The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Speed bumps, potholes, slow signs for our gravel road?

Looking for ideas on how to suggest a slower driving speed to those coming down our road. It's not really a road, per se...a gravel offshoot shared by 3 houses from the main road.

There are already potholes that *I* have to strategically dodge, but I think those with softer suspensions than mine don't have an issue. I can't reasonably add a speed bump, so...

Has anyone had any luck with signs? We are the middle property in the line, the third property is a smaller boarding facility. Worst offenders are actually the BO's and what I think is one of their employees, the boarders seem to be pretty good about going slow. I don't want to piss anyone off, but it worries me with the horses and dogs and cats - and within the next year or two will be working on popping out a little baby Heinz. Our house is literally feet from the edge of the road, so I see and hear when the cars go flying by, and it would be easy for an animal (or child) to dart out into the road unexpectedly.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I would start with a funny sign, like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drive-Slow-A...item3a54396e83 and then move onto something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whoa-Slow-Do...item1c2d25184c and if those don't work, have a talk with the other boarding barn's owner. We have a similar set up, and finally did have to and still occasionally have the "slow down" talk with the speedsters.

I would start with a talk to the offenders, the BO and employee. Then I would still put signs.

If that doesn't work, advise the neighbors and BO that there will be a new bump on the street and really do it.

I believe that ultimately, you'll have no choice but to build one. People don't listen nor learn such things unless there is an accident. And even then...

2 members found this post helpful.

What slowed me down on a gravel road was something about DUST more than critters. The sign said something about "help us keep the dust down" or something like that.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck to you. I think it's impossible to get people to slow down on a dirt road....well, anywhere for that matter. I live about 1/2 a mile down a dirt road, and it goes another 3/4 mile past my house. My arena sits out near the road and I watch people fly by at 40+ miles per hour sometimes. We have speed bumps, but the speeders have figured out that they either have to hit them at less than 5 mph or greater than 40 mph...guess which they pick?

One teenager is terrible and bound to hurt someone one day, and Mr. PNW and I are planning to go talk to her dad. But one of the worst offenders is a police officer who lives at the end of the road. We've talked to him about it and he's all but told us to shove it.

But if you find a sign or an answer that works definitely post it here....I would LOVE to figure out how to slow down some of our neighbors!

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Do you own the road - meaning is it privately yours and your neighbors to fix and maintain - or does it belong in the public domain?

If public, you might present your concerns to your local government to see if they would either erect a speed sign, or consider implementing some traffic calming measures.

If it is a private road, then employing traffic calming measures would be my suggestion. They have been proven to work, far better than signs or speed bumps.

<soto voce> You didn't hear this from me, but ... one cannot ignore that strategic placement of fresh horse poop piles on the road has a way of momentarily checking people away from the Indy 500 mindset. Manure is easily replaced, biodegradable. Messy on the tires and car body. Rather like a "natural" traffic calming.
    Last edited by gothedistance; Nov. 28, 2012 at 05:38 AM.

I used to board at a barn whose driveway was full of potholes. The owner left them just to slow people down and it worked.

A clever person on a dark night can easily make potholes bigger too.

Don't ask me how I know this.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's easy enough to make a little berm on a gravel road, but as another person that lived within feet of the "private" road I'll tell you that you can only control yourself so you need a fence and good latches on any outward bound doors to keep the little one safest.

You can ask, plead, wheedle, bribe and throw big honkin' rocks at all the other speeders but it only takes one.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    It's easy enough to make a little berm on a gravel road, but as another person that lived within feet of the "private" road I'll tell you that you can only control yourself so you need a fence and good latches on any outward bound doors to keep the little one safest.

You can ask, plead, wheedle, bribe and throw big honkin' rocks at all the other speeders but it only takes one.
    I know, and we have every intention of installing a secure, complete perimeter fence as soon as we finish up saving the money. I will admit that it annoys me to hear people blasting down the (one lane) road - it's disrespectful IMO - but I know not everyone feels that way. It's not even a long road, just a few hundred yards or so.

To answer some other questions, the road isn't owned by any one person, but is also not maintained by the county (and is outside the city limits). The road is literally only used by us, the neighbor (BO's), barn staff, and boarders. Our cat is a barn cat, dogs don't go out unsupervised, etc.

I'd like to know that myself! Road traffic is always tricky. From time to time, I put up a "HORSE CROSSING" sign or a CAUTION: WATCH FOR HORSES" sign along the road about 50 or 100 feet from my driveway, but I can't claim that either has been very successful. Also they seem to make good alternative targets for kids playing mailbox baseball.

Driveways can be a bit easier, especially if they are gravel drives. Some (usually very young) drivers enjoy speeding UP when they see a "Caution Speed Bump" sign because they're hoping for some air time. I've had reasonably good luck with two signs: one reads

CAUTION
    LOOSE GRAVEL

and the other (thank you, George Morris) reads

DEAD SLOW

The first one makes drivers a little nervous about their car's paint and windscreen. I think the second one just makes drivers a little nervous.
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

To answer some other questions, the road isn't owned by any one person, but is also not maintained by the county (and is outside the city limits). The road is literally only used by us, the neighbor (BO's), barn staff, and boarders.
    I know (hope?) you're not trying to be deliberately vague, but....if I read between the lines, this appears to be a public road (even if you feel the county is too disinterested in maintaining it for your taste). If that is the case, you have no right to do anything to the road - even "improve" (deepen) the potholes, or put in a speed bump,or install a berm, etc. To do so is illegal.

