blankets is because I've found anything with shoulder gussets rubs. But the SmartPak ones start higher up on the blanket. No one has had any issues with shoulder rubs?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Love Rambos, have always used them and variations of (Rhino, Amigo) but am hearing the new ones are not holding up well.
    well..... i had one Rambo start to fall apart and they replaced it with a brand new one..... so while i was not happy when it started failing, i give them a+ for customer service - so i think they do care - you might give them a call and talk with them.....

Yes, I got shoulder rubs with the Amigo and Rambo. I do not get them with the Smartpak Supreme (same horse).

I stopped buying Horseware stuff when they refused to stand behind their product when it was clear that the material they used for the Rhinos one year was crappy quality and tore if you looked at it cross-eyed. I was told that unless it was faulty seams/sewing, they would do nothing.
    I have a bunch of Dover's Northwinds and they have held up really well- they have been on my hard-on-blankets gelding for years and are much cheaper than the Rambos and Dover has pretty good warantees to boot (almost makes up for the shipping fees ).
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I just ordered the Smartpak Ballistic sheet, the one with the 10-year guarantee. I already know they stand behind their products, they've done amazing things for me with no questions asked. I'm more than willing to pay what works out to be $16 a year for a sheet b/c I'm spending a lot more than that now thanks to SOMEONE who's become a jealousy biter.

I don't know what the model is called but the turnout blanket that I have from Smartpak is the blue plaid with thinsulate lining. That makes it really light weight but still warm. I bought it big and my now 2yo racehorse has worn it two years. I'll be waiting for the sale so I can get a larger size for next year. The plaid makes it easy to find amoung all of my trainers red blankets .

Well, I have to do something.
    http://eventhorse.wordpress.com/2012...shredding-101/
    He's currently nekkid.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

We bought Beval high necks last yr. They still look as good as the day they arrived. They are wearing like iron. They just had their 25% off blanket sale early in November. They will run another sale in/about Feb. They do run large, generous Euro sizing, so you may have to size down.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Interesting. The reason I like Horseware blankets is because I've found anything with shoulder gussets rubs. But the SmartPak ones start higher up on the blanket. No one has had any issues with shoulder rubs?
    Both the boys wear Smartpak blankets and never get rubs where as most blankets I have tried in the past gave them terrible rubs.

They still look new after 5 years....

Quote Originally Posted by NMK View Post
    I have the Smartpak Supreme turnouts and prefer them hands-down over Rambo. i have not seen any shoulder rubs and they have stayed waterproof. I used to LOVE Rambo's but the ones I bought 2 years ago did not hold their waterproofing even though I washed them with their blanket wash. I bought the "set' of Smartpak blankets and I am very pleased with them.

Nancy
    FYI, my Rambo Wug lost some of its waterproofing this fall, 3 years and 10 days after I purchased it. Since they have a 3 year waterproof guarantee, I called the store I bought it from. They spoke with Rambo, and sent me a brand new turnout after they received my old turnout, 4 days after I contacted them. I'm thrilled with Rambo!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.