The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default turnout blanket w attached hood-horse lives out 24/7

I saw some turnout blankets with an attached neck and was intrigued. It gets nasty cold and windy out here. My gelding lives out 24/7, this year I had to do a modified trace clip because he's in full work. I have a medium weight blanket for him, but was thinking about getting a heavier one. Would an attached hood be a problem for a horse that lives outside? He is on a round bale (doesn't graze) but I wonder about the flexibility/maneuverability of the attached hood.

Thoughts?
    Team Ginger

He'll be fine, definitely. I've had a few live out in them, and most of the horses in my barn have them, and they all get around just fine.

Personally, I prefer something with a hood in a lightweight sheet, then I can just toss over everything else if it's really crappy out. Ex: If it isn't brutally cold, just chilly, but raining/sleeting my clipped horse can go out in his medium weight turnout, but I'll toss his sheet with hood over top.

Thanks! That's a really good idea as well, I'll definitely look into a more light weight turnout sheet that waterproof with a hood, rather than a heavy blanket with a hood. Would be easier for me when I'm changing blankets, etc. too!
    Team Ginger

My boy lives out 24/7 and he has a Rambo Duo. He isn't clipped at the moment so I don't use the hood when the weather is pleasant. However when its windy, wet, etc he will wear the hood and when he is clipped (full body) he wears the hood 24/7 and never have a problem.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

i bought this rainsheet/ neck combo http://www.pleasantridge.ca/index.ph...rainsheet.html for my mare recently and its great (and it is 1200D although it doesnt say so, i asked before buying).
    its been very windy here lately and have been using it lots, she gets picked on by my geldings and so far no marks on this blanket she is outside 24/7 aswell and it doesnt slip around at all.

although if you are looking for a winter one theres this one http://www.pleasantridge.ca/index.ph...-clearout.html for 89$ if your horse happens to be an 82-84, i wish my mare was!

I have my guy out 24/7 and have used the DuraTech heavyweight T/O with hood.
    The funniest thing is, is he will stand butt-to-wind, which causes the neck cover to billow out a bit, making him look like a purple triceratops with no horns.

Here are some places:
    http://www.sstack.com/specials_turno...nout-blankets/
    http://www.sstack.com/specials_turno...k-cover-hoods/

Or from this place ~
    http://www.carouselhorsetack.com/cat...ts-and-Sheets/
    http://www.carouselhorsetack.com/cat...s%2C-Slinkies/

I was going to give my gal a bib clip & assumed the hood was mandatory to keep her warm in MN. My problem is that I a not sure if it will be too much when she comes in at night. BO would take it on/off for me, but I want to be as low maintenance as possible (I am at a private barn for a song & want to keep BO happy)

[QUOTE=nasalberry;6691463]I have my guy out 24/7 and have used the DuraTech heavyweight T/O with hood.
    The funniest thing is, is he will stand butt-to-wind, which causes the neck cover to billow out a bit, making him look like a purple triceratops with no horns.

This is why I prefer the attached neck versus the detach-a-neck.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    I was going to give my gal a bib clip & assumed the hood was mandatory to keep her warm in MN. My problem is that I a not sure if it will be too much when she comes in at night. BO would take it on/off for me, but I want to be as low maintenance as possible (I am at a private barn for a song & want to keep BO happy)
    Most of the horses in our barn have the attached neck blankets and the BO just flips the neck back when the horses are in.
    One of the other things that I did last year was use a standard neck midweight or standard neck sheet over the midweight combo neck. My horse has high withers and I found this rubbed less. It seemed to make it easier to manage the layers. The combo neck would always stay on and the BO could just swap the top layer either as a sheet or midweight depending on what was needed.

I can wash my own standard neck blankets and sheets but the combo necks don't fit in my washer. Having the standard neck on top of the combo neck kept the combo neck mostly cleaner longer.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Most of the horses in our barn have the attached neck blankets and the BO just flips the neck back when the horses are in.
    One of the other things that I did last year was use a standard neck midweight or standard neck sheet over the midweight combo neck. My horse has high withers and I found this rubbed less. It seemed to make it easier to manage the layers. The combo neck would always stay on and the BO could just swap the top layer either as a sheet or midweight depending on what was needed.

I can wash my own standard neck blankets and sheets but the combo necks don't fit in my washer. Having the standard neck on top of the combo neck kept the combo neck mostly cleaner longer.
    We do the same thing with our guys as well. Never had a problem when the hoods were this way. Even did it for turnout, on a rare occasion.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I have the neck cover that is removable for the blankets I use. I find this gives me a greater variety of blanketing options. I have a midweight blanket(the hood is midweight fill), and a heavy weight blanket. I can attach the neck cover to either of the blankets, so this makes using either/or easy and I can also layer the blankets. My horse lives out 24/7 as well.

I think the only problem is when hoods used to cover faces. I was always told that's not acceptable for horses who live out 24/7 in case the hood slipped and covered their eyes.

But if we're talking "headless hoods" or neck covers, my guy has always had hoods and he's lived out 24/7 his whole life. Most of his are the detachable ones with 3 elastic cords and snaps so I could put any hood on any blanket, so long as the blanket had D rings. I personally like the detachable ones he has because of the insane temperature fluctuations here. It's easier for the BO to go out and put on a hood or take a hood off, rather than swapping out a whole blanket.

But some detachable hoods are better than others. There's one horse at the barn who's detachable hoods shows a great big swath of hide showing on his neck and some are so wide they blow upwards and let the wind in. My horse's are snug, go back past the withers and come up right below the ears. 4 clips in the front keeps his whole neck covered.