Your plan to put up a good strong fence is the best alternative. And maybe a nice, thick hedge just to the inside of the fence to hide the speeders from view.

Sadly, signs just don't cut it with a lot of people, especially those who are rude to begin with.
    Last edited by pdq; Nov. 28, 2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdq View Post
    I know (hope?) you're not trying to be deliberately vague, but....if I read between the lines, this appears to be a public road (even if you feel the county is too disinterested in maintaining it for your taste).
    I doubt it's a county/public road. The road we live on (along with 20+ other houses) is owned by the landowners and we have a Road Association that we've formed as a neighborhood to maintain it (even though we're really too spread out to be considered a neighborhood), and that seems to be the norm out here (though may not be where the OP is).

The only thing I could think of to make your neighbors slow down is something physically forces them to slow down.....speed bumps or strategically placed potholes should do the trick

But the OP said it wasn't owned by anyone (or HOA), and only that the country didn't maintain it. So it is either a private right of way (each part of the road is owned by each landowner per their deeds, but allowing access across each property to the interior property(ies).... or it is a public road that is pretty much ignored by the county because it is small.

Maybe the OP can enlighten us this time.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Instead of a bump, make a ditch--no matter how fast or slow you hit those suckers, you feel it. Put up signs, but make them professional looking--those handwritten on a cardboard box in teeny letters versions don't impress anyone. Good luck, these situations rarely work out to everyone's satisfaction. Maybe, when you win the lottery you can pave!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

But the OP said it wasn't owned by anyone (or HOA), and only that the country didn't maintain it. So it is either a private right of way (each part of the road is owned by each landowner per their deeds, but allowing access across each property to the interior property(ies).... or it is a public road that is pretty much ignored by the county because it is small.

Maybe the OP can enlighten us this time.
    We were informed that the county maintenance stops at the pavement line. Assessor's map shows it as EA Shirley Rd, however, all of our addresses are that of the paved road (the one the gravel "road" is an offshoot of). None of us own it, and no "EA Shirley Rd" exists. I can't really speculate as to whether or not it is truly a county-owned road or why the county doesn't maintain it.

I have no need to be vague. I'm just telling you what I know.

Have any junker cars, trucks or trailers? Park them on either side the road so that drivers have to slow down and weave through. Or augment the existing potholes as noted above.

As far as signs, a favorite of mine is:

....SLOW
    CHILDREN

I don't know if this sign is effective at slowing traffic, but I always wonder whose children they are referring to...
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Sounds like an easement then. Which means someone has to own it. Your property plat plan should show that gravel road, and on who's land it sits.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    But one of the worst offenders is a police officer who lives at the end of the road. We've talked to him about it and he's all but told us to shove it.
    Which is why the very best thing you can do is befriend your BO at the end of the road before you do anything. IMO, a sign first and conversation second will come across as critical, imperious and anal.

Oh, and don't fix the pot holes. They are probably helping to do the job cheaply.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

After 7.5 years of maintaining a dirt "county road" (grading, mowing, scraping) it came to our attention via the County Commissioner that the CR is not such after all!! It is our own property "bought, paid for and taxed" as well as our liability as stated by the CC!! Our "nice" neighbors to the south have used it a couple of times a month to take a tractor to the shop or run an errand in that direction for 7.5 years. 5 months ago the son's family...including an "out of control" 20 yr. old grandson with a history of speeding and resulting accidents started using the road as a speedway. And the son..a contractor started hauling heavy loads of cement block and concrete over our very dangerously weak bridge...after we asked him not to overload it...and most importantly...they flatly refused to close our gate at the end of the day as per our request. Very much longer story shortened. The road is now blocked to their use. I know OP has a different senario, but....SOMEONE does own that road and that is importantant knowledge!! Go to the County Clerk's office and find out. It may be a situation like ours...OP MAY own the road and the others just have an easement to "use" OP's road...in which case they darn well better obey requests to slow down and drive sanely!! Good luck. Hope they slow down before something/somebody gets hurt. Neighbors can be such jerks!!! We lost a good neighbor because of his rude son and his family!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I know (hope?) you're not trying to be deliberately vague, but....if I read between the lines, this appears to be a public road (even if you feel the county is too disinterested in maintaining it for your taste). If that is the case, you have no right to do anything to the road - even "improve" (deepen) the potholes, or put in a speed bump,or install a berm, etc. To do so is illegal.

Your plan to put up a good strong fence is the best alternative. And maybe a nice, thick hedge just to the inside of the fence to hide the speeders from view.

Sadly, signs just don't cut it with a lot of people, especially those who are rude to begin with.
    I live on a county-owned road that is privately maintained. If the homeowners on the road don't maintain the road adequately, the county can come in and fix the road and bill us for the repair. What really happens is that some of us maintain our frontage and others do not and the county doesn't repair and bill the offenders.

I do agree with you that a good fence is the best answer and some screening would make it even better. All of that takes time and it sounds like it is in the plans for Heinz.

I would tread very lightly with your neighbors. Good neighbor relations can sour quickly and that isn't fun for anyone.