The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My clippers blew up halfway through our full body clip. What now? Photo's added ;)

So I bought a new pair of Oster Clipmasters (variable speed.) About three years ago. I have used them a total of 4 times. This would have been the fifth... Got almost the entire right side down on my gelding, when they gave a loud bang and started making the most horrible noise. I quickly turned them off and gave them a few minutes then turned them on again, just to see. The were still making that awful noise and I could smell they were burning. SO I brought them home and it turns out it is the armature. So I will probably replace the part, but am thinking of buying a new pair and keeping these as a back up...

However, what do I do now? I have a really old pair of clipmasters stashed somewhere, but I don't even know if they work. Sigh... I am so horribly fustrated about this!

Anybody else have clipper nightmare stories?

Photos:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7252972&type=3
    Last edited by Showjumper28; Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Anyone have a set that you could borrow to finish the job?

A friend just had this happen to her the night before a dressage show. But she has only gotten the front right hand side done and badly at that due to clippers really not wanting to work! Think she managed to borrow a pair before the show to finish it!

P.

Borrow a set to finish and then take it up with Oster. Those clippers shouldn't blow after 4.5 uses!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Trying to find someone to borrow from but unfortunately I was usually the person everyone borrowed from. LOL Thinking about investing in a pair of Lister Star clippers.
    I love my Dublin-ator

Just checked the warranty and it's only a 1 yr limited, so basically useless to me. Sigh
    I love my Dublin-ator

Send an email off to the manufacturer anyway - along with pictures
    - maybe you'll get something

halfway through our full body clip
    This is actually not an unusual look for FP he was clipped early this fall (went rather smoothly) & then clipped again a month later
    - over 3 days , with final touchups completed on Day 5

Hmmm. Reminds me of the time I had wrapped 50 egg rolls and my deep fryer gave up the ghost.( In the summer, when there was no way I was going to do the proccess in the kitchen, in a pot, with a thermometer, instead of in the auto temp controlled deep fryer on the porch, as usual).
    Hop in the car and buy a new set. Painfull, but not quite so much as the alternative..

I did have a little fun in the ring with my fellow boarders. Instead of calling inside/outside, I called clipped and unclipped. LOL Got lots of laughs from it. Interesting to see him sweaty on only one side afterwards...
    I love my Dublin-ator

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Showjumper28 View Post
    I did have a little fun in the ring with my fellow boarders. Instead of calling inside/outside, I called clipped and unclipped. LOL Got lots of laughs from it. Interesting to see him sweaty on only one side afterwards...
    You will have to give in eventually and even him up.. If not, you will be required to write a paper on the management of the clipped/unclipped horse..

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, making a blanket decision kind of stopped me in my tracks. LOL Don't want to keep the one he has been wearing because it's not enough if he is clipped, but he is only half clipped. Don't want to over heat him either. Decisions, decisions....
    I love my Dublin-ator

Fling yourself to the ground and cry in frustration! It pays to have two sets of clipper on at least a friend that has a pair because at least for me, something always goes wrong in a body clip!

I had this happen. I had no idea what the problem was and I was desperate. I googled clipper repair for my area on my phone, shaking and near tears. Found a barber shop. I took the clippers to the barber shop and the guy fixed them in about 2 hours for me, in between hair cuts. It was that little plastic drive thingy that fits into the blade. Is that the same thing as you are talking about? He had the part there.

I read the title and all I could think of was that the OP needs to post photos of the half clipped horse to share the cuteness.

7 members found this post helpful.

Trying to find someone to borrow from but unfortunately I was usually the person everyone borrowed from. LOL Thinking about investing in a pair of Lister Star clippers.
    Are you near me (South Jersey) I can lend you a pair of clipmasters.

If everyone borrowed from you, are you sure the clippers only got used 4 prior times or didn't get broken by a borrower? Sometimes it's hard to know what happens once they leave your hands...
    ~Veronica

Are you near me (South Jersey) I can lend you a pair of clipmasters.

If everyone borrowed from you, are you sure the clippers only got used 4 prior times or didn't get broken by a borrower? Sometimes it's hard to know what happens once they leave your hands...
    ~Veronica

vxf111 Thank you for the offer! I live in Toms River, horses are out in Allentown. If I can't find the old pair today, I may have to take you up on the offer.

The old pair is the one I always loaned out. They worked pretty good after I had them repaired, but weren't powerful enough to get through may last horse. (He was a yak!)

Gumshoe - Unfortunately the amature is basically the whole mechanism on the inside. I am lucky to have very mechanically inclined people in my house. (Clearly I am not one of them! Lol)

I will try for pictures today! Last year was his first time he was ever clipped, and it took me 20 minutes to even get them near him. The second time last year wasn't much easier. This time he was still freaked out, but he let me get to work right away, and it was coming out really well! Figures....
    I love my Dublin-ator

I am around this weekend. I would have to see if I can find blades, but I assume the blades are ok on yours and you can just take them off and put them on mine while you're using mine.
    ~Veronica

This happened to me when I was clipping my friend's pony earlier this year. I got fed up and went out and bought a new pair of Lister Stars.... Best. Decision. Ever! I got my Clipmasters repaired, they did it again, and then the guy who fixed them rebuilt them completely for free. Needless to say, I don't regret the purchase price of the Lister Stars. I clip 20+ horses a year and they are so much lighter, easier to use, and don't blow hair in your face/eyes/nose/mouth! Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    This happened to me when I was clipping my friend's pony earlier this year. I got fed up and went out and bought a new pair of Lister Stars.... Best. Decision. Ever! I got my Clipmasters repaired, they did it again, and then the guy who fixed them rebuilt them completely for free. Needless to say, I don't regret the purchase price of the Lister Stars. I clip 20+ horses a year and they are so much lighter, easier to use, and don't blow hair in your face/eyes/nose/mouth! Good luck!!!
    Yes those are what I am thinking of buying. Too bad smartpaks sale ends today... I don't get paid until Friday... Sigh

Vxf111 Thank you again! Yes my blades are like new... Going to barn in a few to see if my clippers are hiding there...
    I love my Dublin-ator

Contact Smartpak. I had that happen once- needed to place an order, wanted the discount, but needed to wait 2 days so I could deposit my paycheck. They held the order for me, gave me the discount, and just processed it that Friday. It never hurts to ask, at worst they say no.